Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m feeling better about this angle. I never like to believe people are lying or trying to stir things up. This logically makes sense.

The SAs at these couple of delivery centers look and see they are getting demos from Texas. All other cars are from California. They logically assume that means these are Austin built. But in reality it’s nothing more than a byproduct of moving HQ to Texas and these are standard Fremont built Ys that are licensed in Texas. It wouldn’t surprise me to hear / find out they had to ship to Texas to be licensed hence logistics would look like they shipped out of Texas. Plus Tesla is probably motivated to do this because license, tax rate, etc is lower in Texas.

All just assumption for now, but explains the confusion of the SAs.

So, do we really think with cells from Kato and maybe Austin that Austin is ready to mass produce 4680 Ys? Leads more credence to either a slow ramp at Austin (like China) or starting with 2170 cells. Or would these Panasonic 4680 strictly be in China for China and Berlin?

Also, circling back to cost reduction that people keep pointing to as to why Tesla will start with these immediately. The 14% reduction is in battery cost which in itself is 30% cost if the total vehicle. That means the cost reduction relation to the vehicle is 4.2%. If there is a 30% profit margin on the vehicles, that would equate to a reduction of base price by about $3500. Not insignificant but not as Much as many people make it seem.

I’m feeling better about this angle. I never like to believe people are lying or trying to stir things up. This logically makes sense.

The SAs at these couple of delivery centers look and see they are getting demos from Texas. All other cars are from California. They logically assume that means these are Austin built. But in reality it’s nothing more than a byproduct of moving HQ to Texas and these are standard Fremont built Ys that are licensed in Texas. It wouldn’t surprise me to hear / find out they had to ship to Texas to be licensed hence logistics would look like they shipped out of Texas. Plus Tesla is probably motivated to do this because license, tax rate, etc is lower in Texas.

All just assumption for now, but explains the confusion of the SAs.
And why they have had all the new M3s and MYs in the employee lot charging. Received from Fremont, charged overnight, licensed and then shipped out. Anyone who can comment on cost of licensing in Texas vs CA for manufacturers? Might be a cost/tax savings move for Tesla if the cars have to be shipped East anyways.

If I understand correctly I don't think it's any big deal to have both 2170 and 4680 battery packs to put in the new model y cars. Elon seems to have said that the 2170 packs will use the same "structural" format, thus they should be interchangeable. That would mean they could be putting a 2170 pack in one car and a 4680 in the next. Whether or not the user could tell, is yet to be seen.

Reactions: CyberGus
If I understand correctly I don't think it's any big deal to have both 2170 and 4680 battery packs to put in the new model y cars. Elon seems to have said that the 2170 packs will use the same "structural" format, thus they should be interchangeable. That would mean they could be putting a 2170 pack in one car and a 4680 in the next. Whether or not the user could tell, is yet to be seen.
For the same range, there's a weight difference. For the same weight, there is a range difference. Either way, you could tell unless you are completely oblivious. (Nothing wrong with being oblivious.)

Reactions: Suns_PSD and rob968
For the same range, there's a weight difference. For the same weight, there is a range difference. Either way, you could tell unless you are completely oblivious. (Nothing wrong with being oblivious.)
Elon prior comments:
2170-based v2.0 chassis gets a weight reduction of about 200lbs
4680-based v2.0 chassis gets a weight reduction of about 440lbs (10%)

Reactions: advocate8
Elon prior comments:
2170-based v2.0 chassis gets a weight reduction of about 200lbs
4680-based v2.0 chassis gets a weight reduction of about 440lbs (10%)
So the 4680 cells alone reduce the weight by about 240 lbs. The rest of the weight reduction comes from the use of the front + rear maga-castings for the chassis and the use of the structural battery pack. However, as I recall the 440 lbs. number was from battery day in Sept 2020 and was comparing the V1 chassis with 2160 cells (non-structural battery pack) to a V2 chassis with a 4680 structural battery pack. Since Fremont already introduced one of the two mega castings in 2021 the total weight reduction, as compared to the late 2021 and the current 2022 MYs will be something under 400 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: advocate8
So the 4680 cells alone reduce the weight by about 240 lbs. The rest of the weight reduction comes from the use of the front + rear maga-castings for the chassis and the use of the structural battery pack. However, as I recall the 440 lbs. number was from battery day in Sept 2020 and was comparing the V1 chassis with 2160 cells (non-structural battery pack) to a V2 chassis with a 4680 structural battery pack. Since Fremont already introduced one of the two mega castings in 2021 the total weight reduction, as compared to the late 2021 and the current 2022 MYs will be something under 400 lbs.
We're splitting hairs, but either way, it's a significant weight reduction and provides many benefits; fit/finish, handling, and performance among them.
The chassis will also be stiffer, again improving handling responsiveness.
Internet hype has differing speculations about range improvements, so I'll leave that for Elon.

Yes. The 4680 cells are more efficient and will take less cells to achieve the same range or slightly more than 2170 models. The world thinks that Tesla will pack these cars full with 4680 cells and cars will be over 400 mile range. Never happen on "budget" Teslas Model 3 and Y and my guess is that the Model S and X will be the first packed full of 4680 batteries eventually to achieve 400+ mile range to compete with Lucid rumored potential 500 mile range vehicles. Less batteries needed means more cars produced and more profit for Elon since batteries are the costliest item in the car.
Shedding extra weight should be a nice boast in range and new casting will do that.
As has been discussed before, the MS and MX just went thru an engineering 'refresh' in the Spring and stuck with 18650 battery packs. It's unlikely those get a re-do again soon. Further, the SEMI and CT just gobble 4680's and are entirely designed around them. And they're coming right behind the new MY.

Lucid can't deliver any volume for at least another year, giving Tesla time to roll out the CT and feed the 1M order backlog, then come back to address range to counter Lucid.
Tesla's investments in plant, supplies, and logistics is about to come to fruition.

And why they have had all the new M3s and MYs in the employee lot charging. Received from Fremont, charged overnight, licensed and then shipped out. Anyone who can comment on cost of licensing in Texas vs CA for manufacturers? Might be a cost/tax savings move for Tesla if the cars have to be shipped East anyways.
Looking at your signature, you upgrading your MYSR to MYLR?

Not quite oblivious. I've been watching Tesla since 2009, and have a patent on battery charging systems. I have an idea of what's going on. My point is still the same, the vast majority of customers aren't going to know any difference, and aren't going to care.

Not quite oblivious. I've been watching Tesla since 2009, and have a patent on battery charging systems. I have an idea of what's going on. My point is still the same, the vast majority of customers aren't going to know any difference, and aren't going to care.

Generally I agree with you but I would think that many more people are doing much more research before buying an EV.

When thinking about EV's I would think abou my rechargable batteries and how they went bad in a couple years in my phone or other devices . I needed to do that extra research to get past that . So understanding the batteries and the charging and then looking at the history and the warranty I was finally able to get past my hand held battery experience. Then where to charge, how long it takes, how temperture and weight impacts mileage.

I believe most other people have the same questions . I have had no such concerns about buying ICE vehicles in the past . So I think there will be a greater number of people who what to know about capacity, charging and longevity of the batteries, (at least until most people have had one)

As has been discussed before, the MS and MX just went thru an engineering 'refresh' in the Spring and stuck with 18650 battery packs. It's unlikely those get a re-do again soon. Further, the SEMI and CT just gobble 4680's and are entirely designed around them. And they're coming right behind the new MY.

Lucid can't deliver any volume for at least another year, giving Tesla time to roll out the CT and feed the 1M order backlog, then come back to address range to counter Lucid.
Tesla's investments in plant, supplies, and logistics is about to come to fruition.
Do you think Tesla is going to push the CT in front of the Semi, Cyber Truck and Roadster (maybe Roadster). With all of the promises and continued pushes, I can't see them having the CT leap frogging the others. It's just hard for me to see that taking place (you never know with Tesla though).

Generally I agree with you but I would think that many more people are doing much more research before buying an EV.

When thinking about EV's I would think abou my rechargable batteries and how they went bad in a couple years in my phone or other devices . I needed to do that extra research to get past that . So understanding the batteries and the charging and then looking at the history and the warranty I was finally able to get past my hand held battery experience. Then where to charge, how long it takes, how temperture and weight impacts mileage.

I believe most other people have the same questions . I have had no such concerns about buying ICE vehicles in the past . So I think there will be a greater number of people who what to know about capacity, charging and longevity of the batteries, (at least until most people have had one)
If you think the majority of potential EV buyers are as inquisitive and knowledgeable as members of this forum, then I’m pretty sure you are mistaken. The average EV buyer cares about range, what does it look like, and is it not too different from what I’m currently driving. Then maybe they think about charging infrastructure. But what battery technology is or what microprocessor is running the MMI…..probably not.