Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should still be free. Lowering it to $200 does not promise the price won’t go back up to $400 and eventually to $500 in order to force people get wall charger. I installed Nema 14-50 myself and don’t want to spend money for electrician and wall connector.

The last statement from Elon is a warning, hey guys you already know how we play here… to get your cars early pay for FSD.. since there is less adoption. So, get the wall connector now cause the mobile connector will get to $400 and eventually to $500… you know why chip/supply chain shortage. And then wall connector will be $600-$800 and you guessed it right… more demand so jack up the price. Yes, you guys are getting smart, again you guessed it right.. this way we’ll recoup way more than the discount we gave you on mobile connector.

Last edited:
Reactions: Investor9872
Reading posts here I feel like I'm the only person who was just planning on sticking a 14-50 outlet in my garage and using this to charge....every day, not once in a while. Is this really that rare?
Not rare at all, quite a number here who have posted or doing the same thing. Me included. I have my outlet installed, purchased the adapter, and purchased cable organizers for it. Now it looks like they’re going to force me to buy the mobile connector too

The wall charger is really nice guys. Support the company and go get a wall connector. And if you’re on a road trip and need a mobile connector you’ve got deeper issues. There’s literally a supercharger station everywhere in most part of the country. Elon is correct on this.
It is not that I oppose wall connector. If I know this is coming, I would choose to install wall connector as well. When I ordered my MYLR last year with local Tesla store, even the sales recommend 220V outlet with nema 14-50 adapter is good enough. Therefore, I have electrician installed 200 v outlet with 50 amp breaker installed in the panel, and bought the 14-50 adapter. Now I am not going to pay the electrician again, to reinstall the wall connector, and 60 amp breaker.

Elon's reasoning is deeply flawed if it leads to stranded EVs.

I was thinking the same thing. Usage statistics “super low”? Is this the same logic that caused Tesla (and other manufacturers) to not include a spare tire? Three days ago, I used the spare tire included with my Prius for the first time and was thankful it was there.

The other problem with Elon’s statement is that it is obviously a lie. Many, like myself use their UMC for daily charging. Maybe not most, but I would guess a sizeable percentage that exceeds “super low”. If he were concerned about the waste, he would include it but offer his customers of upgrading to the WC instead for a few hundred more.

Reactions: Investor9872
It is not that I oppose wall connector. If I know this is coming, I would choose to install wall connector as well. When I ordered my MYLR last year with local Tesla store, even the sales recommend 220V outlet with nema 14-50 adapter is good enough. Therefore, I have electrician installed 200 v outlet with 50 amp breaker installed in the panel, and bought the 14-50 adapter. Now I am not going to pay the electrician again, to reinstall the wall connector, and 60 amp breaker.
You can continue to use the 50 amp breaker with the Wall Connector. You might still want to swap it out if your breaker has GFCI. And since your already wired for 14-50, swapping for a Wall Connector should be an easy job, possibly DIY if you’re up for it.

Apologies, rereading your post, I realize you’re probably just irritated with the post-order switcheroo on inclusion of the UMC, and not looking for a solution. Hopefully it still comes with your order. I haven’t seen any official statements that they are changing existing orders. The UMC on a 220v outlet is a great option for home users, plus those who travel to other properties without a wall connector. Cheap move by Tesla!

And some will figure out they need to inflate their range a little like Tesla’s approach to epa.
The gorilla still hanging out there will be charging. The supercharger network simply works…it works reliably, is quick, is pretty much where you need it to be.
Rest of charger setups just long way away from competing.
Say what?

OBJECTS IN MIRROR MAY BE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR!

Just wait until they open to ALL!

Electrify America is coming along and will catch up, especially if they get the government money.

I use the 350 one at the local Sam's to charge the IONIQ 5 and go from 10% to 80% in 18 min. for FREE for two years. And it's lonely there.
I charge my 2014 Tesla at home or free charge it at the nearby supercharger.

Those stubborn oil boys seem to be out to punish Tesla and if that continues they could quite really lose their advantage. Oil Boys refuse to die.

Tesla’s Texas Charger Grant Applications Fail; It’s Bad For Texas But Reveals Tesla’s Super-Low Costs

You can continue to use the 50 amp breaker with the Wall Connector. You might still want to swap it out if your breaker has GFCI. And since your already wired for 14-50, swapping for a Wall Connector should be an easy job, possibly DIY if you’re up for it.

Apologies, rereading your post, I realize you’re probably just irritated with the post-order switcheroo on inclusion of the UMC, and not looking for a solution. Hopefully it still comes with your order. I haven’t seen any official statements that they are changing existing orders. The UMC on a 220v outlet is a great option for home users, plus those who travel to other properties without a wall connector. Cheap move by Tesla!
Thanks and appreciated for your advice.

But for regular home owners who are doing daily commute from home to work, average driving 50-60km per day, what is the big advantage of installing wall connector vs 220v outlet with nema14-50 charging? I disagree with Elon recent tweet by recommending “ installing Tesla wall connector well before car arrives”? I think charging with 220v outlet is just fine.

Thanks and appreciated for your advice.

But for regular home owners who are doing daily commute from home to work, average driving 50-60km per day, what is the big advantage of installing wall connector vs 220v outlet with nema14-50 charging? I disagree with Elon recent tweet by recommending “ installing Tesla wall connector well before car arrives”? I think charging with 220v outlet is just fine.
I personally saw no advantage to the Wall Connector, which is why I had a 14-50 outlet installed instead. In fact, I think an outlet is more advantageous since it can support non-Tesla chargers. I also had a Ford Mach-E on order when I ordered my Tesla, so the outlet I had would have supported either car.

Wait does that apply to existing orders??
BS if so, now I need to go buy something that isn’t in stock on Tesla’s website for $400 that was included when I ordered??
You got that right. Bean counters win.
I am happy that have a spare charging chord.

Look how far we have come. My 2014 Model S has a complete charging cable with ALL adaptors, free supercharger for life, Tesla electric tire pump, flat repair kit, opens the garage door for free, has Premium map and sound package for free, makes lane changes on autopilot (without a $15,000 upgrade), had OEM tires with full tread, and is still worth half of its original value.

Beware: Next year, you pay extra for tires?
BYOT

Great for the stock, which Woods predicts will be $4600 a share by 2026. Financed by the consumer!

We've come a long way baby!

Attachments

• 1078 (1).jpeg
    1078 (1).jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 73
I was thinking the same thing. Usage statistics “super low”? Is this the same logic that caused Tesla (and other manufacturers) to not include a spare tire? Three days ago, I used the spare tire included with my Prius for the first time and was thankful it was there.

The other problem with Elon’s statement is that it is obviously a lie. Many, like myself use their UMC for daily charging. Maybe not most, but I would guess a sizeable percentage that exceeds “super low”. If he were concerned about the waste, he would include it but offer his customers of upgrading to the WC instead for a few hundred more.

Tesla reduced the price of the TMC to $200, so people can buy two for $400: one for the wall and another for the car. It works out cheaper than buying a TWC or generic and getting one TMC free from Tesla.

Personally, I am not a fan of using the TMC for daily charging but for those that do not care, the new Tesla deal is a pretty good one. And if it encourages people to carry a TMC in the car, even better. The 'losers' are those that want more than 32 Amps or those who make do with one TMC, or those like me who already have a wall EVSE and may take receipt of a new Tesla EV without a TMC.

Whatever. I'm much more interested in getting an updated 4680 Model Y

Reactions: Gt1948
I disagree with Elon recent tweet by recommending “ installing Tesla wall connector well before car arrives”? I think charging with 220v outlet is just fine.

Elon was not pushing the TWC so much as pushing the idea that your charging setup is best arranged before the car arrives.

As for TWC vs TMC vs generic EVSE, there are pros and cons to each choice, and lots of discussion in the forum by those who think it important to recommend their personal choice.

• Tesla WC Vs MC
    Here is a summary of the advantages/disadvantages a wall connector would give you:
    • Cost: About $500 + installation
    • Up to 16 Amps faster charging for models that support 48 Amps (about 7.5 - 15 miles range per hour)
    • The mobile EVSE can be left in the car
    • The wall connector is a bigger box with better heat dissipation. It will last longer in a frequent use case
    • The wall connector has wi-fi that may be integrated into the Tesla app in the future. This is not much of an advantage given the excellent comm between the car and Tesla App already

Reading posts here I feel like I'm the only person who was just planning on sticking a 14-50 outlet in my garage and using this to charge....every day, not once in a while. Is this really that rare?
I already bought/received my 6-50 adapter to plug into my garage. I think it’s so common, that an electrician (familiar with Tesla installations) actually recommended this option to save money. Now, I just need the car…with a mobile connector included…;-}

Reading posts here I feel like I'm the only person who was just planning on sticking a 14-50 outlet in my garage and using this to charge....every day, not once in a while.

That is not my choice, but you can certainly take that approach. The trade-offs involved:

1. Limited to 32 Amps
  2. You either do not have an EVSE in the car, or you have to disassemble/disconnect your home setup for trips if you want the option of on the road receptacle charging.
  3. You are using an EVSE daily that was engineered for occasional use.
My choices were dictated by my personal priorities, in order:
  1. Safety. Infrequent plugging/unplugging, and best thermal control
  2. No stranded EV events. For me this means that I keep an EVSE in the car
  3. Convenience
  4. 40 Amp charging

Last edited:
Reactions: house9 and DrGriz
That is not my choice, but you can certainly take that approach. The trade-offs involved:

1. Limited to 32 Amps
  2. You either do not have an EVSE in the car, or you have to disassemble/disconnect your home setup for trips if you want the option of on the road receptacle charging.
  3. You are using an EVSE daily that was engineered for occasional use.
It also means two extra connections, receptacle and adapter. Potential weak links/failure points. Maybe not a big deal, but a consideration when used frequently.

Elon was not pushing the TWC so much as pushing the idea that your charging setup is best arranged before the car arrives.

As for TWC vs TMC vs generic EVSE, there are pros and cons to each choice, and lots of discussion in the forum by those who think it important to recommend their personal choice.

• Tesla WC Vs MC
    Here is a summary of the advantages/disadvantages a wall connector would give you:
    • Cost: About $500 + installation
    • Up to 16 Amps faster charging for models that support 48 Amps (about 7.5 - 15 miles range per hour)
    • The mobile EVSE can be left in the car
    • The wall connector is a bigger box with better heat dissipation. It will last longer in a frequent use case
    • The wall connector has wi-fi that may be integrated into the Tesla app in the future. This is not much of an advantage given the excellent comm between the car and Tesla App already
I made my setup well before the car arrived. But living in a 100 year old house in a semi-urban East Bay neighborhood where most of us can’t access old garages due to being filled with stuff and/or, in my case, up a steep incline, I ran a 50 ft cable from my 30 amp dryer plug under the basement to the front of the house and able to uncoil down the driveway. Mobile charger from there across the sidewalk (with a safety cord cover) to car. That is my weekly charging solution at home, with additional charging available at work. The only other option for me would be no electric at this point.

I’m not in a position to move yet, but when I do, will definitely have a garage, tons of solar, battery wall, etc. Right now, I have all the adapters and carry a 25 ft 110 extension cord and a 25 ft NEMA 14-50 cord with adapters for the other 2 220v variants. I’m all in with TMC!

Question: how reliable have the mobile chargers been? For $200 does it make sense to buy an additional as a backup?

It also means two extra connections, receptacle and adapter. Potential weak links/failure points. Maybe not a big deal, but a consideration when used frequently.
This is definitely an advantage of the WC. There are a few documented cases of failed outlets on this forum, which is a fire risk. Fortunately, the UMC has a temperature sensor in the plug and should cut power if it starts to overheat.

Reactions: DrGriz
I thought to use Mobile connector instead of Wall connector when I ordered my car. I had 30amp 220v plug in my garage. However, when I got my car I didn't want to leave home without mobile connector, so I ended up unplugging it every time and carefully wrapping mobile connector's cord trying not to scratch plastic plugs on both ends.. This was not convenient.
I've decided to buy wall connector just to make it easier. I didn't change wiring, 220v 30 amp is more than enough for me, just configured Wall connector to 30amp.
Personally, I want to have Mobile connector in my car at all times irrelevant how often I may end up using it. It gives me peace of mind and more options to charge when I visit friends.