Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like the same status as the last time I checked in, thx.

If a 280-mile LFP Iis functionally/practically close to the 330-mile NMC, what would be the value prop for one or the other, except environment it'll be used in (cold favors LFP)?

I think from a marketing standpoint, most ordinary buyers would look at a 280 mile LFP and a 350 mile NMC as clean simple trade off between range and price. And the NMC would really be able to go 70 miles further when needed. The interesting wrinkle is that those of us enthusiasts who know a bit more and are running our MYLR's in the region of 20% to 80% might find that hypothetical 280-mile LFP pack to be pretty competitive especially if it came with a cheaper price on it. Just fun to speculate.

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
It’s like the car dealers who are adding $10K or $15K ADM to drive the car off the lot today instead of placing an order to get a car in 6 months. (That’s the story of my existing Ford order, and no way am I paying that ADM. I’ll sit and wait, thank you.) At least the $12K is going directly to Tesla rather than an opportunistic dealer. Those who pay for FSD are paying for future development and making the non-FSD cars cheaper for the rest of us, so more power to them. I’m not paying $12K for beta software either.
Dealership model for sales need to go away honestly. Dealerships in hot markers for Ford Raptors are now going 15-20k over ADM to whatever the hell. I've seen it sell for 35k over. What the hell

You can find dealers that are not adding the additional Markup. My local Toyota dealer is not marking up vehicles. On the other hand it is demand and low inventory. If people are willing to pay it why blame the dealer. There are plenty of people ordering Teslas and then immediately marking them up and selling them.
Tesla is also banning these people from buying another new one for the short term. That happened to someone in this forum who sold their 5 seater a couple months after taking delivery and ordered a 7 seater. After waiting almost 6 months, a few weeks from delivery and his order was cancelled because of the sale.

They considered the sale a breach of contract ( order placed in bad faith)

Tesla is also banning these people from buying another new one for the short term. That happened to someone in this forum who sold their 5 seater a couple months after taking delivery and ordered a 7 seater. After waiting almost 6 months, a few weeks from delivery and his order was cancelled because of the sale.

What is an acceptable number of months prior to selling? 6 months? 10 months? To me it doesn’t make sense to tesla to control that. If people are willing to pay more then so be it. Now if they have 10 on order and selling and buying more then I can understand.

And ford is cracking down on dealers who charge over msrp etc. Tesla really shouldn't control ehat people do after they buy it...
If someone is willing to pay it so be it. Stop worrying about what other people are doing

How does it push out ends? Edds are based on orders not resales. If anything it would shorten if people bought used and canceled their orders
It would push out EDDs because you would have businesses and individuals ordering multiple cars to flip and then when they resold them they would be marked up at a premium. You would have way more orders in the pipeline. Very similar to how it is with new gaming consoles when they are released. It is still that way with PS5s, they go for 50% more on the secondary market.

Reactions: Quad motor
Anyone thinking that Tesla might offer the supposed Model Y SR AWD to Tesla MYLR and MYP reservation holders first? It would be disheartening for Tesla to open up a new order book and queue first come first serve when MYLR and MYP have been waiting quite some time now. If they did that, I would seriously consider switching over from my MYLR order if it meant getting it faster and potentially it being a 4680 LFP battery at a lower price point.

And ford is cracking down on dealers who charge over msrp etc. Tesla really shouldn't control ehat people do after they buy it...
If someone is willing to pay it so be it. Stop worrying about what other people are doing

Tesla is doing what they can to stop people from buying and flipping cars for a profit. No intention of actually keeping one just making money off a hot item. All these people do is put $250 down and then evaluate the market , if they can flip it for a profit they take delivery, if they can't then they just loose $250 . Pretty easy money machine with no risk.

Look at the PS5, you are seeing people go out and buy hundreds of them and then mark them up and scalp them to people who can't get one. The Teslas are in even more demand . Tesla isn't controlling if you can sell your car they just won't let you buy another if you sell it within the first year of ownership ( while there is a backlog). Most legit owners who sell their new teslas within the first year have no intention of getting another . Why would someone wait 6 months to buy a car and then sell it and order another at an increased price .

Last edited:
Anyone thinking that Tesla might offer the supposed Model Y SR AWD to Tesla MYLR and MYP reservation holders first? It would be disheartening for Tesla to open up a new order book and queue first come first serve when MYLR and MYP have been waiting quite some time now. If they did that, I would seriously consider switching over from my MYLR order if it meant getting it faster and potentially it being a 4680 LFP battery at a lower price point.

Don't see why they would do this. The SR is a completely differnet model being made in another plant, its creation does not impact the LR or P ar all. If you want one8 then keep refreshing their website and be one of the first to order when it opens up.

Reactions: KJD
What wait for MYP? It’s less than 2 months. And nowhere near comparable spec wise. Why would you order a MYP and then settle for a slower lower range car? If you wanted slower go with LR and get linger range.

Now, LR AWD orders waiting 10 months might be a consideration since there wasn’t a lower priced or range model available. I would think it’s a no brainer to offer to these people.

Reactions: robeeen
Don't see why they would do this. The SR is a completely differnet model being made in another plant, its creation does not impact the LR or P ar all. If you want one8 then keep refreshing their website and be one of the first to order when it opens up.

I think it would make total sense from a customer obsession POV and optics, but they could very well do what you mentioned, which to me would be a really crappy way to roll this out.

What wait for MYP? It’s less than 2 months. And nowhere near comparable spec wise. Why would you order a MYP and then settle for a slower lower range car? If you wanted slower go with LR and get linger range.

Now, LR AWD orders waiting 10 months might be a consideration since there wasn’t a lower priced or range model available. I would think it’s a no brainer to offer to these people.

Yes I think more applicable for MYLR, while I do think MYP purchasers would probably be getting it because of the performance aspect, I have read from some people here who ordered MYP just because it’s a faster EDD, I myself considered it, but ultimately opted for MYLR.

Reactions: BGOwner

@ 10 months I think the LR they purchased would be cheaper then what the SR will go for. In either case its an order change , you can change your order any time from a LR to a P or later to a SR but all pricing gets reset so can't see why anyone waiting that long would switch

Reactions: BGOwner
@ 10 months I think the LR they purchased would be cheaper then what the SR will go for. In either case its an order change , you can change your order any time from a LR to a P or later to a SR but all pricing gets reset so can't see why anyone waiting that long would switch
Current orders are 9-10 months, I’m not talking about people 7 months in to an 8 month window. $63k vs whatever this is and getting a car in 3-4 months or less?

And again, all the recent people ordering are doing it because gas prices are finally such that they are driving the switch to EVs. Most of these people are buying MY because they need a crossover or space a crossover provides. For moving kids around town you don’t need 330 mile range. But that currently is the cheapest lowest range option. If a lower price option is introduced, it makes sense to offer them to the people with reservations for the next lowest priced option.

There are 100K+ MY's on backorder and they can currently make fewer then 1000 of these AWD versions a month.

I seriously don't know why they would offer a new varient to 100k+ people who already have orders in the system. They just are not going to do this. No new varient has been announced officially yet and when it is everyone will have the same opportunity to order one and then cancel their MYLR orders or contact their SA to change their order to the other varient . In either case most people who order an AWD will be on another backorder list.

What is an acceptable number of months prior to selling? 6 months? 10 months? To me it doesn’t make sense to tesla to control that. If people are willing to pay more then so be it. Now if they have 10 on order and selling and buying more then I can understand.

The libertarian in my would suggest that the customer is 100% free to sell after any amount of time they so wish, and Tesla is 100% free to decide who it wants to sell further cars to... or not.

Reactions: Tesraki
Why would someone wait 6 months to buy a car and then sell it and order another at an increased price .
Because maybe in 6 months there is a new trim with air suspension, heads up display, soft close doors, ventilated seats etc available - or some mix of these features would make me want to refresh of the current car early.