Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Launch/CoronaVirus/Likely Recession

Are you Delaying or Cancelling Order?

• No Change in Plans

Votes: 159 74.3%
  • Will Delay Until Markets Look Better

Votes: 47 22.0%
  • Cancelling Order

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of any company given an exemption, I think Tesla will be the most prepared because of their experiences in Shanghai. Temporarily housing workers closer to the factory, scanning for fevers at the door, protective masks, etc.
Sure, but car assembly is an "essential business"? Essential for what? Guess it depends on the definition of "essential" being used. Maybe they are giving waivers pretty much to anyone who asks for them?

I find this absolutely shocking when you have people walking around with the virus displaying no symptoms. At this point you can pretty much guarantee for each 100 workers showing up at least one is infected. Profits before public well being as usual. Wow.

Hmm.. It is such recklessness that got us here. I'm sure people are not going to die because they didn't get their Model Ys. But, on the other side, someone can really die.
Yeah. This is Elon hubris at it’s worse. I’ve worked on multiple pandemics. Do people not showing up for work get paid leave? The problem of not giving leave and making attendance a voluntary option is that many workers will need/choose to put others in risk (family members, transportation, etc) in order to keep their daily income safe. It is a classic externality option.

Reactions: dontblinkdoc
It's not about cars, it's about keeping our economy running. Workers on a factory floor cannot do their jobs from home; what's the alternative, massive layoffs?
Seriously? Keeping the economy running is more important than our health?

Elon emailed “I will personally be at work, but that’s just me,” he wrote, and ended the email with “I’d rather you were at home and not stressed, than at work and worried.” If Elon thinks the issue is stress and worry, he's really missing the boat.

Six Bay Area counties Monday issued a “shelter at home” order that effectively shuts down most business activity, except for a long list of “essential businesses.” Alameda County is home to the Fremont plant. Other counties include San Francisco and Santa Clara, the heart of Silicon Valley.

According to the Alameda County Public Health Department, businesses allowed to operate under the three-week order “include healthcare operations; businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals; fresh and non-perishable food retailers (including convenience stores); pharmacies; child care facilities; gas stations; banks; laundry businesses and services necessary for maintaining the safety, sanitation and essential operation of a residence.”

The order from the six counties also exempts “gas stations and auto-supply, auto-repair, and related facilities.” Seriously doubt that was intended to include a factory where this many of workers gather. If they want to give exemptions, the focus should be on locations where a handful or less of people will be toghether.

Musk said to his knowledge no one at Tesla has tested positive for COVID-19. He's obviously clueless on this, and does not understand he has employees in the factory right now who are infected...guaranteed.

Someone needs to tap him on the shoulder and explain to him what a PR disaster this could be.

It's not about cars, it's about keeping our economy running. Workers on a factory floor cannot do their jobs from home; what's the alternative, massive layoffs?
Wait and watch. If there are some positive cases and some elderly at home catches it from workers in the factory, it would end up worse than a two week shut-off.. And no one is talking about massive layoffs here.

I'm hoping that staying healthy and staying employed don't need to be mutually exclusive.

If there is a safe way for Fremont to continue operating, Elon will be the one to find it. If nothing is safe, I hope he will realize that and shut down as soon as possible. But my thinking is that if Tesla can find a way to safely operate Giga Shanghai a few weeks after the outbreak in Wuhan, they can do the same in Fremont.

Yeah. This is Elon hubris at it’s worse. I’ve worked on multiple pandemics. Do people not showing up for work get paid leave? The problem of not giving leave and making attendance a voluntary option is that many workers will need/choose to put others in risk (family members, transportation, etc) in order to keep their daily income safe. It is a classic externality option.
Yes, it's a problem with no easy/cookie cutter solution.
Like the guy told NBC News last night "the landlord don't care about the virus.. he still wants the rent on the first of next month".
Supposedly, 60% of our American workforce are hourly employees. You always hear the government saying "small businesses are the backbone of the economy", well they are the same people who can not afford to pay employees that don't come in to work.

In contrast, a friend's wife is a top level IT admin in a local school district. The Superintendent has told the administrative staff to stay home till further notice... of course they will be fully paid when staying home. So when I saw my friend this morning he said his wife was "freaking out" last night! I immediately thought the school board had decided to suspend pay for the admin. staff that were told to stay home. "Oh no, it wasn't that... she found her gym is closed after tonight!".
So you have people worrying about literally being thrown out of their dwellings or finding food at cleaned out grocery stores... and the "protected" people worrying about their gym memberships.
How do you solve that problem?

Helpful video shared by Teslarati on the precautions taken at Giga Shanghai to protect their employees: Tesla China shares Giga Shanghai safety measures against COVID-19 virus

Hoping this model will be applied in Fremont, Sparks, and Buffalo.
That's great, but we now know there are folks carrying around the virus with no symptoms. Anyone thinking infected people can be fully screened out with thermometers is foolishness. Look at what happened in Italy. They let it get too far, and then they were forced to take even more drastic measures than we have had to here (and we may yet have to do so).

Plus, how much can you trust propaganda put out by the Chinese media? Hopefully it has not been forgotten what these same people did in Wuhan.

Reactions: NY_Rob
I was expected to take delivery of my model Y next week but decided to defer my order for a future date. I want to see one in person here in Florida and to check out the back seat size (have 3 kids). Also don’t think it’s a great time to purchase with where the markets are at and what’s going on with the virus.

Reactions: Electric Steve
If there is a safe way for Fremont to continue operating, Elon will be the one to find it. If nothing is safe, I hope he will realize that and shut down as soon as possible. But my thinking is that if Tesla can find a way to safely operate Giga Shanghai a few weeks after the outbreak in Wuhan, they can do the same in Fremont.
This video dispels that hope. It's from the Fremont plant this morning showing workers boarding the shuttle buses to remote parking.

As you can see they have been well trained in social distancing...not!

I'll wait for my car. The plant needs to be shut down NOW!

Russ Mitchell on Twitter

The local government has taken a careful look at Tesla, and decided it is in the best interest to keep it open.

Easy to make a case to close it, and also to keep it open.

Imagine that the decision to keep it open will be on a day to day basis. They will be watching it closely, and will move to close if it is indicated.