Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NorCal to Victoria BC Road Trip - Day 1 - Stopping overnight at Ashland, OR

So far EVTripPlanner has been pretty accurate. I used settings for S90D 21" tires 1.2 Speed Multiplier, 72 cabin temp 101 outside temp and 500lbs payload.

In car trip planner was ready at Corning SpC to go with remaining 6% to reach Mt Shasta SpC. We charged to 16% remaining and made it to Mt Shasta with actual 7% remaining. We needed to have Range Mode On and got warnings to drive slower than 65mph.

This morning is the drive to Seattle, WA and I am concerned with Ashland to Springfield SpC leg. EVTripPlanner is telling me to not stop at Grants Pass SpC but is also telling me I will use 227 miles worth of energy which makes me very nervous. If I stop at Grants Pass, it will still be pretty full so it will be slow charge but maybe it will help to keep me sane. There is nothing between Grants Pass SpC and Springfield SpC, I believe.
View attachment 183603
Final Trip Summary:
We completed our trip with roughly 2100 miles roundtrip starting from Folsom, CA and covering Seattle, Victoria BC, Vancouver BC, Everett (for the Boeing Factory) and Stevenson, WA (Columbia River Gorge). The average energy usage was 359Wh/mi with a range from 240wh/mi to 470wh/mi between charging stops. Majority of driving was on auto pilot. On the return trip, we did 13 hours (driving plus charging) from Multnomah Falls, OR to Folsom, CA. I drove the last seven hours 10pm to 5am Grants Pass to Folsom and I could have never done that if it was not for the convenience of using auto pilot. I took 30-40 minute naps at the two supercharging locations and arrived home 5am in pretty good shape on Friday morning. I actually was able to go to work 9am.

Here are my observations on different components:
Autopilot - it worked beautifully most of the drive. There were 3-4 instances where it lost the lane and I couldn't see why as lane markings were pretty clear, straight road etc - no obvious reason. It worked great on both US and Canadian roads - highways as well as internal roads. It took the curves of I5 around Mt Shasta - Grants Pass section really nicely especially where they have signs for 50mph on curves. I had my TACC set to 75 and it would automatically slow down to 59 when needed. Though my hand was hovering on the steering, there wasn't any occasion when I needed to take over control even when there were large semis in the next lane on a curve.
Miles/Kms - it was very convenient to quickly change from Miles to Kms when we off loaded from the ferry in Canada. Much easier to work with distances and speed restrictions when your car is using the same units as the location.
FWDs - The FWDs are very functional especially when it is raining. They worked great in the cramped parking of auto ferries. They would go up nicely avoiding cars or beams and you can leave them open while people walked through the aisles. However, they are a huge crowd magnet. Everywhere we stopped and opened the FWDs, people on the sidewalk stopped to take pictures and ask questions. My family had to get used to driving around with a "celebrity".
Front Doors - I had to disable auto present on the front driver door as it would constantly open and shut when I was taking bags out or loading them. There is a need to improve this feature or at least have a temporary disable button on the Doors page on the console. Totally hated the driver door self presenting on double click when I didn't need to get into driver's seat. It hit another car the first time in the auto ferry.
Valet - Had to valet the car couple of times. None had any experience with Model X though some were used to Model S. Even had a valet in Vancouver who has reserved a Model 3. I disabled the auto present for valet (again - I wish this would be part of Valet setting - there is no need to have the auto present for the valet). Valets get confused as to why the door handles don't pop out like they do for Model S. They also have a hard time unlocking the charge port. What I figured was that when you give the key to a valet - turn off the auto present and tell them - single click to lock and double click to unlock and that the charge port won't unlock unless they unlock the car. It's good to question the valet a bit to see if they are really comfortable driving a Tesla. At the Seattle Waterfront Marriott, I didn't get a good feel and told him I want to drive it down myself and he piloted me on foot to the basement parking.
Storage - initially we planned to give the second and third row to each of our two kids so they could spread out. However, then there were too many snack bags on the carpet around their seats and when you move the second row up to let the person in the third row out, it would crunch everything in front of it. After the first stop, we went from minivan mode to SUV mode - flattened the third row and put all snack bags on top. It was way more comfortable getting in and out in this configuration thought it meant there was more interaction (aka fighting) when they were sitting in the same row.
XPel Wrap - I think the wrap helped a lot in cleaning the car quickly. I carried Chemical Guys EcoSmart Waterless CarWash, B.E.S.T. Bug Remover (its a must for road trips) and Invisible Glass and some microfiber cloths. However, the biggest benefit of XPel was noticed upon return. There is an inch and a half mark on the hood - maybe a pine cone fell or a rock went up the hood. XPel took the damage and it didn't go below to the paint. Much of it has also healed but it is still a visible scar on the hood.
Trip Planner - The good thing about the trip planner is that it planned the supercharging route pretty nicely but it also sent us on long winded inside roads to avoid Portland's rush hour traffic - not sure if it saved anything after driving in single lane traffic with 20mph speed. However, I must admit that EVTripPlanner.com (thanks to @EVTripPlanner ) was way more accurate in its assessment of energy usage and expected remaining at each stop. The car's trip planner doesn't account for weather conditions - headwinds, rain and temperature. We left on a 100+ day. It was showing 113 in Corning and our climate control was set to 74 and that accounted for higher consumption. From this trip, I have learnt that my comfort level is to arrive with 25% expected remaining which equates to about 60miles even though the car's trip planner wants you to move on with anywhere between 6% and 15% remaining upon arrival at the next SpC. After charging to 25% expected remaining, we usually arrived between 7% and 26% remaining at the next SpC depending upon weather conditions. Headwinds are the silent killers of energy. Thanks to @SomeJoe7777. I used his TeslaWinds.com app in the browser to get a better understanding of what to expect. I wish there was some way to estimate higher usage in advance because of the headwinds and temperatures (high/low) before you get back on the road so you can charge more to compensate.
Range Anxiety - there were couple of occasions where I had range anxiety. I had posted this earlier after our first day. But it turned out, it was unwarranted. We charged in Ashland overnight and Grants Pass SpC was too close to stop and recharge and the distance to Springfield SpC was giving me range anxiety. We left Ashland with 253miles in the "tank" and drove 180 miles in 3 hours to Springfield SpC arriving with 56miles remaining. @NovemberXray reminded me to check the Plugshare app which showed at least three ChadeMo chargers between Grants Pass and Springfield. In Canada, there were signs where they have the EV DC charging stations. I wish localities in US would do the same.
Destination Chargers - Except for Victoria BC, we stayed at properties that have the destination chargers and they are usually pretty nice properties. It is very convenient to have your car charge overnight and be ready in the morning. The Ashland Plaza Inn is a beautiful property. However, it's destination charger is in the lower level and the narrow driveway to go down had my hair standing straight up. With the 72A onboard charger, I am also not hogging the charging spot all night. Most places have just a pair of destination chargers. However, the Skamania Lodge (Stevenson, WA) had four destination chargers though I didn't see any other EV charging there. They also have them in the open parking lot and is seemingly not restricted to their patrons.
Superchargers - we used the following superchargers on our route:
  • Corning, CA - it's located in the Rabobank parking lot. Starbucks and Subway nearby
  • Mt. Shasta, CA - it's in the Best Western parking lot. You walk past their front desk to get to the restrooms. Nice view of Mt. Shasta from the parking lot
  • Grants Pass, OR - this is in the really back of Black Bear Diner's parking lot and is not clearly visible from the road which is a one-way road. We drove past it twice - it was late at night too and then had to go around one-way streets to come back.
  • Springfield, OR - this was a busy spot - we saw one other Model X here. It is located in the Holiday Inn parking lot and there are three other hotels including a Marriott Courtyard. Several decent food options including an Italian restaurant within walking distance. Holiday Inn has great clean bathrooms easily accessible from the side door for the convention rooms.
  • Woodburn, OR - this was another not easy to find. It is located in the Elmer's Restaurant parking lot. I wish they had a sign as you can't see it from the road and we ended up in the RV/Mobile Home community.
  • Centralia, OR - easy to find - next to Centralia outlet mall. First stall gave us some trouble starting and by the time it started to work, a 2016 Model S came and parked in the paired stall though there were other open stalls. So I had to move my car to one that had an open pair.
  • Burlington, WA - this is in the Fairfield Inn parking lot. Saw only one other Tesla charging there.
Other things I carried with me but thankfully didn't need to use - the Tesla ChadeMo adapter and the Tesla Tire Repair Kit.

The J1772 comes with the car.

I haven't bothered getting the Chademo adapter yet, because it's currently only useful when traveling in Quebec, and so far I've only needed J1772 and Supercharger. With the new stations rolling out in Ontario I'll probably pick up the adapter.

Tesla doesn't have an SAE Combo adapter yet, probably because there are almost no stations out there. Yet anyway.

The J1772 comes with the car.

I haven't bothered getting the Chademo adapter yet, because it's currently only useful when traveling in Quebec, and so far I've only needed J1772 and Supercharger. With the new stations rolling out in Ontario I'll probably pick up the adapter.

Tesla doesn't have an SAE Combo adapter yet, probably because there are almost no stations out there. Yet anyway.
I assume then that the recently announced Southern Ontario charger roll-out will be using the ChaDemo standard? I've been considering getting that adapter, but wasn't sure how useful it will be. I do head north of Quebec City once or twice a year, so that may be another reason to get it sooner rather than later.
Anyone have any real world experience with the necessity of Chademo in Southern Ontario? How often do you use it? With regards to Quebec, I usually head to Mont St. Anne and/or St. Andre du Kamaouraska once a year.

Picked up my X on Thursday afternoon in Geneva, Switzerland. Was going to drive to southern Sweden that same night but postponed until Friday morning. Put on my Thule roof box with a Sea Sucker paddle board rack. And headed out in the wee hours of Friday morning.

View attachment 183834

The guesstimated time for the trip curtesy of Tesla's own NAV was 17hrs apparently not counting for traffic conditions and certainly not counting with my roof box :).

Final time for trip 21hrs! Mostly due to traffic re-routing and sundry. The roof box and speed through Germany gave me an acceptable 20% penalty so I charged with that in mind. Stopping twice more instead of charging longer each time. I calculated this would be less of a time loss since the faster charging at lower starting point. The only unknown performance was between Hamburg (Braak SuC) and southern Denmark (Nørre SuC) which seems to be a long way on the map but turned out to be a no worries at all with the ferry being a bigger electron saver than initially thought. The whole trip I was averaging about 310kw/km with long stretches just bellow the 300 mark.

Now I'm in southern Sweden for a couple of days and then we head up to Stockholm.

To be continued......... :)
How did you put the Thule box?

Full trip report to come (once I get home and fully caught up). Just wanted to throw this "big sky" windshield shot out here. In the afternoons, we found we preferred using the sunshade, but in the mornings we really enjoyed the wide open views.
IMG_2353.jpg

2000 Miles in the X
Our trip was a "maybe" thing for a while because of family scheduling, but we were able to make it happen on short notice. I've got two kids, 6 and 9, and wanted to ensure they were entertained for the trip. My goal was to mix up city things (Universal Studios, Las Vegas pools and shows) with nature (Grand Canyon, Death Valley, geologic awesomeness along highway 395). I also wanted to leave breaks between long driving days so that Wohmman, who is not a road tripper, didn't leave me.

I won't go into painstaking detail on our actual vacation. I'll just say that it was a success - the mix of high-energy entertainment and nature was perfect. It makes sense, however, to discuss how the X performed.

To LA
We took the 101 down the coast as we'd dropped my mom off at SFO on the way to LA. Charging slowed us down a lot more than I'd expected, mostly due to the higher consumption of the X vs. my experience with the S. We charged at Gilroy, Atascadero, Oxnard, and our destination - Hilton Universal City.

Destination Charging Woes
Upon arriving at the Hilton, I was told that I'd self-park, but give the valet my key (and pay valet rates) because I was charging. That was not a problem and not unexpected. In the basement, they had two Chargepoint J1772s and a 14-50 with a sticker saying "Tesla Charger". I used my UMC, plugged in, 40 amps was flowing and I was set. As we'd arrived late, I got showered and into bed without checking on the car. When I woke the next morning, however, I noticed that I only had 32 miles of range. What had happened was that the valet had unplugged my car immediately after I left, and plugged in a Model S. He used my UMC as well. The good news was that I had another night in the hotel and didn't need the range. The bad news is.. well, it should be obvious. I was pretty worked up about it, and let the hotel know. They seemed to take my complaint seriously, but I still paid for parking. No follow-up to this point.

More Destination Charging Woes
After a day of Universal, we slept and left early for Williams, AZ, where I'd booked a Holiday Inn Express (with destination charger) for the night. Thankfully, I left with a high SOC (and you better believe I was watching the app like a hawk). Charged at Barstow (consumed 369 Wh/mi en route), Needles (372 Wh/mi), and Kingman (541 Wh/mi). In Kingman, we planned to sit in the car, but the AC was "limited" due to vehicle systems cooling. This isn't the first time I've seen it, but in this case "limited" meant off. The cabin was shortly over 100 degrees and we found ourselves buying ice cream at the Chevron across the street and lingering in their AC as long as possible.

We arrived in Williams and the HPWC destination chargers were dark. When I inquired at the front desk, I was told that yes, I could charge and they just needed to flip the breakers. But oh, by the way.. it's $25 to charge. I was sure to let them know that it's the first time a hotel where I'm staying has asked for payment to charge. I made the best case I could, but agreed to charge because I didn't have any other options. Maybe my expectations weren't well managed, but I was annoyed by the whole thing. We had other issues at the hotel as well. I've since contacted the Williams Best Western to provide them with all of the Tesla destination charging program information. :)

Grand Canyon - Destination Charging Satisfaction
Best Western Premier Squire Inn had two Tesla HPWC destination chargers at 80A each. They have a lockbox on each but provide you with the code. They don't cost anything on top of your room fee, and the employees are huge EV fans. Easy charge, and I was the only Tesla there while we stayed.

To Vegas
The road to Vegas included a single charge in Kingman (333 Wh/mi en route). The Four Seasons Las Vegas in Mandalay Bay has a Tesla HPWC in the porte cochere in front of the lobby. They kept the X backed in there, and I enjoyed seeing it whenever we left the hotel. Valets were outstanding.

Highs and Lows
After Vegas, we charged in Beatty (396 Wh/mi en route), and then headed down into Death Valley with a quick stop in the ghost town of Rhyolite.
IMG_2338.jpg

The drive down from Rhyolite into Death Valley was a full regen drive. Check out the consumption graph here (and excuse the blur and dust).

IMG_2340.jpg

We next charged in Lone Pine (362 Wh/mi en route), which took a while. I was planning on climbing up over 10k feet of elevation to see the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, then staying in Bishop (no destination charger), and hopefully hiking Bishop Creek the next morning. Once more, the climate was "limited" which meant "useless", so we took the opportunity to tour the Lone Pine Film Museum. Once we returned to the car, it was getting late and we needed to leave if we wanted to make the forest and the hotel before dark.

We did indeed make the climb up to over 10k feet above sea level and saw those awesome 4000+ year old trees. It's a good 45 minutes off of 395, but totally worth the climb.

IMG_2348.JPG

Back down the hill and off to the hotel, I realized I wouldn't have enough juice for my morning hike unless I got about 25 miles. The hotel (Creekside Inn) allowed me to plug into a 120, but I still only got about 20 miles overnight. Despite my charging issues, I really enjoyed this day. Being able to take the X below sea level, then up to 10k over sea level was pretty fun.

Mammoth Lakes
We skipped the morning hike, headed to Mammoth Lakes, and got a quick sip at the Supercharger (519 Wh/mi en route) before heading to the Adventure Center for the shuttle to Devil's Postpile and Rainbow Falls. In the evening, we headed to the Westin Monache, where the friendly and wonderful valets swooned over the X and took great care to get it charged by morning.

Home
We headed back home with a quick stop to Mono Lake, Tuolumne Meadows (Yosemite), and a few high altitude lakes along the way.
IMG_2390.jpg

We charged at Manteca (223 Wh/mi en route), though we might have been able to stretch it all the way home without the charge. At Manteca, I saw a fellow S owner who had his window broken in a smash-and-grab. I detailed this in the Manteca thread. He had a good attitude about it, but we all need to be careful leaving anything visible in the cars during Supercharging.

Conclusion
All together, it was a great trip. The X was a wonderful drive throughout, and while it took a bit longer than the S to charge due to the consumption rates, I still managed 360 Wh/mi over 1968 miles. I haven't talked much about Autopilot, but I kept it on at least 80% of the time that I was on a divided highway. My wife used it less frequently. It was unquestionably beneficial. I wouldn't want to take a long trip again without it.

The destination charging issues are something to keep in mind. Make sure the car is charging when you get to bed, and make sure to be clear with the valets about your expectations. Call ahead or check Plugshare to see if there's a fee for charging. Hotels won't always tell you on their website.

Can't wait to plan the next one.

Last edited:
Final Thoughts on the Drive to CO Sam & David Take the X to Colorado: Final Thoughts on the Drive to CO

Now that the crew is settled in to CO, and I'm already back from a quick jaunt to Toronto and London, I figured it made sense to come up with some conclusions, at least until Sam and I drive back to Long Island at the end of August.

Everything that all the glowing reviews say about the car is true - it's smooth, quiet, fast (too fast - but happily I moved to cruise control mode after my first speeding ticket in PA) and very fun to drive. No need to repeat all the accolades that many have already given it.

More interesting though is how driving an electric car, that needs to be charged fairly frequently, across the country really is. A few important observations:

1. Unlike a normal gas car, driving faster doesn't necessarily get you to your ultimate destination sooner. In a gas car, if you don't care about MPG, safety and speeding tickets, the best way to get to where you are going on a long trip as soon as possible is to drive as fast as possible. This is not a complicated concept.

But in a Tesla that's not true. Since there are still not that many Superchargers along the way you need to optimize your range between them.

I'll give a simple example: assume that the Superchargers are located 100 miles apart along the highway. With a car that can do >200 miles on a full charge you would assume that you would have to stop at every other station. But, remember, the 200 mile range is an estimate based on a number of assumptions, including how fast you are going. If you are driving too fast your range will decrease and if you are driving fast enough that the car no longer thinks it can get 200 miles on a charge, but let's say 180, when you get to the charger at the 100 mile point that you were planning on skipping, the car will urge you to stop there to charge, since it knows that you only have 80 miles left in the tank and have 100 miles to get to the next charger. Making more stops at 20-50 mins each will slow you down a lot.

Contrast this with a gas car. Of course driving faster in a gas car will yield you lower MPG, but since there are so many gas station along the way, it doesn't really matter which one you stop at - who cares if you have to stop 10 miles earlier than you had planned - you probably hadn't even planned at all where you were going to stop. Furthermore, since the gas stops are much quicker than the charging stops, it really doesn't matter all that much.

Based solely on our observations, Sam and I felt that 70 MPH was probably optimal based on the locations of the chargers. In other words, at that speed you would make it to the charger that the car expected you to make it to, and going slower almost certainly wouldn't allow you to make it to the next charger. 75 is probably still OK - 80 and above it a no-go. For a while we were coasting along at 85 (in a 75 MPH zone in Kansas) and this was definitely too fast and caused us to have to make an extra stop, which more than negated our faster speed.

2. The Superchargers are really nice in numerous ways. Firstly, they are fast, really fast. At home we went to the trouble and expense to install a 100A line to the wall charger and purchased the dual charging option for the Tesla to improve charging speeds. This got us up to speeds of around 45 MPH (yes - it sounds like a driving speed but it's also the charging speed - the car adds 45 miles of range per hour of charging). The Superchargers get up to 300MPH - that is insanely fast! You immediately notice the difference when you realize how thick and heavy the cable is to the car, and how Tesla was required to make the cable short, and therefore why you have to back-in to the spots to charge. Its interesting to note that the whole technology around the Supercharger is different - it is a DC rather than AC system - if you are interested in this you can read more about it here.

Another thing about the chargers is that they are almost always empty. Generally speaking the stations we found were either 6 or 8 stalls. Most of them were empty when we arrived and we didn't see anyone else using them (remember this was the weekend at some weird hours and some remote locations). In a few cases we saw one other Tesla, and I think there was only one or two cases where we saw two. This is good since the disaster scenario is that you arrive at one of these and they are full. I'm guessing that driving around the San Francisco area is a different experience.

But the nicest surprise about the Superchargers was the locations. The only ones I had seen in the past were either at the Syosset dealer on Long Island or the Superchargers along I-95 in CT, which were at rest stops right off the highway. Interestingly, most the chargers we ran into were a bit off the highway - not far, maybe 0.5 to 2 miles from the highway. This might not sound like a good thing but it was. It allowed us to get a small taste of the place we were at, rather than just another highway rest stop. Now don't get me wrong, these places weren't quaint towns - most of them had the same Holiday Inn Express, McDonalds and Applebee's, but it was still nice to get slightly off the beaten path to charge.

The last thing I'll mention here is how it has been now that we've gotten to our destination and lived with it for a week outside of our home, where there is a charger in the garage. The short answer is that it's been easy and great - but the longer answer may be that this is not necessarily conclusive. We are staying in a condo in Vail Village with a parking lot outside. The facility doesn't have an EV charger (despite that fact that we offered to buy one for them, but that's another story), so we have to count on charging at other locations. Luckily, the Vail Parking Structure has free EV charging available via the Chargepoint system. Its slow (17 MPH or so) but you can park there for free 24/7, so every few days we drive the X over to the garage and park there for the night. Luckily the garage is very close to the condo and this is no big deal. Now, if the closest charging wasn't walking distance and/or they charged for it, this would be a very different story and would seriously put a crimp in the whole experience. But since we knew these chargers existed we were relaxed about being able to use them.

I'm sure there is more to write about - as I think of other things I will add to the blog. And of course, keep an eye on this at the end of August when Sam and I drive back to LI!

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

2000 Miles in the X
Our trip was a "maybe" thing for a while because of family scheduling, but we were able to make it happen on short notice. I've got two kids, 6 and 9, and wanted to ensure they were entertained for the trip. My goal was to mix up city things (Universal Studios, Las Vegas pools and shows) with nature (Grand Canyon, Death Valley, geologic awesomeness along highway 395). I also wanted to leave breaks between long driving days so that Wohmman, who is not a road tripper, didn't leave me.

I won't go into painstaking detail on our actual vacation. I'll just say that it was a success - the mix of high-energy entertainment and nature was perfect. It makes sense, however, to discuss how the X performed.

To LA
We took the 101 down the coast as we'd dropped my mom off at SFO on the way to LA. Charging slowed us down a lot more than I'd expected, mostly due to the higher consumption of the X vs. my experience with the S. We charged at Gilroy, Atascadero, Oxnard, and our destination - Hilton Universal City.

Destination Charging Woes
Upon arriving at the Hilton, I was told that I'd self-park, but give the valet my key (and pay valet rates) because I was charging. That was not a problem and not unexpected. In the basement, they had two Chargepoint J1772s and a 14-50 with a sticker saying "Tesla Charger". I used my UMC, plugged in, 40 amps was flowing and I was set. As we'd arrived late, I got showered and into bed without checking on the car. When I woke the next morning, however, I noticed that I only had 32 miles of range. What had happened was that the valet had unplugged my car immediately after I left, and plugged in a Model S. He used my UMC as well. The good news was that I had another night in the hotel and didn't need the range. The bad news is.. well, it should be obvious. I was pretty worked up about it, and let the hotel know. They seemed to take my complaint seriously, but I still paid for parking. No follow-up to this point.

More Destination Charging Woes
After a day of Universal, we slept and left early for Williams, AZ, where I'd booked a Holiday Inn Express (with destination charger) for the night. Thankfully, I left with a high SOC (and you better believe I was watching the app like a hawk). Charged at Barstow (consumed 369 Wh/mi en route), Needles (372 Wh/mi), and Kingman (541 Wh/mi). In Kingman, we planned to sit in the car, but the AC was "limited" due to vehicle systems cooling. This isn't the first time I've seen it, but in this case "limited" meant off. The cabin was shortly over 100 degrees and we found ourselves buying ice cream at the Chevron across the street and lingering in their AC as long as possible.

We arrived in Williams and the HPWC destination chargers were dark. When I inquired at the front desk, I was told that yes, I could charge and they just needed to flip the breakers. But oh, by the way.. it's $25 to charge. I was sure to let them know that it's the first time a hotel where I'm staying has asked for payment to charge. I made the best case I could, but agreed to charge because I didn't have any other options. Maybe my expectations weren't well managed, but I was annoyed by the whole thing. We had other issues at the hotel as well. I've since contacted the Williams Best Western to provide them with all of the Tesla destination charging program information. :)

Grand Canyon - Destination Charging Satisfaction
Best Western Premier Squire Inn had two Tesla HPWC destination chargers at 80A each. They have a lockbox on each but provide you with the code. They don't cost anything on top of your room fee, and the employees are huge EV fans. Easy charge, and I was the only Tesla there while we stayed.

To Vegas
The road to Vegas included a single charge in Kingman (333 Wh/mi en route). The Four Seasons Las Vegas in Mandalay Bay has a Tesla HPWC in the porte cochere in front of the lobby. They kept the X backed in there, and I enjoyed seeing it whenever we left the hotel. Valets were outstanding.

Highs and Lows
After Vegas, we charged in Beatty (396 Wh/mi en route), and then headed down into Death Valley with a quick stop in the ghost town of Rhyolite.
View attachment 186779

The drive down from Rhyolite into Death Valley was a full regen drive. Check out the consumption graph here (and excuse the blur and dust).

View attachment 186783

We next charged in Lone Pine (362 Wh/mi en route), which took a while. I was planning on climbing up over 10k feet of elevation to see the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, then staying in Bishop (no destination charger), and hopefully hiking Bishop Creek the next morning. Once more, the climate was "limited" which meant "useless", so we took the opportunity to tour the Lone Pine Film Museum. Once we returned to the car, it was getting late and we needed to leave if we wanted to make the forest and the hotel before dark.

We did indeed make the climb up to over 10k feet above sea level and saw those awesome 4000+ year old trees. It's a good 45 minutes off of 395, but totally worth the climb.

View attachment 186786

Back down the hill and off to the hotel, I realized I wouldn't have enough juice for my morning hike unless I got about 25 miles. The hotel (Creekside Inn) allowed me to plug into a 120, but I still only got about 20 miles overnight. Despite my charging issues, I really enjoyed this day. Being able to take the X below sea level, then up to 10k over sea level was pretty fun.

Mammoth Lakes
We skipped the morning hike, headed to Mammoth Lakes, and got a quick sip at the Supercharger (519 Wh/mi en route) before heading to the Adventure Center for the shuttle to Devil's Postpile and Rainbow Falls. In the evening, we headed to the Westin Monache, where the friendly and wonderful valets swooned over the X and took great care to get it charged by morning.

Home
We headed back home with a quick stop to Mono Lake, Tuolumne Meadows (Yosemite), and a few high altitude lakes along the way.
View attachment 186791
We charged at Manteca (223 Wh/mi en route), though we might have been able to stretch it all the way home without the charge. At Manteca, I saw a fellow S owner who had his window broken in a smash-and-grab. I detailed this in the Manteca thread. He had a good attitude about it, but we all need to be careful leaving anything visible in the cars during Supercharging.

Conclusion
All together, it was a great trip. The X was a wonderful drive throughout, and while it took a bit longer than the S to charge due to the consumption rates, I still managed 360 Wh/mi over 1968 miles. I haven't talked much about Autopilot, but I kept it on at least 80% of the time that I was on a divided highway. My wife used it less frequently. It was unquestionably beneficial. I wouldn't want to take a long trip again without it.

The destination charging issues are something to keep in mind. Make sure the car is charging when you get to bed, and make sure to be clear with the valets about your expectations. Call ahead or check Plugshare to see if there's a fee for charging. Hotels won't always tell you on their website.

Can't wait to plan the next one.
@ohmman - great report especially the info on hotel destination chargers. What's up with them charging you for it? Tesla gives them the equipment for free and they can't let a customer staying overnight charge for free:mad:

But that's good info. Thus far I haven't run into these kind of properties but will need to be careful in future.

Reactions: ecrsail
I was also really surprised to read about @ohmman's experience being charged an additional $25 to use the EV equipment at a hotel/motel destination charger that I stayed overnight at, and certainly not $25 for a single night charge. I might expect that behavior at a casino in Las Vegas -- certainly not at a Holiday Inn Express in Williams AZ. I'll be sure to NOT stay at that establishment if I'm ever passing through in the future.

Most of the places I stayed at during my five week road trip earlier this summer were not set up at all to implement such a charge and viewed their charging equipment as an amenity to attract business from customers like me. This was as true at the Best Western in Missoula MT as it was at the various fancy bed & breakfasts that I stayed at in California, Oregon, and Washington. Even the bed & breakfast proprietors commented that they had not noticed any increase in their electric bills and would ask me what a single charge cost me at home to try to understand what it was costing them. As @xkwizit mentioned, they understood that Tesla has provided the chargers to attract customers and definitely appreciated my business (I always made sure the proprietors and/or front desk understood I had chosen their establishment because they were supporting EVs and thanked them for doing so).

What will definitely be needed in the future are formal reservation systems and policies at these destination hotels for sharing chargers as the EV population increases.