Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Launch/CoronaVirus/Likely Recession

Are you Delaying or Cancelling Order?

• No Change in Plans

Votes: 159 74.3%
  • Will Delay Until Markets Look Better

Votes: 47 22.0%
  • Cancelling Order

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the actual quote from the county administrator. Elon was not the only CEO to make this mistake. I know these are difficult times, and everyone is looking for someone to blame, but at the end of the day he is human too. It's moments like these we need to pull together and support each other, instead of pointing fingers.

“Ultimately, the offices of Alameda County Administrator Susan Muranishi, County Counsel Donna Ziegler and County Public Health Officials made the decision about Tesla, Kelly said. The company was not alone in questioning the order, although it appears to be the largest employer to have done so.

Tesla, like other Alameda County businesses, can maintain basic functions under the shelter-in-place order, Kelly said. Those functions include maintaining the factory’s infrastructure and office work such as payroll but do not not include the manufacturing of electric cars.“

Elon was not the only CEO to make this mistake. /
Of course. Everyone thinks they deserve special treatment. Problem is he's likely the best known of those CEO's:)

At this point perhaps Elon needs to just shut the plant and keep his mouth shut too. Seems like quite a few forum member are also shareholders. More negative publicity is not going to help you.

It takes a lot (or in this case a Sheriff's order) to admit defeat, and that's just not in Elon's DNA, god bless him. IMO the sheriff did the right thing, cramming those workers on to a shuttle bus is a perfect breeding/transmission environment for the virus. It had to stop, one way or another.

Not to worry, we're only talking cars here folks.. not Ventilator manufacturing. Once this thing is over Elon and his healthy/eager workforce will be happy to continue taking our money and go back to making cars for us. I am glad his workers don't have to risk catching/transmitting the virus because of a paycheck.

I saw a disturbing graphic this morning on the news- 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck! Maybe this pandemic will help people realign their priorities with a more traditional ideology of having some savings to fall back on for a rainy day (or month)?

Last edited:
I saw a disturbing graphic this morning on the news- 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck! Maybe this pandemic will help people realign their priorities with a more traditional ideology of having some savings to fall back on for a rainy day (or month)?

i looked up that exact stat the other day. it's very concerning. hopefully one good thing that will at least come out of this is a better plan for national health insurance of some kind.

Reactions: NY_Rob
Wow indeed! Elon is starting to look like a bit on an ass****e. :(

Starting? I think that ship sailed a long time ago...

Regardless of what you think of him, that must be an awful position to be in as a Tesla employee. Getting mixed messages from your employer and the government during an already chaotic time is not a good position to be in. I admire him for all that he’s done (and will continue to do), but I wouldn’t want to work for him. :)

Reactions: NY_Rob
Seems like Tesla could argue that they fall under the exception of "auto-supply, auto-repair, and related facilities." If your car is not repairable, or has reached end-of-lease, or been contracted to sell to someone else, you have few alternatives to obtaining a new car.

Tesla learned a lot when their China plant was effected by the Corona Virus there.

Understand they are taking precautions to avoid the spread in the factory. Not sure about the shuttle buss thing.

Can make a compelling case to either close or to keep factory running and employee paychecks going out.