Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HUD, I think we've been through over & over again, Elon was pressed on it too... sadly I doubt.
360 view, I agree, but that can be fixed with software, not hardware / improvements rolling out the factory.
Another hardware though, the yoke, makes perfect sense for the Y to have one as there's no display / HUD, so no top wheel view disturbance is a plus especially when they've so hard on the lack of HUD. Also don't think the yoke cost that significantly more. Less leather / stitching required.
HUD is the big one I am very surprised Tesla has not released yet. Looks very techie and is a great feature.

Reactions: FLTessie
HUD is the big one I am very surprised Tesla has not released yet. Looks very techie and is a great feature.
It also would help as a marketing tool with folks who are skeptical about the center-screen-only in M3 and MY. And there are many. I got used to it enough that its not a real issue, but it’s not a plus no matter how he spins it. “Simple!” “Saves Cost!” blah blah blah. It might save a couple hundred bucks at most given the cost of screens these days. If it were a $35,000 car still that could be arguable. Not on a 60-80k car.
And you know if Tesla did a HUD it would be better than everyone else’s, and go a long way as a selling point.

It also would help as a marketing tool with folks who are skeptical about the center-screen-only in M3 and MY. And there are many. I got used to it enough that its not a real issue, but it’s not a plus no matter how he spins it.

But you know if Tesla did a HUD it would be better than everyone else’s and go a long way as a selling point.
Right, even it is the 279 ml AWD range model, it would probably need dual motor. I wonder if they are going to develop a new badge for MYLR to differentiate it from the 279 mi one.
you sound like you may have some ideas for that? something fast for short distances...a tiny little jack rabbit beside the “Dual Motor”?

Reactions: Firocity
It also would help as a marketing tool with folks who are skeptical about the center-screen-only in M3 and MY. And there are many. I got used to it enough that its not a real issue, but it’s not a plus no matter how he spins it. “Simple!” “Saves Cost!” blah blah blah. It might save a couple hundred bucks at most given the cost of screens these days. If it were a $35,000 car still that could be arguable. Not on a 60-80k car.
And you know if Tesla did a HUD it would be better than everyone else’s, and go a long way as a selling point.
Tesla can easially sell a replacement dash which has a HUD and they would have thousands of orders the first day. No one wants to put a thirdparty hud on the car which is constantly fighting tesla updates . The problem is that Tesla won't let you do it yourself and it does not have the infrastructure in place to handle that many service calls so they choose to do nothing.

Tesla can easially sell a replacement dash which has a HUD and they would have thousands of orders the first day. No one wants to put a thirdparty hud on the car which is constantly fighting tesla updates . The problem is that Tesla won't let you do it yourself and it does not have the infrastructure in place to handle that many service calls so they choose to do nothing.
Crimson, you prob said this somewhere, but did your EDD take a big jump when you switched?

I think after charging to only 80%/90%- that's what everyone is realistically getting -260- 297 miles at best driving conditions for LR. Plenty of MYP owners don't care about getting max range. Not invalidating your preference - just offering context on reality of range
Seems everyone calls it something different. Saw Joe's Tweet earlier and also saw this last week. Giga Texas Model Y to include Parcel Shelf and Cargo Hooks

Lets see, we have:
Rear Package Shelf,
Parcel Shelf
Cargo Cover.

What else can we call it? :D
I know right. Tesla is not the only one that’s giving you this option, most of the high end SUV’s in the price range of Model Y has wait for it “cargo cover”. A car this expensive should also have one.

Seems everyone calls it something different. Saw Joe's Tweet earlier and also saw this last week. Giga Texas Model Y to include Parcel Shelf and Cargo Hooks

Lets see, we have:
Rear Package Shelf,
Parcel Shelf
Cargo Cover.

What else can we call it? :D
Also, the four boxes that are on top of the cover, it seems like it’s an employee working on few things. We can also see a laptop (does not mean we get a laptop with every Y lol), but cargo cover seems like a possibility

Center display is a key differentiator from 3 Y to X and S and that’s probably not changing anytime soon.

Center display is a key differentiator from 3 Y to X and S and that’s probably not changing anytime soon.
all true, I wouldn’t expect it to change ever, frankly. but it that’s what they have got for their key differentiators they need to work harder. The Y and 3 are expensive but I def see the gap in what you pay and what you get between a Y and X as a huge joke in terms of value. They just aren’t $60,000 worth of different, especially the MYP. The additional 0-60 between X and MYP is meaningless except bragging to your buddies.

Last edited:
Reactions: z335is and DrGriz
Also, the four boxes that are on top of the cover, it seems like it’s an employee working on few things. We can also see a laptop (does not mean we get a laptop with every Y lol), but cargo cover seems like a possibility
Very true, its possible this is one of the MYs being used as a Company car and the user just added the Cargo Cover. But in Shanghai. they are already adding this, so its not a stretch that this came with the car

Tesla is still loosing money by doing nothing. Every option out there which should be standard is getting made by third parties and tesla isn't getting a dime.
Adding more build options which include these will eventually be teslas only option for additional revenue on existing sales after the MY sales drop after next year

all true, I wouldn’t expect it to change ever, frankly. but it that’s what they have got for their key differentiators they need to work harder. The Y and 3 are expensive but I def see the gap in what you pay and what you get between a Y and X as a huge joke in terms of value. They just aren’t $60,000 worth of different, especially the MYP. The additional 0-60 is meaningless except bragging to your buddies.
On my MYLR, the effortless power available is impressive, even w/o the power boost option, which I do not yet have. Especially since it's so heavy at 4416lbs w/0 driver.
It's more than comparable to my 911 racecar everywhere but the top end, and that had 275hp to the rear wheels in 2460lbs w/driver and fuel (2250 dry w/o driver).
It can be a challenge to keep my foot out of it.

Very true, its possible this is one of the MYs being used as a Company car and the user just added the Cargo Cover. But in Shanghai. they are already adding this, so its not a stretch that this came with the car
There are two pics of the car in Joe's posts this morning.
On pic #112 it's shown at a different angle and seems to show a QR sticker on the top left corner of the windshield, indicative of a new build vehicle.
Likely a company car.
So it's likely a MIC cargo cover. I wouldn't expect the cover to carry much weight - those plastic AKRO bins on the cover are light and don't have much in them.

On my MYLR, the effortless power available is impressive, even w/o the power boost option, which I do not yet have. Especially since it's so heavy at 4416lbs w/0 driver.
It's more than comparable to my 911 racecar everywhere but the top end, and that had 275hp to the rear wheels in 2460lbs w/driver and fuel (2250 dry w/o driver).
It can be a challenge to keep my foot out of it.
Yeah it was something special on my M3P... but I hardly ever needed it -- unless you consider beating up on mustangs and chargers a sworn duty ... any under 6 secs is a gracious plenty for practical use.
I found the power most useful for smoothly moving around in traffic and the MYLR’s Ive driven have an excess amount at that speed. I may do the boost, but will live with it awhile before deciding. If uh... it ever gets here.

all true, I wouldn’t expect it to change ever, frankly. but it that’s what they have got for their key differentiators they need to work harder. The Y and 3 are expensive but I def see the gap in what you pay and what you get between a Y and X as a huge joke in terms of value. They just aren’t $60,000 worth of different, especially the MYP. The additional 0-60 between X and MYP is meaningless except bragging to your buddies.
The X is more of a luxury car than the Y and has a slightly more usable third row. It is a car that is geared towards the very well off who want the "best" car that Tesla builds. I doubt most of those customers honestly care particular much about the 0-60 times.