Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jeff Roberts (drone operator) posted a picture today of MYs fresh off the production line at gigatexas.

Link: https://twitter.com/peterdog15?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

1644886972979.png

Reactions: bruce4000
This zoom in of the underneath is very blurry but can someone confirm it looks different?
Only thing I can confirm is that these are Performance versions. Which is news to me. Everything I've seen that supposedly out of Austin.. has been the LR. Seems the popular theory is that Austin will take over sole production of the MYP for North American-based Y's.

The idea is that the MYP would benefit most from the switch to 4680 cells considering the weight savings will add to its actual performance stats, possibly help increase its EPA range estimation (it's currently the lowest) and of course, ease/calm customer concerns over Tesla essentially selling Model Y's with both the old 2170 & new 4680 packs. Much like how the MYP has been the only version of the Y to receive the newer matrix LED headlights.

Last edited:
Maybe these are for Tesla store showrooms and that is why no one has received an Austin VIN number yet. Regardless, we should be hearing from people who are getting cars these very soon.
I don't think Tesla can assign Austin VIN to customers before they obtain all required permits/certs. Hopefully soon we get news that all paperwork is done and they publish final specs of Austin build MYs.

Last edited:
If they were actual customer cars then someone would already have the vin in hand and someone would be blasting the proof. They could be going to an offsite storage area until certification allows them to sell the cars.

EDIT: They may be doing this every night...Someone should have followed it to see if it was going somewhere close
99 percent of buyers don’t read VINs or hang out here thinking about Austin. Unless Tesla or an SA spills something, it could be days or even a couple weeks of small shipments before it got out.

They cancelled my car, not by my choice, and they kept my order fee.
What is the story behid that ? The only way I have seen this is if you have broken the contract by previously flipping a reciently purchased tesla or not taking delivery after being on hold for a very long time.

EDIT: I looked at some of your older posts, I am not a lawyer so you shoiuld consult one for advice but my understanding is that since there is not any "Official" hold policy , a hold could Technically be seen as a breach of the origional contract where tesla is allowing you purchase at the origonal price beyond your origional contract but they canset any terms they like since the origional contract terms do not exist at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: jleeusn
What is the story behid that ? The only way I have seen this is if you have broken the contract by previously flipping a reciently purchased tesla or not taking delivery after being on hold for a very long time.

EDIT: I looked at some of your older posts, I am not a lawyer so you shoiuld consult one for advice but my understanding is that since there is not any "Official" hold policy , a hold could Technically be seen as a breach of the origional contract where tesla is allowing you purchase at the origonal price beyond your origional contract but they canset any terms they like since the origional contract terms do not exist at that point.
Consult a lawyer? He is a lawyer! The kind you consult when you break one of Newton’s Laws.

Maybe these are for Tesla store showrooms and that is why no one has received an Austin VIN number yet. Regardless, we should be hearing from people who are getting cars these very soon.

It's far more likely that they are going to be used to fill customer orders and are just heading to different delivery centers until final certification is received and then they can immediately be delivered.

There is no cosmetic difference between this and an existing car so there is no reason for them to swap out the display models that I can think of.

Reactions: Zebelkhan
Only thing I can confirm is that these are Performance versions. Which is news to me. Everything I've seen that supposedly out of Austin.. has been the LR. Seems the popular theory is that Austin will take over sole production of the MYP for North American-based Y's.

The idea is that the MYP would benefit most from the switch to 4680 cells considering the weight savings will add to its actual performance stats, possibly help increase its EPA range estimation (it's currently the lowest) and of course, ease/calm customer concerns over Tesla essentially selling Model Y's with both the old 2170 & new 4680 packs. Much like how the MYP has been the only version of the Y to receive the newer matrix LED headlights.
That would actually make a lot of sense as it solves a lot of problems for Tesla with differentiation between two cars of the same trim having different characteristics.
So maybe for calendar year 2022 the Y production shifts completely to Austin for Q2-Q4 until they have more of the new cells and are able to flip things over at Fremont.
Speaking for myself personally, I would pay a premium to get a car made in Austin because the paint shop at Fremont is trash.