Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I've spontaneously created time to spend my Labor Day weekend finally breaking in Verity, and … let's just say that I'm extremely displeased with the results so far.

At the start, yesterday, I depended too much on my pre-existing Chicago – Montana roadtrip rhythm; Two days, stopping either in Fargo, Sioux Falls, or MSP (if I feel up to driving a long second day.) I knew charging would eat up some time, but I assumed I could make up for it by driving fast … I wish someone'd reminded me that driving fast, means charging for longer (or simply not making it at all; more on that in a second.) So, it's one AM on the second day, and I'm only in Rapid City; I've got at least ten more hours of driving ahead of me, and almost certainly another hotel-stay. (Boom, there goes all the gas-savings I'd expected with an EV … -_-)

Anyway, that part's noöne's fault but my own. Unfortunately, on top of that, I've heard that the car's built-in trip-planner is terrible; so I've been trying to make use of EVTripPlanner.com … and let's just say it's … not going well.

On the most recent two legs, I charged to 100% on a whim (was walking dogs one time, and eating a meal the second), despite having expected usages in the zone of ~328/400km and ~301/400km; and thank the lords above that I did, because I arrived at both Murdo and Rapid City with ≤7% remaining; and for the latter, I was freaking out so much, that I was drafting a truck at ~100km/h in a ~128km/h zone for half that leg.

I've read elsewhere here, tonight, on here how to tweak EVTripPlanner to sort-of-represent the Model X, but I did a poor job of it the first time around. I'd assumed a speed-multiplier of 1.2 and an additional ~500kg of fake ‘payload’ would account for the MX — not even close; that worked out to ~250Wh/km, and I get more like ~330Wh/km when drafting; much less when I have to forge a path! Turns out, about half the stops along I-90 turn yellow or red, now that I've tweaked EVTripPlanner more realistically (1.4x speed-multiplier, 1,000kg payload, and a few extra degrees of fake heat, give me a Wh/km in the ~300s). So that's fun.

iDfpH+

So, is this the Model X roadtrip experience? Despite having the largest battery Tesla's currently shipping, and it being ‘rated’ for 400km, the reality on the ground is a dearth of realistic estimation/planning tools, something like ~225km highway range, and debilitating ‘ranxiety?’ Or is this just South Dakota? Or am I doing something fundamentally wrong? (I'm happy to try anything; I'm already keeping the A/C off on any stretch over 200km, drafting semis, and travelling well underneath the 128km/h / 80mph speed-limit, despite the fact I'm already a solid day late to my destination … ugh!)

(Last week, I thought the $US 20k price-tag on the P100D battery-upgrade was, well … ludicrous. d: But right now, I'm starting to think that if 20k is what it costs me to make this vehicle roadtrip-capable … then I'd better start considering that an additional sunk cost to owning this damn thing! /=)

Thanks for listening to my rant. Any advice or criticism happily accepted. /=

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Sorry to hear your frustration, I'm currently on a road trip with the family and good EV planning is crucial when stretching the range. I noticed you have 22" wheels, an immediate range improvement of at least 10% can be had by just going with 20" wheels. The stock slip stream wheels provide for the best efficiency, they can be powdercoated or the next best thing is the T-sportline black turbines in 20" not as much of a watt hog as the 22". I'm currently averaging ~400Wh/m @ 80mph in 90 degrees with some slipstreaming. Good luck and safe driving.

the Wh/Mi (Wh/Km) go up sharply the faster you go. I think the biggest problem is doing 80mph. Another thing, what is the wind situation, if you're driving into a headwind, that will decrease range further. A 10 mph headwind is like driving 10 mph faster.

• Helpful
Reactions: Xminus6
I find the Tesla energy prediction to be quite good, but the navigation directions can be bizarre. It should be fine for hopping between Superchargers and following the Trip graph can be very helpful in managing speed.

Try this wind estimator running in your car since a little headwind can be a range killer.
Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

While on trips like this, track your car with TeslaLogs and submit data to evtripplanner so that all X’s can benefit from better predictions
EV Trip Planner
TeslaLog.com - Your hosted Tesla Data Logger - Announcement / Support threads

You’re traveling opposite these guys who have driven X from Mass to San Fran and are headed back along the northern US route. They may be able to give you some good practical advice Now You Know (in addition to not running on sport tires)

Surprised you would charge to 100%. Most of us have learned to charge for enough to get to the next charger plus a buffer. Best to arrive at a SC with lower miles as it charges much quicker.
Also, if necessary to charge to 100%, try to leave soon after you hit 100 - batteries don't like being fully charged - staying less than 90% will make them last longer.

I agree with all these replies. I took a 2500 trip soon after I received my Model X last month. I found it to be very accurate on it's trip meter. As other said, just charge enough to reach to the next charger and trip meter will tell you that. For factor of safety, I always charge till 20% charge left after reaching next charger. I never had any problem. Yes, it takes 15-20% more time than gas powered car, but you don't feel as tired because you have to charge the car every 2-3 hours of driving and you have to get out and move your feet, which makes you more alert. Proper charging station info and little bit of planning makes this long trip really enjoyable.

Reactions: GoCanes
I am more like you! Here is the wilds of Montana my car had me charge to full and go 205 miles through passes. I was definite anxiety, drafting, slowing down and arriving with 13 miles. Not horrid, but dropping to 70, then 60 when the speed limit is 80 is a pain! Wish the car would say how fast to go to reach the destination and that there were more superchargers.

I get more like ~330Wh/km when drafting; much less when I have to forge a path! Turns out, about half the stops along I-90 turn yellow or red, now that I've tweaked EVTripPlanner more realistically (1.4x speed-multiplier, 1,000kg payload, and a few extra degrees of fake heat, give me a Wh/km in the ~300s). So that's fun.

330wh/km is like 528wh/mile. That seems super high espeically if you're not towing anything and don't have the AC blasting.

I have no experience with plasti-dipping a car, I wonder if that is screwing up your aero? Can a skin affect aero that much? I don't know.

If we take the 250 miles and the worst case end of the 10-15% impact with the 22" wheels, you'll get 212.5 miles @ 65mph @ 100% charge.

330Wh/km is 206Wh/mile.

That said, speed kills range, and don't charge to 100% unless necessary. With current EV range at high speed is not adequate enough.

So just use 5%-80% or 90% of battery and keep speed like 70mph or at most 75. 80mph is very different world. This way you save a lot of charging time at Superchargers.

Additional tips.
Refrain from using regen as much as possible. Try to coast to reduce speed. Use range mode to save some power on AC. If it's raining and your windshield gets condensation, make sure you set the AC temp *below* outside temp; otherwise the heater kicks in and your Wh/km will skyrocket.

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan
330Wh/km is 206Wh/mile.

That said, speed kills range, and don't charge to 100% unless necessary. With current EV range at high speed is not adequate enough.

So just use 5%-80% or 90% of battery and keep speed like 70mph or at most 75. 80mph is very different world. This way you save a lot of charging time at Superchargers.

Additional tips.
Refrain from using regen as much as possible. Try to coast to reduce speed. Use range mode to save some power on AC. If it's raining and your windshield gets condensation, make sure you set the AC temp *below* outside temp; otherwise the heater kicks in and your Wh/km will skyrocket.

Or alternatively, do none of these things, drive the car and enjoy it, and stop and charge when you need to. That's what I've been doing for 2 years, works great.

I would also recommend against a pink wrap and referring to your car by a name.

330Wh/km is 206Wh/mile..
You multiplied when you should have divided.
1km = .62 mi, so 330 Wh/km = 330/.62 = 532 Wh/mi.

We have an S and have never seen power usage anywhere near that high. The worst we've seen is around 450 Wh/mi in a driving rainstorm at about 55 mph, normally it's around 325 Wh/mi on highways at 75 mph or so.

Reactions: Hengist
I was in Montana last week and I didn't have anywhere near the range problems that OP had. Granted, I'm in a Model S, not an X, but I was also travelling at SIGNIFICANTLY higher speeds. On a trip between Bozeman and Whitehall, which is about 120 miles round trip, I left Bozeman with about 200 miles of range and came back with about 50. For most of the trip I was running triple digit speeds.

I've always been pretty impressed with how efficient this car is at high speeds. (I have 19" wheels). Maybe the aerodynamics of the X really hurts efficiency at speed?