Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully, this post is allowed:
At the EOQ when Freemont is only sending cars down the street, and Austin is up and running where will Austin send their cars? Will Tesla consumers in Texas still get Fremont cars or will Tesla leave some small part to be completed out of state, ship the almost completed car and finish it there, so that they can legally sell them back to Texans?

No, it doesn't really matter to me, as I live in the other T state, but waiting almost 5 months for a car you get to ponder things you otherwise wouldn't care about...
It could come down to what they produce and what you've ordered. You're supposing that they will make the same car your ordered in both locations. That may be the case... I don't know, but they may end up going about it a different way entirely. Either way, assuming they do produce the same car in both locations, I wouldn't even guess as to how Texas will handle the Texas delivery issue, other than to say I'm sure they will lobby hard during the next meeting of the state legislature to have that particular law amended!

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
The local ABC TV station in Austin reported today about the Tesla gigafactory::

"According to Travis County, areas of the massive factory have received certificates of completion which, according to the Austin Business Journal, is necessary to obtain before a business can open a building."

Also, it's being reported online that Elon plans a major announcement later this week.

It appears we will see the first production MY's rolling out of the Austin gigafactory within the next couple 0f days. I'm looking forward to Joe Tegtmeyer's next two reports from Austin (probably later today and again on Friday): Link:

Last edited:
OK, so here's my Evil Plan for Tesla sales within Texas:
  • Vehicle needs to be moved out of state for the sale.
  • Employee drives vehicle to neighboring state and back for delivery to customer.
  • This could be done with outside contractors.
  • Hire the prospective buyer as the contract driver. They pickup at the factory and "drive it out-of-state" (ahem) at their leisure.
Boom! Problem solved

• Employee drives vehicle to neighboring state and back for delivery to customer.
  • Hire the prospective buyer as the contract driver. They pickup at the factory and "drive it out-of-state" (ahem) at their leisure.
Boom! Problem solved
That there is what we in these here parts call a "Texas Employee."
should totally work!

In California, the sales tax is based on the registration address. I can go to LA and buy and car and register it to my OC address and pay 7.75% sales tax. If I register to an LA address the sales tax could be 10.25%. Assuming an in-state purchase for vehicles, it doesn't matter where it's sold, but rather your registered address.
Nope. It's a common misconception that part of CA State vehicle licensing is a sales tax.
Not a sales tax.....a USURY TAX. The State defines that as a tax for the Use and Maintenance of the highways and byways of the State of California.

How do I know? Not a trick question - actual experience.

I once purchased a vehicle in AZ, trailered it to CA, and registered it in CA.
The local DMV charged me full "sales tax", and that's how the DMV agent described it, despite my objection.
Knowing this was false, I petitioned the State of CA for a full refund.

How did I qualify?
Because the vehicle was never going to be on the roads in CA, always trailered, the tax was not applicable.

I actually got a phone call from the DMV in Sacramento, asking oblique questions about the vehicle and what I was using it for.
He described himself as a 30-year employee of the DMV and had NEVER SEEN a refund go out. Hence his .... test of me.
Gee, it only took 6 months to get the refund. And the State paid me interest on the amount as well.

The answer: the vehicle was a racecar. Never put on the street.

This is so far sideways. Nobody discussing even cares since this affects none of us.

In terms of your comment… I’m simply pointing out he’s using California rules to project assumptions on Texas. Bad idea. But yes, there may be similarities. However go back to the part I took exception with if you want to have that discussion. There have been multiple inaccuracies stated… and even in your statement it’s not exactly correct. Texas vehicle sales tax and use tax are two different things. If you buy a vehicle outside of Texas and bring it back to register it you pay sales tax based on your home address. State gets their sales tax, county gets theirs and city gets theirs (at whatever their rates are). All of this is irregardless of where you buy… in state out of state. Doesn’t matter. This keeps people from skipping over a county or another state and avoiding tax on a large vehicle purchase. Which is why the comment about dealerships increasing local sales tax revenue is wrong. And why I felt compelled to comment.

Again though. Worthless from this thread. PM me if you want to discuss more. Start a new off topic thread if you really want to discuss. But unless it deals with a MY coming out of the factory I’m out of this conversation.
In deference to Mr Budshark in St Louis, I am satisfied that the point I was trying to make regarding "dumb laws" has been revealed.
Laws sometimes defy "common sense". While it seems dumb, there are many reasons for their existence, not always obvious.
I believe we've shown that in a country with 50 States, 3141 counties (according to Wiki), and innumerable Cities, the jumble of laws is immense.
haven't we shown that?

The picking of nits notwithstanding, I hope we can all agree that it can be complicated, and beyond the intent of the original thread.
And we can all stay friends. :)

The local ABC TV station in Austin reported today about the Tesla gigafactory::

"According to Travis County, areas of the massive factory have received certificates of completion which, according to the Austin Business Journal, is necessary to obtain before a business can open a building."

Also, it's being reported online that Elon plans a major announcement later this week.

It appears we will see the first production MY's rolling out of the Austin gigafactory within the next couple 0f days.

Boom! Problem solved
S
In deference to Mr Budshark in St Louis, I am satisfied that the point I was trying to make regarding "dumb laws" has been revealed.
Laws sometimes defy "common sense". While it seems dumb, there are many reasons for their existence, not always obvious.
I believe we've shown that in a country with 50 States, 3141 counties (according to Wiki), and innumerable Cities, the jumble of laws is immense.
haven't we shown that?

The picking of nits notwithstanding, I hope we can all agree that it can be complicated, and beyond the intent of the original thread.
And we can all stay friends. :)
And of those 3,141 counties... Delaware has 3. Just saying.

It could come down to what they produce and what you've ordered. You're supposing that they will make the same car your ordered in both locations. That may be the case... I don't know, but they may end up going about it a different way entirely. Either way, assuming they do produce the same car in both locations, I wouldn't even guess as to how Texas will handle the Texas delivery issue, other than to say I'm sure they will lobby hard during the next meeting of the state legislature to have that particular law amended!
I guess it is possible they will only do 3s, Ys and Cybertrucks at one location and Ss and Xs at another. I would think that both will do everything though. Increasing their ability to provide all vehicles to anywhere in North America. But they will definitely be doing a whole bunch of "dinners" with Texas lawmakers in the mean time.

Boom! Problem solved
You need to pitch that to Elon....excellent idea.

Reactions: CyberGus
I guess it is possible they will only do 3s, Ys and Cybertrucks at one location and Ss and Xs at another. I would think that both will do everything though. Increasing their ability to provide all vehicles to anywhere in North America. But they will definitely be doing a whole bunch of "dinners" with Texas lawmakers in the mean time.

S/X are too low volume. Not worth the cost of setting up separate assembly lines when Fremont can supply all of those . . . for the entire world.

For every S/X made, Tesla makes 20+ 3/Y, and that number is just getting larger each quarter.

S/X are too low volume. Not worth the cost of setting up separate assembly lines when Fremont can supply all of those . . . for the entire world.

For every S/X made, Tesla makes 20+ 3/Y, and that number is just getting larger each quarter.
Agreed, hence my next statement that I think both [factories] will do everything.
Not only fewer cars, but more cost-effective to run two complete factories.

Agreed, hence my next statement that I think both [factories] will do everything.
Not only fewer cars, but more cost-effective to run two complete factories.

Elon has already stated that Fremont will be the ONLY production site for the S/X.

Am I missing a point you are trying to make? There will be no assembly lines in for S/X in Austin, Berlin, or Shanghai.

Reactions: tangible1
My other idea is for Tesla to invite Mexico to open an embassy next to the factory. By driving onto the embassy grounds, they are "leaving" Texas... ;)

Again, Tesla already addressed the issue in New Mexico where they built a Tesla SC on a Native American Reservation using the benefit of a local sovereign nation. And there's a few of those in Texas.