Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X OEM Swiveling Screen Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sucks extra for everyone with their car stuck at Fremont knowing that they don't have this feature. Really shitty feeling.
I would think Tesla would make the swivel capability available with a retrofit to those who have already received their new X or S and don't have this feature.

Larry Li, who posted the first video of the tilting screen function on Twitter (https://twitter.com/TeslaFrunk) provides many cool automation upgrades for Tesla cars. Maybe Larry will offer a modification that will give us the tilt​

Would love to see how many people decide to do the manual tilt using the really nice instructions earlier in this thread. I can’t decide whether to wait on it or tilt mine about half way to the driver.

Also - for those that have the feature, is it all or nothing in each direction or can you choose any position?

As far as I could tell, it was April 22, 2022. Another SA told me that they have been told by Tesla that they cannot tell people if they will be getting swivel or not. So that’s that haha
Family has one on order, vin 341XXX, not 3410XX though, build date supposed to be April 27 but called tesla to update payment info and happened to ask if it will have the swivel, and was told no.

Update: after speaking to a different sales advisor, I was told the build date for my vehicle is 4/26 and it should have the swivel. My EDD right now is 5/11-17 but the vehicle is still stuck in the Bay Area and they have no idea when it’ll be shipped to my local delivery center.
Mine is supposed to be build date 4/27 EDD was 5/16-5/18, and I picked the earliest ofc :D, tesla customer service said it wouldn't have it. Haven't asked SA but I'm hoping this is accurate

Mine is supposed to be build date 4/27 EDD was 5/16-5/18, and I picked the earliest ofc :D, tesla customer service said it wouldn't have it. Haven't asked SA but I'm hoping this is accurate
Ya I’m not sure if the information I got is accurate at all and anyone I try asking now says they aren’t allowed to say/don’t know. Please keep us posted on if your car does have it when you pickup.

For anyone who don’t have tilt or worried about it.. I agree its a cool feature but the standard position is what I like the most.
Nope, wrong. You are 100% absolutely, unequivocally wrong. And the way I can prove that to you beyond any doubt whatsoever is for to look a few pages back where I mentioned that I don't care about a swiveling screen, but I was assured that, in fact, I do. I'm assured by many that I care. A lot.

The current screen positioning is borderline unusable, the only thing that can save it is a swiveling function. Never mind that the UI accommodates very well by allowing the frequently used functions to be placed on the left side of the screen and therefore easily reached. Also it's important to disregard someone who has well over 20,000 miles on a refresh interior (MSP and MXP) and let them know that they are clearly wrong about needing a swiveling screen.

Now that you've been corrected, please dwell in FOMO and contact your SA immediately so that you can demand a swiveling screen that they'll have no idea about.

its not cool that they do this sort of thing especially with waiting for such a long time and without even telling you and being transparent. At least should give the option to retrofit.
If they just announced a baseline of "A retrofit program is coming. Details are TBD." for features like this it would eliminate so much angst. Even if they charged us for the upgrade.

Honestly can't remember a more irritating buying experience, let alone for something this expensive.

I wish I could have more input but apparently my Tesla has been “in transit” for 2 weeks now even though I live 3 hours away from Fremont lol. Still waiting for VIN 3410xx with a supposed build date of 4/26

And based on the VIN number I feel like I’m one of the closer “on the fence” cars

Last edited:
OK, my fellow recently Swivel Deprived, what are we going to do about this travesty of justice?

Let's pivot this point 180 degrees

Let's barrage Tesla SC's and SA's until they are tilting with regret and concede to our demands for our right to pivot and swivel!

Swivel Denied unite!!

We should call ourselves: Swivel To Unite with Determination and Strength!! (STUDS... ) 😁😁😁

its not cool that they do this sort of thing especially with waiting for such a long time and without even telling you and being transparent. At least should give the option to retrofit.

If you were granted your wish, you would never get your car...

Imagine a world where Tesla announces all upcoming features that will be installed in the car over the next 9 months (I am sure there are people at Tesla that are working now on finalizing details for upcoming changes as we speak). You would be in perpetual agony....

A month ago, we did not have any pain associated with the missing swivel mounts... now, we have all sorts of anguish... This has got to be a real life example of Dante's Hell ! 😁:rolleyes:o_O😁

Reactions: Great White
If you were granted your wish, you would never get your car...

Imagine a world where Tesla announces all upcoming features that will be installed in the car over the next 9 months (I am sure there are people at Tesla that are working now on finalizing details for upcoming changes as we speak). You would be in perpetual agony....

A month ago, we did not have any pain associated with the missing swivel mounts... now, we have all sorts of anguish... This has got to be a real life example of Dante's Hell ! 😁:rolleyes:o_O😁
I totally agree, except the "swivel" "tilting touchscreen" was promoted from day 1 of the refreshed S and X reveal

I totally agree, except the "swivel" "tilting touchscreen" was promoted from day 1 of the refreshed S and X reveal
They normally hide features like this when it's feasible to do so, only to enable them via SW months later (think about the heated steering wheel in the 3/Y).

They didn't appear to do that in this case, which makes me slightly more optimistic that a retrofit program is in the works. But of course it would be nice for them to publicly confirm this.

Reactions: Great White