Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature Configuration has begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the 3rd row folds flat (It says "Flat folding, 2-adult third row" under the Signature Series standard features list). The 2nd row looks to be fixed (no adjustable back). There is no hinge in the pictures, and the controls on the side of the seat don't seem to indicate separate back and seat adjustment like the front controls. (It also says "Independently operable, 3-adult second row seats" on the features list -- no mention of fold flat.)

MOAR! This time with 20" rims.

Ext_red_20inch.jpg
Ext_blue_20inch.jpg
ui_option_cw02_1_large.jpg

This same argument was advanced with Model S... I disagree with it. Let's just use your example of "throwing in" ludicrous mode and towing, and a simple target of 20% gross margin (probably optimistic). $10.750 in options, so at 80% figure cost of $8,600. That would be the equivalent of a 6.6% interest rate over 3 years when compounded annually - something no company is going to do for their customers.

If you wanted to make your money grow, invest in TSLA. $40K loan gets you first access, and not much more (in fact, on Model S we paid an extra $6k for that ability).
You math in inaccurate for sure. It didn't *cost* Telsa $750 for the parts in the Towing option ... nor $10K for the parts in the Ludicrous mode.

View attachment 92622
This lightened photo from isandunkon reddit shows things a bit more clearly. I don't think anyone has mentioned that the 2nd row seats seem to show they can slide forward and backward...my non-engineer mind then can't imagine how these seats will be able to swivel/rotate. As was previously shown in user artwork, one way to get a "flat" storage space might be to slide the 2nd row all the way forward and then lay the seatbacks all the way back. With the third row folded flat there will be an almost flat surface. Third row is elevated compared to second row.

I still maintain what I said earlier. 2nd seat bottom rotates up against the front seat (note curve of bottom closely matching front seat's back) and then the 2nd seats back folds up (vertically) against the front seat back. Thus allowing easy access to 3rd row. However, to increase cargo space, 3rd seat's back merely lays forward - flat.

View attachment 92622
This lightened photo from isandunkon reddit shows things a bit more clearly. I don't think anyone has mentioned that the 2nd row seats seem to show they can slide forward and backward...my non-engineer mind then can't imagine how these seats will be able to swivel/rotate. As was previously shown in user artwork, one way to get a "flat" storage space might be to slide the 2nd row all the way forward and then lay the seatbacks all the way back. With the third row folded flat there will be an almost flat surface. Third row is elevated compared to second row.

Looking at these three pedestals in the second row, I get the impression that robotically one by one they can move forward swivel 180° then back into the backs of the front seats. This would open up ample space behind the second row in forward rear facing position. It would also be cool to watch the robotic choreography.

You math in inaccurate for sure. It didn't *cost* Telsa $750 for the parts in the Towing option ... nor $10K for the parts in the Ludicrous mode.

It's a rough approximation based upon the 20-25% stated gross margin on the Model S. We don't have specifics, but I guarantee it's probably close to that. And note I didn't say the cost was $750/$10,000. I took the $10,750 retail price and determined cost to be roughly $8,600 based on gross margin approximation.

EDIT: Here's the Model S thread on the same topic: Model X Configuration has begun! - Page 25

Signature owners were never promised anything more than earlier delivery and a unique color to the vehicle, in either Model S or Model X. If you put money down expecting more free stuff, that wasn't the deal.

The high capacity motors aren't free, neither are the towing pieces.

Last edited:
Isn't it quite possible that the photos shown so far are for a NextGen type of seat and that maybe those do not fold, but that there may be another seat option that does fold? Or maybe folding second row is a separate option?
Not everyone liked the Model S NextGen seats, so it would surprise me if that type of seat were only type available on the X.

Agree - this could easily be a premium seating option, where there's another manually operated type which is more flexible/lightweight/removable.

I'm highly dissatisfied with the dash and interior. It looks identical to the S. The didn't even fix the center console. You could forget which car you are driving based on the inside.

I am surprised you are surprised. It's based on the Model S, they need to save costs and share parts. This company has limited resources (and is building a gigafactory), and the interior is a lower ROI investment area. They can add features that cross pollinate from S to X to S for a lot less, with more return (as they charge for new features.)

Interesting: http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx/design redirects to the Model S design studio. It used to go back to Model X home page.

Who wants to bet the files are available for the full model, somewhere hidden under that directory? Including a front picture :)

has anyone noticed how the visors fold up and to the side window giving you a much larger front windshield without a visor blocking your view?

yup. been discussed

also theres lines on the back of the front seat that seem to indicate something might be built in, like an entertainment console.

I'm not so sure. The side photo that lets you peek into the X doesn't show much:

ui_category_battery.jpg

From the top view it would appear that the 17" screen is not fully integrated into the dash. It is floating and angled towards the driver

Good catch AIMc! From the other view, it looks like it rests against the front dash, so it's possible that it can pivot forward and side-to-side.

I think that may be a trick of the angle. To me it looks like the bottom of the screen comes forward so that the top is angled toward the dash.