Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MY production should begin very soon at gigatexas but everything from Tesla in the past few months, including from Elon, has said CT production will begin in late 2022.
yeah, I kinda snorted at the part where it said the cybertruck would be arriving shortly. uh, is that regular human “shortly” or Elon “shortly”?
So basically it says the Y production prob will start about when a bunch of other people have already said it would start.

Reactions: tangible1
Predictions that MY production would start this past week at gigatexas appear to have been wrong. However, it's possible they produced a small number of MYs that have not yet be brough out for delivery. In any case, my bet is there will be signs (from the drones) of production vehicles coming from the factory by the middle of this coming week.

Predictions that MY production would start this past week at gigatexas appear to have been wrong. However, it's possible they produced a small number of MYs that have not yet be brough out for delivery. In any case, my bet is there will be signs (from the drones) of production vehicles coming from the factory by the middle of this coming week.

Vehicles have definitely been produced. Several credible reports of completed vehicles being driven inside the building. There's no reason to bring them out when there's room for probably hundreds inside.

Reactions: BGOwner
If giga austin can produce, Model Ys and 3s with 4680 batteries in the coming deliveries that would be great, I am due but my date got pushed back, to march for a performance, I dont mind the wait specially since they are talking about 2 great things, one being the 4680 battery and the other one is the ventilated seats. That would help us here in the summer heat.
I feel the same. If it means a possible Texas order I don't mind waiting a month for the manufacturing improvements that will come from cars being made here. I don't necessarily think they will have the 4680 battery ramp up and going, but if I can at least get the AMD chip, dual pane windows, new 12V battery it would be a win. The giga press Y casts will no doubt help make the car even more solid. At this rate, I don't quite mind waiting. Only losing trade in value potential of my current vehicle , but in the scheme of things not a huge deal.

Looks like many orders got pushed back including mine to possibly be made in Texas, which I would not mind, I believe the only good thing coming from the initial cars is the upgraded paint booths in Austin, I believe if my order comes from texas I will be the guinea pig, but hoping they have everything honed out, since they have learned alot from Fremont.

Reactions: backlash224
Looks like many orders got pushed back including mine to possibly be made in Texas, which I would not mind, I believe the only good thing coming from the initial cars is the upgraded paint booths in Austin, I believe if my order comes from texas I will be the guinea pig, but hoping they have everything honed out, since they have learned alot from Fremont.
Berlin just got permissin to make another 2000 test vehicles because of all production issues. I am sure Austing is going to have the same growing pains

Vehicles have definitely been produced. Several credible reports of completed vehicles being driven inside the building. There's no reason to bring them out when there's room for probably hundreds inside.
I saw those reports from a week+ ago, but we cannot be certain those are vehicles that will be delivered to customers vs. just used for QC and testing. In any case the first MY deliveries should start soon, but in small numbers at first.

Berlin just got permissin to make another 2000 test vehicles because of all production issues. I am sure Austing is going to have the same growing pains
Because of production issues? Where did you hear that? They got permission to make more “test vehicles” because Berlin is dragging their feet approving all their permits, not because of “production issues.”

Because of production issues? Where did you hear that? They got permission to make more “test vehicles” because Berlin is dragging their feet approving all their permits, not because of “production issues.”
Agreed. Why would they need anyone’s permission to make test vehicles? I can see it now, “Hey Berlin, we want to make some more test vehicles to show you our improvements.”

Berlin responds, “No, you do not have our permission. We don’t want to see your additional test vehicles!”

To improve quality

As far as I'm concerned, this blog is deliberate misinformation. Not because they're lying, but because Tesla is using them.
I'm more inclined to believe that Elon is playing politics by 'leaking' an excuse for Tesla's parts production, as cover with German Regulators and Protestors.

You have to remember that Tesla is extremely close to the vest with info. NOTHING gets out that Tesla doesn't WANT out.
And this blog is pretty much proven to be mostly desperation parrot clickbait.

Regulators want the factory to get into production - they get taxes in the till for every car produced. Plus payroll taxes from employees.
Protestors for various reasons want to hold Tesla hostage - they want a payday at minimum, and a perpetual subsidy if possible.

By leaking a semi-plausible explanation, Tesla keeps both camps off balance while Tesla looks for a solution.

This problem is not going away soon. Tesla is gonna have to break the impass quickly or face payola costs forever.

Just because there are more eyes on them doesn't mean they won't ahve issues. You don't think there were a lot of eyes on the first M3s to come out of Fremont? The first MYs? With the long wait for Austin, they will likely ramp up faster than they would prefer and will have issues with fit and finish just like Fremont. And if they do take their time, you will all complain about not having your delivery sped up since Austin should be producing just as many cars as Fremont (according to you). You aren't going to get both quicker delivery due to Austin coming online at speed and increased quality. They are having problems in Berlin (with exacting Germans building them) and they are only allowed to produce 500 per week (the initial run was even less per week). That's 25,000 per year, not even 250,000 per year much less 250,000 per quarter.

The
Just because there are more eyes on them doesn't mean they won't ahve issues. You don't think there were a lot of eyes on the first M3s to come out of Fremont? The first MYs? With the long wait for Austin, they will likely ramp up faster than they would prefer and will have issues with fit and finish just like Fremont. And if they do take their time, you will all complain about not having your delivery sped up since Austin should be producing just as many cars as Fremont (according to you). You aren't going to get both quicker delivery due to Austin coming online at speed and increased quality. They are having problems in Berlin (with exacting Germans building them) and they are only allowed to produce 500 per week (the initial run was even less per week). That's 25,000 per year, not even 250,000 per year much less 250,000 per quarter.
The German situation is a hostage play by the Greens and politicians tied to Auto Worker Unions, who enjoy BoD seats along with Management.
Until Tesla rolls over for a ransom or under the table payola, it's going to continue a while longer.

The 500 units a week they've been given temporary permission to build represent the cars able to be built from the 2000 'Test' articles permission was granted for last week. It's just spread over 4 weeks. Then it ends. It's a salve to Elon to divert attention from where it belongs.

This blog is a haven for many wishful beliefs and magical thinking, done in part with the belief that whining on a blog is going to result in their fantasies being fulfilled.
But the Tooth Fairy doesn't really exist....

Possibly but Fremont was Tesla's first factory, Austin will be their 3rd/4th factory.