Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cuts- yet again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 years of free supercharging for $2500. Curious, is that enough to convince people to buy a new car?
Doubtful. The people that can comfortably afford S/X likely own a home where they can install charging, which is the easiest and most convenient way to charge an EV.

One would really have to go out of your way to only supercharge your car to maximize the free supercharging value. Not only drive to/from the supercharger but contend with possible lines at the charger and sit and wait 15-30 min each time.

Even if you just use it for road trips, it’s not worth $2500 for most people. Let’s say you take a weekend trip that uses 100kWh round trip which amounts to like a ~3 hour trip one way. You would have to take such a trip 50 times in 3 years or over 16 times a year at $0.50/kWh supercharging price (higher than average) to make up the $2500. In other words that’s about 5000 miles of road tripping per year at 3mi/kWh or 333Wh/mi.

Needless to say, that’s not a very common use case which is what Tesla is banking on and they’ll come out ahead overall in the end.

Doubtful. The people that can comfortably afford S/X likely own a home where they can install charging, which is the easiest and most convenient way to charge an EV.

One would really have to go out of your way to only supercharge your car to maximize the free supercharging value. Not only drive to/from the supercharger but contend with possible lines at the charger and sit and wait 15-30 min each time.

Even if you just use it for road trips, it’s not worth $2500 for most people. Let’s say you take a weekend trip that uses 100kWh round trip which amounts to like a ~3 hour trip one way. You would have to take such a trip 50 times in 3 years or over 16 times a year at $0.50/kWh supercharging price (higher than average) to make up the $2500. In other words that’s about 5000 miles of road tripping per year at 3mi/kWh or 333Wh/mi.

Needless to say, that’s not a very common use case which is what Tesla is banking on and they’ll come out ahead overall in the end.
Except people who spend a lot of money like "free" stuff. You fly first class and you get free drinks. Of course your ticket cost 3 times as much as coach. I have a 2020 X with free life time unlimited supercharging. In 3 years I drove @ 60k miles. A lot of out of town driving. To pull me into a new X I think they are going to have to make that transferable or really sweeten the pot with a lower price an/or dramatic improvements. Raising the price might have been more psychological to get people off the fence who might have been waiting for prices to drop more. Scare them into acting before prices go up again. Could be a roller coaster year.

Thanks for doing the math for me.

Even if I save $2-3000 per year with free charging, it’s the 30-60 min of waiting and driving that makes it not worth it.

3 years of free supercharging for $2500. Curious, is that enough to convince people to buy a new car?
it’s enough for me. I caught 84k price, which was 15-20k more a few months. Was about to place my order on hold in hopes of another price cut. Glad I did not. I am travel nurse who works at multiple hospitals and free super charging is awesome for me. Hospital chargers always broke and I sold everything, so no mortgage/home (not homeless folks). Living debt free and traveling the world in my New Model S LR to be delivered any day. I keep my battery around 50-60% and will likely trade in 3-5 years, who cares about battery degradation from chronic super charging. I believe the warranty covers the battery for a bit of time.

With the real-time data they have on ordering behavior as they adjust pricing, they'll eventually see that this latest revision will further slow sales on S/X. They're basically behaving like an online retailer.
At least with an online retailer , they reduce prices when they have too much overhead. Tesla is behaving more like a crack head as the crack head makes bad decisions.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Bucketz and AMPd
it’s enough for me. I caught 84k price, which was 15-20k more a few months. Was about to place my order on hold in hopes of another price cut. Glad I did not. I am travel nurse who works at multiple hospitals and free super charging is awesome for me. Hospital chargers always broke and I sold everything, so no mortgage/home (not homeless folks). Living debt free and traveling the world in my New Model S LR to be delivered any day. I keep my battery around 50-60% and will likely trade in 3-5 years, who cares about battery degradation from chronic super charging. I believe the warranty covers the battery for a bit of time.
You're crazy if this persuaded you to purchase.

I've had my 2018 Model X 100D with free unlimited supercharging for nearly 5 years now and supercharge all the time and take many long road trips (2-4K miles round trip several times a year). Teslafi says I have supercharged 324 times and saved $1,272.99.
The math simply doesn't add up. That's why they offer it.

Except people who spend a lot of money like "free" stuff. You fly first class and you get free drinks. Of course your ticket cost 3 times as much as coach. I have a 2020 X with free life time unlimited supercharging. In 3 years I drove @ 60k miles. A lot of out of town driving. To pull me into a new X I think they are going to have to make that transferable or really sweeten the pot with a lower price an/or dramatic improvements. Raising the price might have been more psychological to get people off the fence who might have been waiting for prices to drop more. Scare them into acting before prices go up again. Could be a roller coaster year.

This is true but the car itself is simply overpriced and increasingly falling behind on common technology and safety/convenience features present in cars that sell for half it's price, never mind $100K with 5.5%+ interest rates on auto loans.
It doesn't even have rear cross radar when backing up...... nor a hands free hatch opener... it lost the USS and can't even park itself now without spending an extra $6K on enhanced autopilot which doesn't even work as well as it use to 4 years ago now. It's bizarre.

This is true but the car itself is simply overpriced and increasingly falling behind on common technology and safety/convenience features present in cars that sell for half it's price, never mind $100K with 5.5%+ interest rates on auto loans.
It doesn't even have rear cross radar when backing up...... nor a hands free hatch opener... it lost the USS and can't even park itself now without spending an extra $6K on enhanced autopilot which doesn't even work as well as it use to 4 years ago now. It's bizarre.
Some of those are regressions that should be addressed with software updates, while others are convenience nice-to-haves. But I do agree, it would have made more sense to increase the price if it were accompanied by these and other new features like bumper cameras, 360 view, matrix headlights, etc.

Some of those are regressions that should be addressed with software updates, while others are convenience nice-to-haves. But I do agree, it would have made more sense to increase the price if it were accompanied by these and other new features like bumper cameras, 360 view, matrix headlights, etc.
When these things you suggested are added, I will then buy. Maybe by October-Nov. the X will get these new features.

When these things you suggested are added, I will then buy. Maybe by October-Nov. the X will get these new features.

You mean October-Nov 2024? Possibly.

Just pick up this and make me jealous... same build out here in California was $121k + $30k markup. It's pretty tough finding a black-out Escalade with the magnetic ride control and adaptive air ride suspension. But that's the wombo-combo.

You mean October-Nov 2024? Possibly.

Just pick up this and make me jealous... same build out here in California was $121k + $30k markup. It's pretty tough finding a black-out Escalade with the magnetic ride control and adaptive air ride suspension. But that's the wombo-combo.

Lol, 2024…probably true. I know the X is finally getting the matrix headlights based on current reports. But the lack of rear cross traffic and 360 is a no go, especially since they raised the price. If I were to get similar priced Suv, I’d probably get a loaded X7 M60i since it offers rear wheel steering and it will have the new 8.5 UI system that looks pretty impressive. I am in no rush.

Lol, 2024…probably true. I know the X is finally getting the matrix headlights based on current reports. But the lack of rear cross traffic and 360 is a no go, especially since they raised the price. If I were to get similar priced Suv, I’d probably get a loaded X7 M60i since it offers rear wheel steering and it will have the new 8.5 UI system that looks pretty impressive. I am in no rush.

I wonder why there'd be a CPO already... maybe some dude missed their first payment and it got repoed hah