Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X P100D price to go up almost $10,000 4/24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if this will apply to inventory units. I read somewhere that Tesla is moving more toward having inventory for sale and de-prioritizing special orders. And there are a lot more inventory units than what you can see on the Tesla site or even TeslaInventory or EV-CPO.

That would explain moving to Toyota-like interior trim packs on a premium vehicle...

I think that is very likely. Tesla has no meaningful competition, particularly with the Performance models (the Rimac is not a meaningful competitor in any rational sense of the word). People who want the quickest production BEV will pay what Tesla asks, up to a point. If sales drop off after the upcoming price increase, Tesla will adjust the price.

On the Rimac, it was simply brought up by me because it was suggested Model S/X were the most powerful BEV on the market. Clearly that is not true. I am not suggesting it is in any way an alternative for most Tesla buyers.

As for no competition on a Performance Tesla, I'm not so sure. I think a higher than usual percentage have been going for the Performance Tesla, because the price delta has been quite reasonable. As it grows, with all the pack limit and counter issues plaguing the product and nothing much added in terms of other comforts, I wonder if Tesla's biggest competition isn't the rest of their own line-up. When people like @fiksegts go for a 100D, instead of P100D, you can see people doing that math - and that was before the 10k bump...

The Ludicrous update, I think, was the watershed moment when Performance really moved into a stratosphere of its own. This 10k bump will make it even more so. Maybe that is OK, since the future for Tesla is all about Model 3, but let's not pretend the value of buying a P100D doesn't get a bit worse a week from now.

As for Tesla adjusting price, yes, count on it if a demand lever is needed for Q3. ;)

In addition to the low-end price decreases (at least 60D battery upgrade price) and feature changes (Helix wheels retired, new 20" wheel color, center console for 6-seater rear) today, according to Electrek Tesla will increase prices a week from today. Especially notable seems to be the $9,500 increase to P100D:
  • Model S 100D: $95,000 to $97,500
  • Model S P100D: $134,500 to $140,000
  • Model X 100D: $98,500 to $99,500
  • Model X P100D: $135,500 to $145,000
Personally, having taken delivery of P100D in Q1, I already found the car very expensive compared to my expectations of what I was reserving back in 2014. This will take the top end further upwards, though at least the upgraded AC charger is included in the price.

Clearly this is Tesla using their now infamous reverse discounting (pre-announced price increase) to keep demand going for Q2 deliveries. Cars ordered this week can still be delivered to many places within the quarter...

Tesla confirms ‘slight price increases’ for 100D/P100D models next week after decreases for lower-end models today

Tesla’s least expensive vehicle is now the Model S 75 at $69,500 after overnight price drop & newly included options [Updated]

Any thoughts?
It's a long shot, but this could also be a way to control the inventory/resale of them post deliveries. It creates a bigger gap now between the standard versus performance models. It adds that sense of rarity for some people or it could be them temporarily deterring more orders in prep for the Model 3.

It's a long shot
I'm going to one-up you by going out on a WILD limb by saying the increase is for the new 2170 battery cells. I know they originally said the new batteries would go to Model 3 first but do you really always believe Tesla when it comes to time frames? Maybe production is better than anticipated. If Elon can pledge 100MW of storage to Australia in 100 days or it's free, I'm guessing they can churn these out fairly quickly and I bet the volume of P100Ds are much smaller than the rest of the line up. Think about it. It adds value to the Performance series along with more miles and weight reduction which could make it even faster.... Counter to the "Model 3 first" talk Elon did say new tech would come to S/X before 3.

I know, I know. It's BS but everyone else is speculating. There, have fun!

I'm going to one-up you by going out on a WILD limb by saying the increase is for the new 2170 battery cells. I know they originally said the new batteries would go to Model 3 first but do you really always believe Tesla when it comes to time frames? Maybe production is better than anticipated. If Elon can pledge 100MW of storage to Australia in 100 days or it's free, I'm guessing they can churn these out fairly quickly and I bet the volume of P100Ds are much smaller than the rest of the line up. Think about it. It adds value to the Performance series along with more miles and weight reduction which could make it even faster.... Counter to the "Model 3 first" talk Elon did say new tech would come to S/X before 3.

I know, I know. It's BS but everyone else is speculating. There, have fun!
Haha, it makes sense though. That out of everything seems to be a overall justified business reason and something consumers can agree with.

But weren't the new 2170 cells supposed to be cheaper??? Elon tweeted cheaper and more energy dense than 18650.
Exactly.
So perhaps the CAR 2170 cells are actually high charge. Less dense so more costly than the Power product ones. But, rewady for, say 200kW charging or more. CCS and SuC update. Really fast charging would warrant a premium.
Another justification after the fact could be updated motors that don't heat up halfway a quarter mile.
Lucid Air will be more powerful by a good margin, 2 years from now.

But weren't the new 2170 cells supposed to be cheaper??? Elon tweeted cheaper and more energy dense than 18650.
Part of me is just waiting for Elon to say "Surprise! The 100kWh battery had 2170 batteries all along!" I mean, why else would there have been a delay with EPA, 40 more miles of range compared to the 90D, and the high-amp charger now default with the 100kWh and not the other configs. I can only wish...

Part of me is just waiting for Elon to say "Surprise! The 100kWh battery had 2170 batteries all along!" I mean, why else would there have been a delay with EPA, 40 more miles of range compared to the 90D, and the high-amp charger now default with the 100kWh and not the other configs. I can only wish...
Except the P100D battery pack has already been dissected by that guy that does the real battery capacity calculations. He got a pack from a totaled car. And it still had the 18650's.