Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just came here to say you were very much wrong. They are now pushing out Austin MY SR AWD to MYLR and MYP reservation holders like I assumed. It made complete sense before and makes complete sense now.

Yea I was wrong, I thought who would takea a car with less range for the same price as a LR. But it seemse that anyone taking them on on the offer are going to be paying current price for the SR+ so if you SR was COsting you 58K you have to pay more just to get a car with less range.

I guess tesla figures that anyone willing to to take them up on the offer saves them the money they would not have gotten from their origional .

I picked up my MYP yesterday, the 9 month wait is just a memory now, good luck to those still waiting...

It's surprising Tesla isn't honoring the original order price. I would assume they budge if few folks take the offer.

There isn't an "original price" on MYAWD - it didn't exist at the time of the order. What they are doing is offering people who ordered MYLR to instead buy a MYAWD at current market price. Depending on the exact date the customer ordered on, this is roughly an even trade on "price" for an opportunity to get a car "right now" from the new factory, albeit with slightly lower range and acceleration. Some folks are up for it. Others are not. You can always keep the MYLR reservation and wait your turn at the ordered price on that one.

It's a fair offer in that it's all on the table, taking nothing away. Is it a "good" deal? Depends on each person's priorities but paying an extra thousand for a lower-spec car would not be something I'd jump on unless I just happened to really want to see how the new pack and factory-fit-and-finish are doing.

Yea I was wrong, I thought who would takea a car with less range for the same price as a LR. But it seemse that anyone taking them on on the offer are going to be paying current price for the SR+ so if you SR was COsting you 58K you have to pay more just to get a car with less range.

I guess tesla figures that anyone willing to to take them up on the offer saves them the money they would not have gotten from their origional .

I picked up my MYP yesterday, the 9 month wait is just a memory now, good luck to those still waiting...
Glad we settled this 🤝

There isn't an "original price" on MYAWD - it didn't exist at the time of the order. What they are doing is offering people who ordered MYLR to instead buy a MYAWD at current market price. Depending on the exact date the customer ordered on, this is roughly an even trade on "price" for an opportunity to get a car "right now" from the new factory, albeit with slightly lower range and acceleration. Some folks are up for it. Others are not. You can always keep the MYLR reservation and wait your turn at the ordered price on that one.

It's a fair offer in that it's all on the table, taking nothing away. Is it a "good" deal? Depends on each person's priorities but paying an extra thousand for a lower-spec car would not be something I'd jump on unless I just happened to really want to see how the new pack and factory-fit-and-finish are doing.
If you are switching to EVs and are looking at paying for gas for another 6+ months then it may be worth it to “sacrifice” 50 miles of range to start saving on gas right away (and maybe even pay a premium over your current reservation price).

Figure 30mpg, 1200 miles per month and that’s 40 gallons times 6 or 240 gallons. Times $5+ a gallon and you are looking at gas alone costing $1200+ while you wait for your car. Not to mention other ICE related expenditures. And if you are paying for premium in CA in a car that get less than 30mpg, costs go up quickly while you wait.

As for “sacrificing” range, we have a SR RWD (244 miles) and LR (330 miles). There is only 1 drive we have made in the year plus we have owned the SR Y that we were iffy on whether it would make it. The Dalles, OR to Kennewick, WA (or Pendleton, OR). Driving from CA to Eastern WA we had no issues with a 244 mile range car in cold weather (32-60 temp range) with elevation change. We got lucky with a tailwind leaving the Dalles so didn’t need a SC before our destination. I’d guess less than 5% of MY owners will ever be in a position where daily driving isnt possible with 279 mile range but would be with 330. 80% range is 223 vs 264. 41 miles, not 50. And it’s probably closer to 30 with the real world factored in.

Depending on the exact date the customer ordered on, this is roughly an even trade on "price" for an opportunity to get a car "right now" from the new factory, albeit with slightly lower range and acceleration.

This is the October Orders thread

My October order is $55.4k before color choice and hitch
330 mile range with 19" wheels

That is not an "even trade"
The range is not "slightly" higher

Your assertions are divorced from reality

Reactions: BGOwner
Has Tesla ever explicitly stated that the Performance line will take on the 4680? I was combing through some of the press releases, battery day statements, etc. and there is not one mention of the P. I just wonder if this was a clever omission to hedge a situation like they are dealing with now, or if maybe they really don't see this as a "performance" oriented battery.

Has Tesla ever explicitly stated that the Performance line will take on the 4680? I was combing through some of the press releases, battery day statements, etc. and there is not one mention of the P. I just wonder if this was a clever omission to hedge a situation like they are dealing with now, or if maybe they really don't see this as a "performance" oriented battery.
Probably have to wait an see what Berlin does

Nope, not a one mention that Performance specifically will take on 4680s. I have only heard MY in general. Not LR or P specific.

Reactions: advocate8
They have only said the SR AWD Y, the Cybertruck and the Semi will have 4680. The rest is factless speculation. They have explicitly said they will be making 2170 LR and P MY at Austin, later this year.

And that car should be delivered any day. No one in their right mind would get SR AWD when they are on the cusp of getting a VIN. Zen is talking about orders after the prices increased. Orders that are still 3-6+ months away from being fulfilled and are more closely or higher priced.

I wonder when they are goin to start the 2170 line so that they can get the back log under control.
Tesla said later this year. June 6 would be later this year but so would December 31. Only the people installing the line at the factory know.

Reactions: BMWY

(looks at header for thread - reads "Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production" on it)

Exactly as I said, depending on WHEN your order happened, it CAN be a roughly same-price trade from a MYLR to MYAWD, and I included my opinion that I did not feel accepting lower range and acceleration were worth it just to move up timeframe and get to sample latest factory output.

Not sure why you're mad about an October Thread or reality drama

Ordered a MYP on 26MAY, and was given the option of the MYSR. Choose one of the three options at the time, all having VINs. Delivery range remains July-SEPT regardless of what we do with the checklist. We've confirmed through the VIN that it is an Austin vehicle, and as of yesterday according to the SA the vehicle is built and supposedly sitting in Austin. The excuse we got was that there are no delivery trucks allocated to bring it from Austin to the showroom 70'ish miles south to San Antonio. No option to go there are pick it up ourselves.

Tesla's customer service is something else though, just kicking a dead horse at this point. If we text them they say one thing like, "It is currently at the factory in California, and will be in transit momentarily". If you text them, they will say something else. I even asked that they refund my down payment just in case, but that is a six week process apparently.

(looks at header for thread - reads "Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production" on it)

Exactly as I said, depending on WHEN your order happened, it CAN be a roughly same-price trade from a MYLR to MYAWD, and I included my opinion that I did not feel accepting lower range and acceleration were worth it just to move up timeframe and get to sample latest factory output.

Not sure why you're mad about an October Thread or reality drama

My error about the thread -- sorry about that.

Your original post said
Depending on the exact date the customer ordered on, this is roughly an even trade on "price" for an opportunity to get a car "right now" from the new factory, albeit with slightly lower range and acceleration.

Yes, that is what I am saying.
There maybe be inefficiency and some added weight (could be small), the upside is build flexibility. Sandy talked about this in one of his videos and speculation on a Tesla web site (about 2~3 months ago).
I would also guess this is a short term strategy as Tesla improves production and yields of the 4680.
Yes, speculation, but not wild guess considering how flexible Tesla (and other Musk ventures) is.

As to why they are not, it is all a guess. Could be as simple as it takes time to make adjustments, to improving 4680 production so they do not need to.

And yes, Tesla might drop 4680 completely and go back to 2170, or even Prismatics on the MY. Leaks are limited, have no idea what is going on
Your opinions are just as valid. Lets hope the issues are quickly resolved and production go up quickly.
MontyFloyd is right. All these arguments about whether it is possible to put a 2170 Battery Pack in an Austin built MYLR are ended by just looking at Berlin. They showed the NEW 2170 Battery Pack at the open house, using Front and Rear Castings and they've been pumping cars out for three months. Austin has the same production line. As soon as a, "regular customer" gets one of the many cars now coming out of Austin we'll know if they're YLR (too few people are taking the AWD bait). BTW, Fremont can't do any of this because, (as argued elsewhere on the Forum), Fremont is only using Rear Castings (regardless of how many Front Castings the drone flights are showing laying around outside).

Reactions: MontyFloyd
My error about the thread -- sorry about that.

Your original post said

Yep, and the people who tend to be seeing MYAWD offers have reservations which were made in 2022, hence they have a fairly high price locked in and a long wait for a car - that's the case where I find an interesting trade off, and it absolutely does exist, I've literally seen them. Yes, if you ordered in mid 2021 and already have an EDD in the next month or two it's not a great deal - you'd be looking at paying more for a lower range car when the alternative is imminent. This is why my statement is prefaced with "Depending on exact date customer ordered". That seemed pretty clear, and I again expressed my personal opinion that swapping to MYAWD at current prices isn't a good trade for most pending MYLR customers.