TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X vs Model S top view comparison

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by flar, Sep 25, 2015.

1. flar

flar Member

#1 flar, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    [scottf200 has more recently posted a version with the 2 cut in half and spliced together here: Model X vs Model S top view comparison - Msg#21]

I grabbed a couple of similar images of the Model X and Model S from the threads on configuration and the current public Model S config page and put the images side by side (well vertically) to see how the layout and relative dimensions differ. I'll leave it to someone else to add any annotations that point out similarities and differences.

I tried to get the front ends lined up as close as I could and then measured the pixel size of both and it is close to the ratio of 198" / 196" so, other than possibly some perspective issues in how they were rendered, they should be fairly comparable vertically.

Some things I noted right away:

- The virtual floors are the same, but slightly different spacing on the "tiles"
    - The hood on the X is shorter
    - wheel wells match up pretty well
    - X mirrors are noticeably further forward
    - X dash is slightly forward
    - X 1st and 2nd row seats are a little more forward

ModelX_ModelS_topview_sidebyside.jpg

2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Thanks for your work flar. I had been wondering if they had expanded the cabin forward to generate more room. Now I know.

3. MileHighMotoring

Looks like less frunk, more trunk.

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah, I thought they might do something like this. Makes sense to fit the third row seats in. The frunk in the Model X is deeper, so should have some good room there anyways.

5. gfb107

gfb107 Member

I don't see how it is possible, but Tesla claims you can fit 2 golf bags in the Model X frunk.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Why don't you scale it so that the "floor tiles" are exactly the same size. Assuming they made the diagrams to scale then you could compare the actual vehicle size a little more apples to apples.

7. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Perhaps horizontally less, but I wouldn't be surprised if the increased depth actually created greater volume.

8. Jeva

Jeva BKINTME

Pretty easy to scale in Photoshop assuming the steering wheels are the same diameter. Do an overlay with low opacity to align them and size it properly (I'm at work or I'd do it). Also, on the attached image, I would align the cars at the steering wheel...they are a little off here. However, I appreciate the effort of putting this up.

9. mspisars

mspisars Member

If you look, I think he was trying to align wheel wells, since we know it is the same "skateboard" on both the S and X.

10. 1208

1208 Active Member

You stand them up and drive with the frunk open.

11. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

See-through front hood is one of the secret features Elon is waiting to announce next week. ;-)

12. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

I think with two in the Frunk and 3 in the 3rd row seats you SHOULD be able to go golfing with 5 people and their clubs. Of course that makes for a awkward 4 some LOL

13. MileHighMotoring

Oh, so the same way I do it in my Model S.

14. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Those are probably pretty close to accurate, there's only 2 inches difference in length between Model S (196" long) and Model X (198" long).

15. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Interesting that the steering wheels are more or less at the same position, despite there being larger visual position differences in seat and beginning of windshield.

16. flar

flar Member

The way it is already scaled, the ratio of the total length of the cars in the images is identical to their real-world reported lengths - 198/196. If I scaled it so that the tiles matched, the distance from front to rear bumper would not match the proper ratio. I believe the tiles are virtual as these are either CGI or heavily photoshopped images and the background tiles are more for show than to judge distance so I don't think there is any value (and a very obvious problem) if I catered to them.

Note that I'm assuming that the reported length of 198" that a few people have gotten when they've asked is accurate...

17. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

flar, nice work. Thanks for posting.
    ~Larry

18. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Thanks for the work and the interesting comparison. I too think you've got them on the correct relative scale (the same).

19. CarlK

CarlK Member

Yes that's a good thought. It's always better to match size of the largest dimension than try to match a small feature.

20. flar

flar Member

I did have to do some scaling to fit the images side by side, but when I did so, the total length of the cars in the images worked out perfectly as compared to their 198/196 reported actual lengths so I didn't scale any further. I shifted them (very slightly) to match one feature and I chose the front of the bumper. I'm not sure it is any better (or worse) than choosing the steering wheel, but it made the wheel wells line up (incidentally) so that may be the best comparison. Also, the difference in hood lengths was the most striking feature that I noticed so this lines up to show off that difference best. Again, different people may want different things lined up and I don't see an easy way to do that other than to create a web page with some javascript which is beyond my level of interest in this endeavor... ;)

(To clarify, the scaling I did was because they were radically different resolutions. One was a 1200x??? image and the other was a 2560x1440 image so just to even have them in the same ballpark I scaled one to match the dimension of the other and then I noticed that the lengths happened to match without any further tweaking. I did have to move one sideways by a few pixels to get a better alignment of the front bumpers, but that was all - and you can see a funky line in the tiles in front of the lower car where I had to dup the background to cover the gap at the edge.)