Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh. Ok. Right. Please continue to explain how California tax laws relate to your inaccurate statements about Texas which again you admit you know nothing about… in a thread about Gigafactory. I’ll lighten up by using the lovely mute button. This is a waste if you don’t see how your comments are pointless.
Texas and CA are the same in this regard. You pay a use tax for items purchased outside of Texas but used in Texas or items where the seller didn't charge sales tax. In CA, you self report this on your taxes so by not collecting tax at the sale, the taxes could be "avoided". Not sure if Texas requires proof of payment of this use tax before they allow you to register. And since I don't live in Texas, I used google to find the authority on the matter so please check out the link below if you doubt the accuracy of my information.

Are you sure? Initial production run will have higher quality control issues.

Not sure if it's in works in Texas but Musk figured that one out. He's known to negotiate deals on Native American reservation land. It brings much needed jobs to the res and Tesla service centers to the local area. It takes time of course.
He tried. The TX state legislature failed to update the law in time and now its likely stuck that way until the legislature meets again in another 18 months....

Texas and CA are the same in this regard. You pay a use tax for items purchased outside of Texas but used in Texas or items where the seller didn't charge sales tax. In CA, you self report this on your taxes so by not collecting tax at the sale, the taxes could be "avoided". Not sure if Texas requires proof of payment of this use tax before they allow you to register. And since I don't live in Texas, I used google to find the authority on the matter so please check out the link below if you doubt the accuracy of my information.

This is so far sideways. Nobody discussing even cares since this affects none of us.

In terms of your comment… I’m simply pointing out he’s using California rules to project assumptions on Texas. Bad idea. But yes, there may be similarities. However go back to the part I took exception with if you want to have that discussion. There have been multiple inaccuracies stated… and even in your statement it’s not exactly correct. Texas vehicle sales tax and use tax are two different things. If you buy a vehicle outside of Texas and bring it back to register it you pay sales tax based on your home address. State gets their sales tax, county gets theirs and city gets theirs (at whatever their rates are). All of this is irregardless of where you buy… in state out of state. Doesn’t matter. This keeps people from skipping over a county or another state and avoiding tax on a large vehicle purchase. Which is why the comment about dealerships increasing local sales tax revenue is wrong. And why I felt compelled to comment.

Again though. Worthless from this thread. PM me if you want to discuss more. Start a new off topic thread if you really want to discuss. But unless it deals with a MY coming out of the factory I’m out of this conversation.

Oh but it does.
Registration fees go to the STATE.
Sales tax goes to the COMMUNITY where it is SOLD.
In California, the sales tax is based on the registration address. I can go to LA and buy and car and register it to my OC address and pay 7.75% sales tax. If I register to an LA address the sales tax could be 10.25%. Assuming an in-state purchase for vehicles, it doesn't matter where it's sold, but rather your registered address.

Reactions: csrpenfab
As the thread starter, it does appear we have gotten off topic. Perhaps that is what happens when we are all sitting on the edge of our seat waiting for the word that MY production has finally started in Austin. Once that news comes down, within the next few days, then the big question will be what MY configuration is rolling out of Austin (i.e., battery pack version, AMD Ryzen, Lit. Ion 15v battery, dual pane rear windows, cargo cover, etc.). Finally, is an updated version of the MY also coming out of Fremont that matches the Austin configuration. We should have answers to these questions this month. Since Tesla is well known for introducing enhancements as they become ready, I assume there will be additional features/upgrades coming throughout the 2022 MY production at both Austin and Fremont.

As the thread starter, it does appear we have gotten off topic. Perhaps that is what happens when we are all sitting on the edge of our seat waiting for the word that MY production has finally started in Austin. Once that news comes down, within the next few days, then the big question will be what MY configuration is rolling out of Austin (i.e., battery pack version, AMD Ryzen, Lit. Ion 15v battery, dual pane rear windows, cargo cover, etc.). Finally, is an updated version of the MY also coming out of Fremont that matches the Austin configuration. We should have answers to these questions this month. Since Tesla is well known for introducing enhancements as they become ready, I assume there will be additional features/upgrades coming throughout the 2022 MY production at both Austin and Fremont.

Agreed. The signal to noise ratio in this thread has become abysmal.

Facts related to TX production please. Take the tax talk elsewhere.

IMHO, Tesla will do what it has always done for sales in Texas: process the transaction in California. This might kick off a legal battle but I doubt it will stop Tesla from selling.
Yes, but those cars originate in CA so they enter TX from outside. They can process the transactions all they want in CA (or any other state allowing direct sales), the cars still need to physically be in that state for the transaction to happen then enter TX from that state before they can be registered. The customer has to pay for and take ownership of the car when the car is physically in another state. As the laws are currently written.

Hopefully, this post is allowed:
At the EOQ when Freemont is only sending cars down the street, and Austin is up and running where will Austin send their cars? Will Tesla consumers in Texas still get Fremont cars or will Tesla leave some small part to be completed out of state, ship the almost completed car and finish it there, so that they can legally sell them back to Texans?

No, it doesn't really matter to me, as I live in the other T state, but waiting almost 5 months for a car you get to ponder things you otherwise wouldn't care about...