Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya. It doesn't really make sense...to us anyway. Especially since their pattern is to produce the more expensive version first and LRs have a long wait time on the configurator (Aug) compared to the YP which is April. But Tesla beats to it's own drummer.
Yeah that is their pattern and if you put a gun to my head I would say that probably is where it is headed. But....Tesla seems to use algorithms for a lot of things. Their modeling could -- totally in theory mind you -- tell them that since the MYP wait is much shorter and is scaring off fewer buyers they can make more money by reducing the lengthy wait for MYLR. That’s a reasonable possibility. Is it likely? Who knows. I do know that if I were considering ordering MYLR now, I would say oh, August, and make other plans....There isn’t anything as good out there, but not having a car doesn’t work either. And plenty of buyers are less wedded to Telsa than I am, as a previous owner.
Of course the wait on the order page doesn’t closely correspond to what we all see either...

But not the front?? Well, that's "half-cast" for sure. $70k for a "half-cast" car? I'll wait until they finish baking the cake. JMHO
I don’t think the castings are major matters re: handling and stiffness or even much weight difference. They are mainly about the speed, ease and cost of manufacturing. If you can do away with 70 or 100 parts and the operations to bolt or bond or weld them together it is a HUGE gain for production and profitability. I mean, it is such an advance it is one of those that seems obvious in retrospect... but took genius to conceive and tackle.
It has minor weight benefits but I dunno... seems like someone said 20 lbs for the rear? I mean, you save a small amount of material and some bolts.

Reactions: John in LB
Thsts what I mean. It’s all spec here. How is it not one leak? Are Tesla factory workers as tight as the CIA?

So what if it’s just the same as F builds for the first 6 months ? Still willing to hold an order?

I’d like all of you to be correct and 4680 underway :)

Incorrect. Elon himself on the quarterly call stated that Austin will start with 4680 cells from the get go. No 2170-based cars from that facility.

THIS is why everyone wants one.

Yeah that is their pattern and if you put a gun to my head I would say that probably is where it is headed. But....Tesla seems to use algorithms for a lot of things. Their modeling could -- totally in theory mind you -- tell them that since the MYP wait is much shorter and is scaring off fewer buyers they can make more money by reducing the lengthy wait for MYLR. That’s a reasonable possibility. Is it likely? Who knows. I do know that if I were considering ordering MYLR now, I would say oh, August, and make other plans....There isn’t anything as good out there, but not having a car doesn’t work either. And plenty of buyers are less wedded to Telsa than I am, as a previous owner.
Of course the wait on the order page doesn’t closely correspond to what we all see either...
That's for sure. Someone here ordered in late Jan and already has an MYLR, and I know someone got the MYP Blue/White (F) that I declined a couple of weeks ago.

Someone (with more time than I have) really needs to make a Tesla version of the COVID Horse Race.
And they're off, we have Musk out front, with the SEC close on his tail, with a half-cast horse pulling up the rear, AMD Razor is passing INTEL, and the Model X is pulling up the rear, Yoke is wavering from side to side, while, PLAID just blew by everyone, Berlin is running out of water, while Drone is hovering over GIGA-Texas, bloggers are making their move, Old PAINT is nowhere to be found (except maybe in Fremont), The Rockies are diving the pack, Configurator is making some changes, All-Season hooves are gaining, Laminate remains quiet, etc. Add on if you wish!! And WTFKnows?, the winner by a nose.

Thsts what I mean. It’s all spec here. How is it not one leak? Are Tesla factory workers as tight as the CIA?

So what if it’s just the same as F builds for the first 6 months ? Still willing to hold an order?

I’d like all of you to be correct and 4680 underway :)
If it was the same build, we wouldnt need to wait for EPA certification

That’s the thing, it is surely not a huge stretch to run MYP though the same production line as MYLR. There’s no reason they can’t deliver MYPs despite the raft of what seems to be only MYLR. I would think setting up to do a batch of white ones would be fractionally harder. But... Sawyer seems pretty sure the white MYP VIN is legit. For now there’s not much to do but speculate and wait for the next movement of cars on the apron, hard facts on the EPA approval, and cars to be delivered to owners prior to the April party, since that white one is unlikely to actually be the first, just “one of.”

The MYLR and MYP are the same car just a slightly lowered suspention, some accessories and a software unlock. So they can run a group of MYLR and then a group of MYP if they want to.

What gets produced I think depends upon how many cars they think they can produce ( 4680 limit) and the actual performance of the cars coming from the factory.

As an example they could just produce MYP but because there really isn't a long wait for MYP's. It is much more prone to order holds or cancellations then the MYLR because there is less of a chance for a pricing hit in the event of a reconfiguration. As en example.
1) If the performance is better then the 2170 performance ( even of the posted specs are the same) tesla may have MYP orders cancelled in fremont until they switch over.
2) If they don't have enough 4680's for all MYP orders on the east coast you end up with orders getting cancelled out of austin until the 4680's are available to everyone who whats them.

The same Problems do still exist on the MYLR side but most people on the LR side have been waiting for 6 months and have a price differential they likely arent willing to loose so regardless of where the cars come from Tesla is less likely to see cancellations.

So we should know in a couple weeks.

If the specs and user tests appear identical after the first deliveries then I don't think 99% of the people will care where their car comes from.

Last edited:
That's for sure. Someone here ordered in late Jan and already has an MYLR, and I know someone got the MYP Blue/White (F) that I declined a couple of weeks ago.

Someone (with more time than I have) really needs to make a Tesla version of the COVID Horse Race.
And they're off, we have Musk out front, with the SEC close on his tail, with a half-cast horse pulling up the rear, AMD Razor is passing INTEL, and the Model X is pulling up the rear, Yoke is wavering from side to side, while, PLAID just blew by everyone, Berlin is running out of water, while Drone is hovering over GIGA-Texas, bloggers are making their move, Old PAINT is nowhere to be found (except maybe in Fremont), The Rockies are diving the pack, Configurator is making some changes, All-Season hooves are gaining, Laminate remains quiet, etc. Add on if you wish!! And WTFKnows?, the winner by a nose.
OMG you invoked the Yoke! on a Y thread! The horror... I swear on the soul of my departed M3P if they put on yoke on the Y I would immediately cancel and go put down an order on a Hyundai or PHEV or something. Total deal breaker

Reactions: KJD and Soap
OMG you invoked the Yoke! on a Y thread! The horror... I swear on the soul of my departed M3P if they put on yoke on the Y I would immediately cancel and go put down an order on a Hyundai or PHEV or something. Total deal breaker
Hang on. I actually saw a model Y with a yoke on it in a video. Don't ask me where, but I actually did see it last week.

• Funny
Reactions: advocate8
Im going to add a note on something I haven’t seen discussed: On any of the MY seen in the factory shots where you can tell, every interior has been black. No white interiors. No doubt that is also something that wouldn’t take any serious change on the lines, but still worth noting.

The white Denver MYP with reported Austin VIN though, has white interior, so that pivot to MYP and white paint will also include a pivot to different interior color than what we’re seeing. And supposedly done and delivered within the next 30 days or so.

Last edited:
Im going to add a note on something I haven’t seen discussed: On any of the MY seen in the factory shots where you can tell, every interior has been black. No white interiors. No doubt that is also something that wouldn’t take any serious change on the lines, but still worth noting.
Good point. Makes me think if Tesla is pushing out those base models from GF while training the workers on streamlining the assembly lines for speed and efficiency. If McDonalds was training new workers to make burgers, on day one they would be assembling a hamburger, then they would move on to a cheeseburger and eventually to a big mac, custom order training would be done only after the workers manage to put together a burger with cheese on top of the patty instead of the bottom.

Reactions: advocate8
Good point. Makes me think if Tesla is pushing out those base models from GF while training the workers on streamlining the assembly lines for speed and efficiency. If McDonalds was training new workers to make burgers, on day one they would be assembling a hamburger, then they would move on to a cheeseburger and eventually to a big mac, custom order training would be done only after the workers manage to put together a burger with cheese on top of the patty instead of the bottom.
That analogy makes total sense.

The MYLR and MYP are the same car just a slightly lowered suspention, some accessories and a software unlock. So they can run a group of MYLR and then a group of MYP if they want to.
Wait the LR and P have identical motors? I thought the rear motors in MYP are the P and stronger. One cannot make an LR into a P with just software. Used to be able to back in 2020 when the LR came with a 980 motor but now they are 990…less power but optimized for higher range.

Like the post above yours, we have not seen anything other than Gemini wheels outside of the factory (140+ cars) so still doubting this information. Doesn't take much to make a VIN pass the vin check. For instance:

7SAYGDEF6NA000242 Texas MYP
7SAYGDEE7NA000242 Texas LR MY
5YJYGDEE0NA000242 Texas LR MY

All 3 pass the NHTSA VIN Check even though the last 6 digits are the same for each. All it does is calculate and verify the check digit, it doesn't verify anything else. That would be up to Tesla to verify. As far as sources within Tesla verifying these, I wonder if the database they check is for cars actually produced or is a VIN database of what they can assign. Just because it is in the second database, doesn't mean a car has been built with that VIN.
That VIN is a fake. I wish I would have taken a screenshot but the poster of that VIN had a couple of other posts in the FB group. One mentioning that he has taken delivery of a MY and another where he commented on a discussion about 4680 batteries coming out of Giga Texas. He deleted these posts.

Wait the LR and P have identical motors? I thought the rear motors in MYP are the P and stronger. One cannot make an LR into a P with just software. Used to be able to back in 2020 when the LR came with a 980 motor but now they are 990…less power but optimized for higher range.
The fronts were the same. The rears were different part numbers but I am not sure if anyone has done a teardown of the Y & P rears

That VIN is a fake. I wish I would have taken a screenshot but the poster of that VIN had a couple of other posts in the FB group. One mentioning that he has taken delivery of a MY and another where he commented on a discussion about 4680 batteries coming out of Giga Texas. He deleted these posts.
The white Denver one that is being treated as legit still by various YouTube and Twitter pundits?

Last edited:
Incorrect. Elon himself on the quarterly call stated that Austin will start with 4680 cells from the get go. No 2170-based cars from that facility.

THIS is why everyone wants one.
He also said FSD was going to be ready years ago. He says a lot of things. They could easily make the MYP with 4680s and MYLR with 2170s until end of year. Who knows

Hang on. I actually saw a model Y with a yoke on it in a video. Don't ask me where, but I actually did see it last week.
Yep, you can add them aftermarket. There are sites that sells Yokes for the MY\M3 and youtubes that show you how to install them.

Does that mean @advocate8 has to cancel his order now?