Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Sold and Learned from it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a trade off isn't it? Cutting edge technology in some mind blowing cars... they are so popular now that there is a push to make them mass market friendly. But the push to simplicity in other aspects of the car also bugs me... especially when model 3 is causing them to simplify S and X to meet demand. I don't like the elimination of cool options, ventilated seats, leather, heads up display, I kind of wish Tesla would do a spin off luxury brand similar to Toyota and Lexus.... rather than keep eliminating interior options... but hey... I'm still obsessed with the car... I just wish we could pull off the whole luxury car thing without apologies.

Reactions: madodel
That was never in question :)

There is a crowd out there that lives in a bubble and is shocked that sometimes things are bad. They have shocking wake up calls, they take goldman sachs at face value, they want to see the manager.

Tesla's are an incredibly bad purchase for this crowd. Tesla's literally aren't for everyone, yet. Hopefully someday they are. Hopefully that is sooner than later but until that happens it behooves people to accurately assess things instead of living on expectations.
You are a great cheerleader. You remind me of the band that was still playing as the Titanic was sinking....lol

• Funny
Reactions: mmd
The bizarre thing to me is prioritizing parts supply timeliness to the extent that the OP does. I've needed parts for vehicles twice in 25 years. Once was for our X, which my wife backed into a parked car. We had to wait for a couple of weeks on that one. Sure, Tesla should get better and minimize the wait. But to cancel an order (and lose faith in a company's viability) for an issue that is very unlikely to affect an owner seems more than odd.

It's like saying I'll never buy Herman Miller furniture again because when a leg broke off of my table, it took them longer than IKEA would to replace.

No thanks.

The bizarre thing to me is prioritizing parts supply timeliness to the extent that the OP does. I've needed parts for vehicles twice in 25 years. Once was for our X, which my wife backed into a parked car. We had to wait for a couple of weeks on that one. Sure, Tesla should get better and minimize the wait. But to cancel an order (and lose faith in a company's viability) for an issue that is very unlikely to affect an owner seems more than odd.

It's like saying I'll never buy Herman Miller furniture again because when a leg broke off of my table, it took them longer than IKEA would to replace.

No thanks.

No, it's like saying IF you buy Herman Miller furniture and IF a leg breaks, and IF its a rare leg part which MIGHT take longer to replace.

Yeah - OP is the first time I've witnessed a case of Agoraphobia. It's frightening phobia to have. WOW

I think OP should just be banned from being able to buy Tesla's for life because the whining is way over the top - especially the Shark Tank reference.

Elon's done that before for really dumb critics.

Last edited:
No, it's like saying IF you buy Herman Miller furniture and IF a leg breaks, and IF its a rare leg part which MIGHT take longer to replace.

Yeah - OP is the first time I've witnessed a case of Agoraphobia. It's frightening phobia to have. WOW

I think OP should just be banned from being able to buy Tesla's for life because the whining is way over the top - especially the Shark Tank reference.

So you've diagnosed the OP with an illness and then want him banned for its symptoms? :)

Reactions: outie and Cowby

Yes, good idea. Ban me from buying Tesla's becasue I have concerns over parts availability, In your head I guess that makes perfect sense. Next.

popcorn.jpg

Yes, good idea. Ban me from buying Tesla's becasue I have concerns over parts availability, In your head I guess that makes perfect sense. Next.

You questioned Tesla's viability and think you are channeling Mark Cuban on Shark tank... this wasn't a "Help me through my concerns post".

This will be hilarious when this is you:

'Banned by Tesla': Elon Musk cancels customer's order because of blog post

Disclosure: I'm a TSLA share holder and I don't need your purchase. Only 999,999 Tesla's on the road at end of 2020 is fine by me.

• Funny
Reactions: alcibiades
Actually, I think he's made the right decision for himself. Everyone has their own decision criteria and for him, parts availability in a rare situation is more than he can handle. There's nothing wrong with that and he's made the right decision for himself. If you fear spiders, you will not buy something that has a spider living in it. Fair enough.

Saying that the thing is not viable because of his personal concern is where he gets tripped up and where the logic is faulty.

Given that his thought process is linear (A leads to B leads to C) and not about the larger picture (A means B XX% of the time which means that C happens YY% of the time), it can't be changed or informed. A always leads to B because they believe it to be true. There's not a discussion to be had. You can't get a better sense for whether Tesla is viable from a person who can only see things one way and therefore can't make an informed projection.

But it's still fun to watch :)

So I sold my Model X to order a Model S P100D. The speed of the S was my motivation. I decided to wait until the end of the year before ordering to see what new options may be available. In the meantime the guy who bought my X was hit after only 1 week of ownership by someone who smashed the entire front end and windshield of my former X. He has now had his X sitting at the repair facility for over 6 weeks and no parts yet from Tesla. WTF! Are you kidding me? Buyers of $100k plus car are not going to accept waiting 2 months to get parts for their cars. I don't care how good a salesman Elon is, it ain't gonna happen! Not only am I NOT going to order a new S but now I question Tesla's viability as a car maker. What will happen when they pull this nonsense on the less sophisticated buyers who don't have a 3rd or 4th car sitting around to drive while their Model 3 is in the shop for 6 weeks waiting for glass or a headlight! As the Sharks say on Shark tank...Sorry Elon, Im out. Very disappointed in Tesla.
Apparently buyers of $100K cars will in fact accept these delays because Tesla keeps selling them and the delays are well known. Hopefully getting better though.

Apparently buyers of $100K cars will in fact accept these delays because Tesla keeps selling them and the delays are well known. Hopefully getting better though.

Irrelevant. As you yourself have said, average people don't hang out on TMC. Most buyers probably don't know about the delays until it is too late to alter the purchase decision - they already have the car and something has happened. And as most people don't crash their cars, so most people will not know even afterwards...

Mind you, I'm not saying all / most buyers are thinking like the OP. Maybe none are thinking like him. I'm just saying your level of measurement is not really proof either way.

Personally I know about the delays and am willing to risk it. I'm not saying it doesn't give me pause, but for me that alone would not be a reason not to buy a Tesla. Others have other opinions and I respect OP's one too.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Given that his thought process is linear (A leads to B leads to C) and not about the larger picture (A means B XX% of the time which means that C happens YY% of the time), it can't be changed or informed. A always leads to B because they believe it to be true. There's not a discussion to be had. You can't get a better sense for whether Tesla is viable from a person who can only see things one way and therefore can't make an informed projection.

IMO that can be said of your responses. They are not really very thoughtful in the sense that they avoid cricism of Tesla and cheer for the banishment of critics of Tesla. That's not really IMO helpful.

The thing is: There clearly is a parts issue with Tesla repairs. This is not speculation or guesswork, it is a known fact. Tesla has set up a team where things can be escalated onto and they are scavenging the country and pushing the right people to find and get those parts. Many people on TMC have waited for months and months for their cars to be repaired.

Now, when this information is factored into a new Tesla purchase, the choice really is binary. You present all sorts of fancy percentage variables in your function, but in reality, in the end there is only one choice to make:

Does this parts issue affect your Tesla purchase? Yes/No.

For OP the answer is Yes, it does. For you - and indeed, as said, for me the answer is No. But really, neither of us are selecting from somehow a superior set or more nuanced set of answers. It comes down to: does this issue bother you enough to stop an order, yes or no.

Ridiculing OP for his choice, let alone dreaming of his banishment, is IMO unwarranted.

@Hitman007 has been a fine contributor on TMC and is a past Tesla owner. He most certainly is entitled to his opinion without such a response.