TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Range

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by EVger, Sep 13, 2015.

1. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR;YLR

It gets curiouser and curiouser: I found the Monroney sticker for the 2012 Sig S, and it claims the same 38 kWh per 100 miles.

20160509-IMG_9599.jpg 20160509-IMG_9600.jpg

• Informative x 2
  2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

#242 ohmman, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    IIRC, there were other errors on the stickers. Some listed rear facing seats, for instance. I get the feeling they aren't a very reliable source of information.

• Like x 1
  3. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Just look at the fuel savings estimate, they are off by almost $4,000! ;)

• Funny x 1
  4. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

The fuel savings is likely because the cost of gas is lower than it was 4 years ago. Also, maybe the average of all cars is a bit higher now.

5. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

The early sigs came with a mocked up sticker, take a look at the options listed on your sticker and see is same are Model S only (I do not recall the specific items), if they listed the Model S options then they likely have other copy/paste issue also.

• Like x 1
  6. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR;YLR

@dwebb66: if you look at the photos I posted, my car is not that early, with a February 2016 build date; neither is anything on the Monroney sticker obviously mocked up: all the features and options are appropriate for a Sig X P90D.

7. Gzrgmr

Gzrgmr Member

The Inn that is in front of the SC has a very good restaurant and bar. Try their french toast with ham and swiss!

8. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. The EPA efficiency numbers are from the wall, including conversion and charging losses.

The car reports kWh and wh/mile from the battery pack - and according to some threads, the car may not be including all power used (there seems to be some question as to whether HVAC and overhead/vampire while the car is on gets included.)

9. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Assuming all the numbers on both sheets are accurate and that the testing is the same (both of which I believe to be true,) the only possible conclusion is that the 90 kWh X draws about 6% *less* energy from the wall than the early 85 kWh S does.

This may sound odd, but I think it is actually correct. Something changed either about the car's charging or the way Tesla/EPA tested the car around the time of the D release. If you look at EPA numbers for an early 85 and an 85D, you can clearly see there's a discrepancy:

Compare Side-by-Side

As you said, the 2013 S85 gets 265 miles of range at 38 kWh/100 miles - meaning 2.65*38 = 100.7 kWh from the wall consumed during the test run.

But the 2015 85D gets 270 miles of range at 34 kWh/100 miles - meaning 2.7*34 only 91.8 kWh consumed.

Obviously the car is a little more efficient in driving, which is where the extra 5 miles of range come from.

In my opinion, though, the really interesting question is where did those other 9 kWh of power go to. At this point, the only two answers I can see are a significant improvement in charging efficiency or a change in the test protocols. (Tesla never re-rated the S85 before they discontinued it - a 2015 still shows the same numbers as the 2013.)

There was a lot of discussion about what this discrepancy meant at the time of the D introduction, with no real answers reached that I saw.

In the meantime, your X getting 250 miles at 38 kWh/100 miles => 2.5*38 = 95 kWh consumed makes reasonable sense - it is charging somewhat higher than the 85s do with a post D efficiency or test protocol.

The 2 significant figure kWh/100 mile numbers are probably why you only see a 3.2 kWh apparent difference from 85 to 90 - a 2016 S P90D shows 94.5 kWh with this method, while a 2016 S 90D shows 97.

Compare Side-by-Side