Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The libertarian in my would suggest that the customer is 100% free to sell after any amount of time they so wish, and Tesla is 100% free to decide who it wants to sell further cars to... or not.
But in that scenario one is restricting the other. It’s not like people buying an used tesla don’t know what a new Tesla cost. They just want one sooner so they are willing to pay more for it while others can wait. No one is forcing someone to buy an used tesla.

Because maybe in 6 months there is a new trim with air suspension, heads up display, soft close doors, ventilated seats etc available - or some mix of these features would make me want to refresh of the current car early.

Cars are not phones. One should not look at cars and think they need to buy the newest one every year. Heck people could( including myself) take that page and apply it to phones. One can easily wait 4-5 years before buying a new phone. Especially since smartphones have long reached maturation and each update is highly incremental than big changes.

But in that scenario one is restricting the other. It’s not like people buying an used tesla don’t know what a new Tesla cost. They just want one sooner so they are willing to pay more for it while others can wait. No one is forcing someone to buy an used tesla.

I am all for ensuring the person taking delivery of the car is the end user and not a flipper. It's one thing to take delivery, realize the 7 seater better suits your needs more, and sell the 5 seater. That scenario should not result in a banning. But it's another to buy with the intent to flip it. It just needlessly drives the costs up.

Just look at the tons of people who bought iPhone's with the intent of reselling. It reduces supply unnecessarily.

I am for the end user winning out over the flipper/scalpers. I know that isn't per se "free market" thinking. But time and time again, people in mass are not smart. Just have to look at the toilet paper buying spree people went on in 2020.

Because maybe in 6 months there is a new trim with air suspension, heads up display, soft close doors, ventilated seats etc available - or some mix of these features would make me want to refresh of the current car early.

It's highly unlikely any of that is coming in the next six months with the current back log.

The most likely upgrades people will get by pushing their delivery as long as possible are the ones that have already arrived in the Shanghai production line... rear double paned window glass, cargo cover, matrix headlights on all LR cars and maybe very close to the end of this year the Gen 4 Autopilot configuration since Gen 3 is not going to make FSD a reality despite Tesla's previous boasts.

Reactions: X Fan
There are 100K+ MY's on backorder and they can currently make fewer then 1000 of these AWD versions a month.

I seriously don't know why they would offer a new varient to 100k+ people who already have orders in the system. They just are not going to do this. No new varient has been announced officially yet and when it is everyone will have the same opportunity to order one and then cancel their MYLR orders or contact their SA to change their order to the other varient . In either case most people who order an AWD will be on another backorder list.

We'll see but it's not rocket science to coordinate. And some folks waiting for the lowest end MYLR build could easily have wanted to buy a lower cost SR. It's a buyer/customer match plus Tesla saves money by ridding longer waitlist folks from buying an MYLR at significantly lower price points. Win/win.

Tesla will roll updates gradually across all factories because this is what they do. They are a technology driven company. They LIKE making cool new features. They won't wreck their finances to force all factories to instantly deploy new tech, but they WILL roll it out as logistics allows.

Double pane rear windows, updated CPU, matrix headlights, and eventually updated battery packs will go mainstream at all plants, over time. It will happen on a schedule that's convenient for Tesla, since yes they DO have a huge backlog and very little market pressure - despite dozens of new models from other makers Tesla is still utterly dominant in market share (thank you supercharger stations)

I'll calmly disagree here. Each person gets to decide to buy, flip, resell, or not. They control THEIR choices, and the consequences of those decisions. Similarly a company gets to control the product THEY make, and who they sell it to. They can prioritize higher-margin products. They can make rules which discourage car-flipping. Or not. And again the carmaker gets to accept any consequences of their decision - if they offend large segments of their target market... it's their problem, or not.

I am going to be really interest in the Pricing of the lower range tesla. I testdrove an Ionic 5 this weekend and I really like it. The AWD has about the same range as the lower range tesla but it beat EPA estimates and the RWD version is 300 miles.

I have never been a Hyundai fan and there are things about it I don't like but I may have chosen it over the Y if I had the opportunity to drive it last year.

I am still thinking to order one to replace my other car, can't go wrong for the price after rebate. These cars aren't as efficient as Teslas but they feel and ride so much better. Tesla is on a money high at the moment since there isn't much choice out there. Things are starting to get real interesting.

I am going to be really interest in the Pricing of the lower range tesla. I testdrove an Ionic 5 this weekend and I really like it. The AWD has about the same range as the lower range tesla but it beat EPA estimates and the RWD version is 300 miles.

I have never been a Hyundai fan and there are things about it I don't like but I may have chosen it over the Y if I had the opportunity to drive it last year.

I am still thinking to order one to replace my other car, can't go wrong for the price after rebate. These cars aren't as efficient as Teslas but they feel and ride so much better. Tesla is on a money high at the moment since there isn't much choice out there. Things are starting to get real interesting.

The other issue (currently) with the Ioniq 5 and EV6 is the DCFC charging. Prone to charging speed reductions in both cold and hot weather. (Check out Bjørn Nyland's videos). It's expected they're going to update the software to reduce the temperature issues.

What did you think about the acceleration and the fun to drive aspect of the Ioniq compared to the Tesla.

What did you think about the acceleration and the fun to drive aspect of the Ioniq compared to the Tesla.
From a start, the AWD version felt like it had the same acceleration as the LR . At HWY speeds it still had some punch to it but not as much as the Y did. Steering was more responsive on the Y as well. Y is the more fun car to drive the 5 is definitley more user friendly, an older person would not have any issues getting the car moving :) . I want to drive the Limited with the reflected HUD

I didn't like the feel of the regen but I didn't try to adjust it .

This would be a local driver, home charging so the 270 would be enough . The MY will have the hitch on it so I'll use that for long range and towing until a truck arrives

Reactions: advocate8 and JDL@h
Did anyone else realized that he MY LR base price (after the recent increase to $63 with ETA Jan 2023) went down to $60K sometime on Sunday, March 20th with ETA Dec 2022, for a short time? Currently, it is back to $63K with ETA Jan 23rd.

I have screenshots on my phone showing $63K @ 00:28 on Sunday, March 20th and then $60K @ 15:00 the same day. (Just for clarification... It is not a browser refresh issue ;))

Just checking!?

Cheers,

Reactions: robeeen
Did anyone else realized that he MY LR base price (after the recent increase to $63 with ETA Jan 2023) went down to $60K sometime on Sunday, March 20th with ETA Dec 2022, for a short time? Currently, it is back to $63K with ETA Jan 23rd.

I have screenshots on my phone showing $63K @ 00:28 on Sunday, March 20th and then $60K @ 15:00 the same day. (Just for clarification... It is not a browser refresh issue ;))

Just checking!?

Cheers,
Wonder if it has anything to do with this:

Wonder if it has anything to do with this:

I was not aware of the "Edit" option and I am not seeing an "Edit Design Button" in my account.

Anyone seeing this new option yet?

Cheers,

Staying on my original topic about pricing...

I just realized a brief price fluctuation on Sunday and wondered if Tesla started to change prices like airline tickets 🤔😆

Joke aside... I always thought Tesla treated their products like "Stocks." Higher the demand, higher the price. In the same line of thought, I look at the improvements made (physical and over the air) as "Dividends." I know there are several fundamental differences between the two so please do not start a lecture on Stocks 😉

What I am simply saying is... Unless regulated/restricted by the government or suppressed by the lack of market demand, the price increases for the Tesla products are normal. Not to forget to mention the current issues with the "Supply & Demand Chains."

On the topic of "Improvements", that are continuously happening while ppl are waiting for their vehicles, I considered them to be "added bonuses."

In Theory, anyone who placed an order with a $250 deposit, have not yet made a purchase! We all are simply in line to purchase a product yet to be produced. I acknowledge the fact that we made the deposit based on certain specifications "marketed/listed" during that time and we would be expecting, at least, those specifications to be fulfilled. Any improvement(s) made "on top of" the initially listed specifications, without an increase to the price we agreed to pay, are most welcomed "added bonuses."

Being that said, if we do not receive certain improvements that were initially not listed, I don't thing we have the right to complain about them. Do we want them? Absolutely!!! However, I do not think we have the right to "demand" them.

Nevertheless, I would do as much as possible, within reason and ethics, to receive as many added bonuses as possible 😉

Cheers,

Just checking!?

Cheers,

Just went to the website. Says $62.9k

Staying on my original topic about pricing...

I just realized a brief price fluctuation on Sunday and wondered if Tesla started to change prices like airline tickets 🤔😆

Joke aside... I always thought Tesla treated their products like "Stocks." Higher the demand, higher the price. In the same line of thought, I look at the improvements made (physical and over the air) as "Dividends." I know there are several fundamental differences between the two so please do not start a lecture on Stocks 😉

What I am simply saying is... Unless regulated/restricted by the government or suppressed by the lack of market demand, the price increases for the Tesla products are normal. Not to forget to mention the current issues with the "Supply & Demand Chains."

On the topic of "Improvements", that are continuously happening while ppl are waiting for their vehicles, I considered them to be "added bonuses."

In Theory, anyone who placed an order with a $250 deposit, have not yet made a purchase! We all are simply in line to purchase a product yet to be produced. I acknowledge the fact that we made the deposit based on certain specifications "marketed/listed" during that time and we would be expecting, at least, those specifications to be fulfilled. Any improvement(s) made "on top of" the initially listed specifications, without an increase to the price we agreed to pay, are most welcomed "added bonuses."

Being that said, if we do not receive certain improvements that were initially not listed, I don't thing we have the right to complain about them. Do we want them? Absolutely!!! However, I do not think we have the right to "demand" them.

Nevertheless, I would do as much as possible, within reason and ethics, to receive as many added bonuses as possible 😉

Cheers,
Actually we placed an order and that $250 was a non refundable order fee. We pay the balance upon delivery but we have a signed contract for goods. It is NOT a deposit and not refundable (unless tesla can not fufill it) This is why Tesla needs you to agree to changes like radar being removed since it was part of some peoples origional contract.

The Cybertruck is a reservation not an order so there is no price locked in

Actually we placed an order and that $250 was a non refundable order fee. We pay the balance upon delivery but we have a signed contract for goods. It is NOT a deposit and not refundable (unless tesla can not fufill it) This is why Tesla needs you to agree to changes like radar being removed since it was part of some peoples origional contract.

What you said makes sense and why new deliveries are not getting Tesla Vision to sign, it was gone before they ordered.

Reactions: DrGriz

I believe there is a misunderstanding as we are both saying the same thing regarding the "Order" just in a different dialect ;)

Yes, we all have a "Motor Vehicle Order Agreement" with "Vehicle Configuration." And yes, the "Deposit" I refer to, in legal terms is the "Order Fee" which, as you mentioned is "non-refundable."

When Tesla makes a change, removes or takes away or replaces, to the initially listed specifications, they need to get the approval of the customer. We do agree on this 100%.

The "Added Bonuses" I am talking about are the changes made to the specifications that are NOT initially listed. Where in the "Agreement" does it specify the below listed changes and additions we have seen so far? This, obviously, is not the full list. Listing just a few for example.

1. AMD Ryzen
2. Double/Laminated front and/or rear windows
3. Li-Ion Auxiliary batter
4. All- Season tires

I will go as far to say and ask for a fact check that the;

1. Type of battery used
2. Body Structure (Front and Rear Casting)
3. Location of Manufacturing

are not listed in the "Agreement" either.

However, We do know the below listed few;

1. Range (on the specific variation)
2. Exterior Color
3. Wheel Style
4. Interior Color
5. Number of Seats
6. FSD or No FSD

Please do not hesitate to fact check any info I am putting down. I do not take positive criticism negatively.

Cheers,