Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Model S top view comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

flar

Apr 20, 2013
[scottf200 has more recently posted a version with the 2 cut in half and spliced together here: Model X vs Model S top view comparison - Msg#21]

I grabbed a couple of similar images of the Model X and Model S from the threads on configuration and the current public Model S config page and put the images side by side (well vertically) to see how the layout and relative dimensions differ. I'll leave it to someone else to add any annotations that point out similarities and differences.

I tried to get the front ends lined up as close as I could and then measured the pixel size of both and it is close to the ratio of 198" / 196" so, other than possibly some perspective issues in how they were rendered, they should be fairly comparable vertically.

Some things I noted right away:

- The virtual floors are the same, but slightly different spacing on the "tiles"
- The hood on the X is shorter
- wheel wells match up pretty well
- X mirrors are noticeably further forward
- X dash is slightly forward
- X 1st and 2nd row seats are a little more forward

ModelX_ModelS_topview_sidebyside.jpg

Last edited:
I grabbed a couple of similar images of the Model X and Model S from the threads on configuration and the current public Model S config page and put the images side by side (well vertically) to see how the layout and relative dimensions differ. I'll leave it to someone else to add any annotations that point out similarities and differences.

I tried to get the front ends lined up as close as I could and then measured the pixel size of both and it is close to the ratio of 198" / 196" so, other than possibly some perspective issues in how they were rendered, they should be fairly comparable vertically.

Some things I noted right away:

- The virtual floors are the same, but slightly different spacing on the "tiles"
- The hood on the X is shorter
- wheel wells match up pretty well
- X mirrors are noticeably further forward
- X dash is slightly forward
- X 1st and 2nd row seats are a little more forward

View attachment 95459

Why don't you scale it so that the "floor tiles" are exactly the same size. Assuming they made the diagrams to scale then you could compare the actual vehicle size a little more apples to apples.

Pretty easy to scale in Photoshop assuming the steering wheels are the same diameter. Do an overlay with low opacity to align them and size it properly (I'm at work or I'd do it). Also, on the attached image, I would align the cars at the steering wheel...they are a little off here. However, I appreciate the effort of putting this up.

Why don't you scale it so that the "floor tiles" are exactly the same size. Assuming they made the diagrams to scale then you could compare the actual vehicle size a little more apples to apples.

The way it is already scaled, the ratio of the total length of the cars in the images is identical to their real-world reported lengths - 198/196. If I scaled it so that the tiles matched, the distance from front to rear bumper would not match the proper ratio. I believe the tiles are virtual as these are either CGI or heavily photoshopped images and the background tiles are more for show than to judge distance so I don't think there is any value (and a very obvious problem) if I catered to them.

Note that I'm assuming that the reported length of 198" that a few people have gotten when they've asked is accurate...

The way it is already scaled, the ratio of the total length of the cars in the images is identical to their real-world reported lengths - 198/196. If I scaled it so that the tiles matched, the distance from front to rear bumper would not match the proper ratio. I believe the tiles are virtual as these are either CGI or heavily photoshopped images and the background tiles are more for show than to judge distance so I don't think there is any value (and a very obvious problem) if I catered to them.

Note that I'm assuming that the reported length of 198" that a few people have gotten when they've asked is accurate...

Thanks for the work and the interesting comparison. I too think you've got them on the correct relative scale (the same).

Yes that's a good thought. It's always better to match size of the largest dimension than try to match a small feature.

Pretty easy to scale in Photoshop assuming the steering wheels are the same diameter. Do an overlay with low opacity to align them and size it properly (I'm at work or I'd do it). Also, on the attached image, I would align the cars at the steering wheel...they are a little off here. However, I appreciate the effort of putting this up.

I did have to do some scaling to fit the images side by side, but when I did so, the total length of the cars in the images worked out perfectly as compared to their 198/196 reported actual lengths so I didn't scale any further. I shifted them (very slightly) to match one feature and I chose the front of the bumper. I'm not sure it is any better (or worse) than choosing the steering wheel, but it made the wheel wells line up (incidentally) so that may be the best comparison. Also, the difference in hood lengths was the most striking feature that I noticed so this lines up to show off that difference best. Again, different people may want different things lined up and I don't see an easy way to do that other than to create a web page with some javascript which is beyond my level of interest in this endeavor... ;)

(To clarify, the scaling I did was because they were radically different resolutions. One was a 1200x??? image and the other was a 2560x1440 image so just to even have them in the same ballpark I scaled one to match the dimension of the other and then I noticed that the lengths happened to match without any further tweaking. I did have to move one sideways by a few pixels to get a better alignment of the front bumpers, but that was all - and you can see a funky line in the tiles in front of the lower car where I had to dup the background to cover the gap at the edge.)