Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mules - is the nose cone gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys ... smh. Yes, I was in Palo Alto yesterday! I do not have my Model X! I have not signed an NDA regarding Model X delivery. There were no wooden containers involved. :)

I did pass near Kato Road and the test track on my way home, but I didn't stop. I didn't go behind HQ to get photos of the engineering cars in the parking lot. And nope, didn't have my phone ready to take shots 'just in case'.

I am a disappointment. :)

Next time you are out there, remember to take your camera!

Sigma-Ultra-Telephoto-Lens.jpg

I would argue that when it comes to the question of "is this the final version or not", the answer is indeed binary. Though, I guess your argument is that it could be "kind of" the final version.

I suspect when everything is revealed we will find that people don't agree the answer is binary. Some will say "see, it looks the same" and other will point out all sorts of small differences and the first people will go "but those don't really matter".

I'm definitely of the opinion that these mules are "kind of" the final version. I don't believe the final version will have a gap under the front edge of the hood, and if that is right then body parts have definitely been altered. Now some will argue that is just trim and doesn't count, but I believe it does. If I'm wrong and just ripping off the tape on the front reveals exactly what the car looks like then it's the final version.

I suspect when everything is revealed we will find that people don't agree the answer is binary. Some will say "see, it looks the same" and other will point out all sorts of small differences and the first people will go "but those don't really matter".

I'm definitely of the opinion that these mules are "kind of" the final version. I don't believe the final version will have a gap under the front edge of the hood, and if that is right then body parts have definitely been altered. Now some will argue that is just trim and doesn't count, but I believe it does. If I'm wrong and just ripping off the tape on the front reveals exactly what the car looks like then it's the final version.

Agreed--there are clearly some trim pieces missing/covered up on these prototypes (though fewer and fewer with each sighting). As I said above, it seems to me that the gap in the hood is the result of one of these missing pieces.

Just for clarity, since I seem to have become one of the main banner holders for the "these are final cars" camp, my view is this: The main body panels on the prototypes we've seen recently all reflect production designs; there aren't any "fake" or "old" panels being used anymore (EDIT: Note that there were, at one point--there was a trunklid that was bulbous enough to hide the spoiler).

There is still some very mild camouflage, which mostly consists of vinyl wrapping over what are final production design pieces of the nose cone, lights, and trim. Not all the trim pieces are present, though (see, e.g., frunk lid gap, fender trim), and the vinyl wrapping may be obscuring what (to some) are important details, like the presence of a nose cone or the color of same.

I expect that once the final model is shown (either at delivery or on a configurator) it will be clear that I'm right about the above, but of course I might be wrong, in which case bonnie will win our little wager.

and the vinyl wrapping may be obscuring what (to some) are important details, like the presence of a nose cone or the color of same.

Note that they could be obscuring actual visible features as well (or the fact that the hardware for the features has been roughly removed), like additional autopilot hardware or something we haven't thought of. Not saying it's likely, but it's certainly possible and would explain the secrecy.

Agreed--there are clearly some trim pieces missing/covered up on these prototypes (though fewer and fewer with each sighting). As I said above, it seems to me that the gap in the hood is the result of one of these missing pieces.

Just for clarity, since I seem to have become one of the main banner holders for the "these are final cars" camp, my view is this: The main body panels on the prototypes we've seen recently all reflect production designs; there aren't any "fake" or "old" panels being used anymore (EDIT: Note that there were, at one point--there was a trunklid that was bulbous enough to hide the spoiler).

There is still some very mild camouflage, which mostly consists of vinyl wrapping over what are final production design pieces of the nose cone, lights, and trim. Not all the trim pieces are present, though (see, e.g., frunk lid gap, fender trim), and the vinyl wrapping may be obscuring what (to some) are important details, like the presence of a nose cone or the color of same.

I expect that once the final model is shown (either at delivery or on a configurator) it will be clear that I'm right about the above, but of course I might be wrong, in which case bonnie will win our little wager.

What you claim is, as I have put on record before, the industry-standard scenario. Both removal of camo and addition of missing trim is standard, in this case the front trim missing is perhaps expected to house the Tesla logo - that is the kind of stuff often removed or hidden on camouflaged mules. In this scenario, the front and rear would be the parts that will look different (and interior) as camo is removed and trim is added (perhaps a bumper or light fixture changed), but nothing beyond that.

If the opposing camp is right about entire profile of the car being different (thus meaning different body panels), then Tesla has gone against the competitor precedent and surprised the industry I'm sure. One thing that might support this theory is the lack of patterned camouflage wrap on the entire car, unlike on competitors usually.

My opinion is, JST's scenario is more likely, but given how crazy Tesla is - and how the mules lack patterned camo wrap (only the harbour shoot had it) - I can not in right mind discount the second alternative either. I mean: if someone would be crazy enough to fake it, it would be Tesla. But yes, I do find JST's opinion grounded in industry precedent and thus at least not crazy.

My concept drawing showed what could be missing from that hole in the nose of the Model X mules:

attachment.php?attachmentid=84625&d=1434709010.jpg

[Concept] Model X image without nose-cone and A pillar cross-beam - Page 4

I sort of agree here. IMHO we're definitely seeing the final profile. I disagree that all it's missing is trim though. With the way the hood and lights don't fit well together, I think we'll definitely see different lights and possibly a different entire front bumper.

Possibly a different rear bumper as well.

In other words, I'm expecting bonnie and Nigel to be changing their signatures here soon. ;-)

Cheers!