Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s why I wrote “EPA”... the real-world range of a 279-mile EPA model is going to be even lower than the figure you cite... close to 200 at interstate speeds. starts to get down to the just-not-worth-it range.
For use as a daily commuter, 200 may be enough, especially if you have a home charger and if it saves you 10K for 70-90 miles.

Reactions: Gt1948 and BGOwner
People freaking out about a shorter range Austin built Y should look on the bright side, it probably means additional upgrades rolled into the Fremont built Y like matrix headlights on all models, etc.

Austin car might come in at a substantially lower price but also be a little more of an economy car.
The Austin MY that was spotted charging didn't have Matrix lights

Reactions: z335is
For use as a daily commuter, 200 may be enough, especially if you have a home charger and if it saves you 10K for 70-90 miles.
I do have a level 2 charger and I had a Model 3P for two years. I do have a fair idea of what I personally need. 200 isn’t it. I’d buy a Volvo or Hyundai if that’s all I needed, save a ton of money, and have instruments in front of me.
My charger would work for them also.
Other folks of course would be fine with a car like that…though perhaps not many if Elon wants $60k for it.

Reactions: DrGriz

Austin MY lights.jpg

under no circumstances am I accepting a 280-mile EPA range “dual motor” even if they offered to cut $10k from the price, which they won’t. Would be off in a flash to buy someone else’s car. Hard to imagine many taking them up on something like that except folks with like, late fall or 2023 EDD maybe
Yeah, likewise. I wouldn't think many people with old prices and near-ish dates would change. But recent orders with long EDDs might consider it. (Some might prefer it.)

Reactions: advocate8

I'm not saying the Austin car will have matrix headlights, I'm saying if the Austin car is a lower priced 280 mile range Model Y then there might be more feature differentiation between that and the long range Y Fremont is building, which could mean the FREMONT cars get additional features like matrix headlights.

I'm not saying the Austin car will have matrix headlights, I'm saying if the Austin car is a lower priced 280 mile range Model Y then there might be more feature differentiation between that and the long range Y Fremont is building, which could mean the FREMONT cars get additional features like matrix headlights.
Or they could just cut features out of the lower priced Austin car and give it Intel, no heated wiper park and no Li-Ion 12V

I think pleanty of people would buy a 280 mile LFP since you could charge it to 100% all the time. a MYP is going to sit at/under 240 miles range for most of its life.

I think pleanty of people would buy a 280 mile LFP since you could charge it to 100% all the time. a MYP is going to sit at/under 240 miles range for most of its life.
They’re almost certainly only set up to build structural pack Y’s at Austin. I don’t know that LFP enters the equation for Austin production at all. But hypothetically? If it did?
To a degree the idea of charging to 100 percent all the time with a 279-mile LFP is still a commute car. Because A) it’s not going to yield anything like 279 in real world driving and B) when I needed 100 percent for periodic long trips with the 315-mile EPA range car, I charged to 100 percent. I expect to do the same with 330-mile EPA car and that extra 50 miles or whatever is a real benefit.
You don’t need 100 percent charge all the time whether the car can charge to it every day or not.

Reactions: SJC3
I am afraid to get my hopes up that Austin will have Cargo Covers for the MYs. Of course, we don't know what version of MY yet. But if they are, wonder if Fremont will follow suit and start shiping with Cargo Covers also.
Apparently Joe has spotted the cargo cover if that is the same as “rear package shelf.”.

Reactions: NaperY
I prefer to have the dual pane rear windows first & the ventilated seats, but that is wishful thinking.
We all have our wish lists for the small improvements from Fremont / Austin MYLR. First on my list would be the better headlights they’re using on the MYP, then the updated trim to inside front doors.... I guess the rear glass upgrade.
Want stuff that’s not been serious discussed more, namely heads-up display and 360-degree view. Just for the life of me cant figure out why they haven’t stuck a couple coders on the 360-view and rolled that into a software update.

We all have our wish lists for the small improvements from Fremont / Austin MYLR. First on my list would be the better headlights they’re using on the MYP, then the updated trim to inside front doors.... I guess the rear glass upgrade.
Want stuff that’s not been serious discussed more, namely heads-up display and 360-degree view. Just for the life of me cant figure out why they haven’t stuck a couple coders on the 360-view and rolled that into a software update.
HUD, I think we've been through over & over again, Elon was pressed on it too... sadly I doubt.
360 view, I agree, but that can be fixed with software, not hardware / improvements rolling out the factory.
Another hardware though, the yoke, makes perfect sense for the Y to have one as there's no display / HUD, so no top wheel view disturbance is a plus especially when they've so hard on the lack of HUD. Also don't think the yoke cost that significantly more. Less leather / stitching required.

HUD, I think we've been through over & over again, Elon was pressed on it too... sadly I doubt.
360 view, I agree, but that can be fixed with software, not hardware / improvements rolling out the factory.
Another hardware though, the yoke, makes perfect sense for the Y to have one as there's no display / HUD, so no top wheel view disturbance is a plus especially when they've so hard on the lack of HUD. Also don't think the yoke cost that significantly more. Less leather / stitching required.
Yes to all that except the yoke. Personal preference.... but total dealbreaker. I would go back to ICE before I would drive that. Elon gets stuff like that and instruments in the center and no HUD and no radar fixated in his head the Only True Path, and suddenly the innocent have to suffer.

Yes to all that except the yoke. Personal preference.... but total dealbreaker. I would go back to ICE before I would drive that. Elon gets stuff like that and instruments in the center and no HUD and no radar fixated in his head as The Only True Path, and suddenly the innocent have to suffer. There is a lot of good to be said for having a visionary genius totally in charge... but also some wrong-headed quirks we just have to deal with.