Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Was just reading this. Seems it will auto adjust based on power input. Let’s hope I don’t need to get.
Technically you could use a pigtail and leave the 14-50 as-is. The install guide recommends directly wiring it, but if code like my area requires a disconnect close/in reach (or whatever the exact words are), it still works. When you initialize the wall charger, you'd lower the amps to 40 instead of 48.

Okay… explain to me what is different about the physics of the mobile connector. You realize the AC/DC Converter is in the vehicle, right? The mobile connector is fairly simple, other than the part that communicates with the car (which is likely identical to what’s in the wall charger).
How would I know? I am just posting what is in the Tesla store and that wrong one was being mentioned

Hi, To sum up , is the consensus view that the next delivery phase of model Y LR and MYP going to be 2170 cells in structured pack from Fremont. If so how do we see the weight going up or down a bit?

There is a leaked document showing upcoming tesla production start estimates and you can see that the Model Y has a refresh expected in 2027

This is likely when it will get 4680's (beyond the SR) so if anyone is holding out for 4680's on a MY the SR is going to be your only option for a while

1650226504444.png

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
Any guesses when the AWD will be available to the public? By June at the latest? LR reservation holders will get an email inviting them to downgrade?

With all that GT square footage they should be able to start one AWD line (trickle) simultaneous with the SR+ start up (trickle) even with 4680 battery ramp up. I imagine the cathode plant's status ties into higher MY build numbers as well as when/if CT comes online in the near term. But things are sure moving slow in the US MY ramp up world so maybe closer to the end of year?

Hi, To sum up , is the consensus view that the next delivery phase of model Y LR and MYP going to be 2170 cells in structured pack from Fremont. If so how do we see the weight going up or down a bit?

I think we agree that LR cars are likely to be 2170 in the near term, with 4680's going into Texas-only standard range Y's

I don't think anyone has data of a 2170 structural pack. Keeping the existing 2170 pack seems vastly simpler since it already exists. Fremont could adopt both front and rear mega-castings without needing a structural pack (rear casting is already in use).

Reactions: advocate8
And what will they do with MYP?

Feels (as in guess) like MYAWD goes to public availability in a few months give or take how much of Texas output Tesla reserves for fleet buyers.

MYLR and MYP seem to remain in mostly-current form and at Fremont factory in the near term, with both factories supporting a future 4680 MYLR/MYP on a larger-cell-count variant of the MYAWD 4680 pack... but that might be next year or more - especially as other things like Cyber truck, Semi, etc all want 4680 cells.

There is a leaked document showing upcoming tesla production start estimates and you can see that the Model Y has a refresh expected in 2027

This is likely when it will get 4680's (beyond the SR) so if anyone is holding out for 4680's on a MY the SR is going to be your only option for a while
The chance that document is an official Tesla timeline is close to zero. Even if it were, Tesla's plans change so much year-to-year that the document will be completely out of date in a few months.

Also, there is no need to wait for a refresh to convert the MY lineup to 4680. Going from a SR to an LR or P is merely a matter of putting more batteries in the pack, different brakes (P), etc. Don't even need a different line, all versions can be produced once battery supply is sufficient.

I think the primary beneficiary of the 4680/casting design is Tesla primarily due to cost and simplicity. They are probably very motivated to switch to a common architecture for the Y ASAP.

I think we agree that LR cars are likely to be 2170 in the near term, with 4680's going into Texas-only standard range Y's

I don't think anyone has data of a 2170 structural pack. Keeping the existing 2170 pack seems vastly simpler since it already exists. Fremont could adopt both front and rear mega-castings without needing a structural pack (rear casting is already in use).
GigaBerlin is already producing MYs using both front and rear chassis mega-castings and using a 2170 based battery pack. It's my understanding this battery pack is a direct mechanical alternative to the 4680 structural pack but will weigh more since the batteries themselves do not add much, if any, to the structure and this alternative battery pack's case must provide the "structural" strength when used with the front and rear mega-castings. I would not be surprised is Fremont MY-LR and P production goes this same route soon.

Reactions: djgarrett21
Any guesses when the AWD will be available to the public? By June at the latest? LR reservation holders will get an email inviting them to downgrade?
I suspect the real issue with Tesla offering LR reservation holders the option to "downgrade" is the price for the new standard AWD model is more than what the LR sold for up unitil very recently. In my case my LR order is for $6K less than the initial price for the AWD. So would either Tesla be willing to offer LR order holders the option to purchase a AWD for well under the normal $60K asking price - OR - would LR order holders be willing to pay a premium price to buy the downgraded AWD model.

Last edited: