Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Launch/CoronaVirus/Likely Recession

Are you Delaying or Cancelling Order?

• No Change in Plans

Votes: 159 74.3%
  • Will Delay Until Markets Look Better

Votes: 47 22.0%
  • Cancelling Order

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for your insight! I have a meeting with my financial advisor tomorrow, and want to bring up not touching investments and instead taking out a loan. Any advantage to working with Tesla on this?
If I were you I would not sell any stocks right now and would get a loan. Fortunately I dont have to make that decision. My financial advisor moved me to all cash in the beginning of Feb. I protested about the capital gains I now have to pay in 2020 but he said a major correction was coming because of a virus thing in China and an election year. At that time the virus was just a side story in the media. A week later the market set a new all time high. Boy was I ticked off with him and then.. crash! I will never question him again! lol

Last edited:
If I were you I would not sell any stocks right now and would get a loan. Fortunately I dont have to make that decision. My financial advisor moved me to all cash in the beginning of Feb. I protested about the capital gains I now have to pay in 2020 but he said a major correction was coming because of a virus thing in China and an election year. At that time the virus was just a side story in the media. A week later the market set a new all time high. Boy was I ticked off with him and then.. crash! I will never question him again! lol

That's crazy to go all cash. Looks like it worked out though! Hoping for a low interest loan after meeting on the 18th.

I canceled my order. Huge disappointment, bu far too much uncertainty in the stock market and employment situation due to this pandemic. I planned to fund my purchase with some stock sell off, which obviously now isn't going to happen. Both my wife and I are now working virtually with the stability of our employers uncertain. Kids are out of school, etc, etc.. Far too much uncertainty to get into a big purchase at this time. The good news, it only took 3mo of waiting from my order submit to prepare for delivery email, so when things settle down and the economy recovers, it shouldn't be a long wait to get back onboard. Good luck to you all with your new MY purchases! I'll still be watching and drooling.

I work as an IT contractor, and my contract gets renewed every 6 months as needed, and is up in April. Up until now, I've never doubted that it will be renewed.

I'm a LR RWD reservation holder, so I don't see myself getting called by Tesla any time soon, but regardless I'm going to defer if I get the call before my work contract is renewed.

Does anyone know if the factory production will be stopped? It would be a huge impact to their financial projections.

Item #3 from the Shelter in Place order:

3. All businesses with a facility in the County, except Essential Businesses as defined below in Section 10, are required to cease all activities at facilities located within the County except Minimum Basic Operations, as defined in Section 10. For clarity, businesses may also continue operations consisting exclusively of employees or contractors performing activities at their own residences (i.e., working from home). All Essential Businesses are strongly encouraged to remain open. To the greatest extent feasible, Essential Businesses shall comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in Section 10 below, including, but not limited to, when any customers are standing in line.
Manufacturing is not listed in section 10 as an Essential Business.

f. For the purposes of this Order, “Essential Businesses” means:
i. Healthcare Operations and Essential Infrastructure;
ii. Grocery stores, certified farmers’ markets, farm and produce stands, supermarkets, food banks, convenience stores, and other establishments engaged in the retail sale of canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products (such as cleaning and personal care products). This includes stores that sell groceries and also sell other nongrocery products, and products necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences;
iii. Food cultivation, including farming, livestock, and fishing; iv. Businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals;
v. Newspapers, television, radio, and other media services;
vi. Gas stations and auto-supply, auto-repair, and related facilities;
vii. Banks and related financial institutions;
viii. Hardware stores;
ix. Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses;
x. Businesses providing mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes;
xi. Educational institutions—including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities—for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing essential functions, provided that social distancing of six-feet per person is maintained to the greatest extent possible;
xii. Laundromats, drycleaners, and laundry service providers;
xiii. Restaurants and other facilities that prepare and serve food, but only for delivery or carry out. Schools and other entities that typically provide free food services to students or members of the public may continue to do so under this Order on the condition that the food is provided to students or members of the public on a pick-up and take-away basis only. Schools and other entities that provide food services under this exemption shall not permit the food to be eaten at the site where it is provided, or at any other gathering site;
xiv. Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home;
xv. Businesses that supply other Essential Businesses with the support or supplies necessary to operate;
xvi. Businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, goods or services directly to residences;
xvii. Airlines, taxis, and other private transportation providers providing transportation services necessary for Essential Activities and other purposes expressly authorized in this Order;
xviii. Home-based care for seniors, adults, or children;
xix. Residential facilities and shelters for seniors, adults, and children;
xx. Professional services, such as legal or accounting services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities;
xxi. Childcare facilities providing services that enable employees exempted in this Order to work as permitted.​

• Informative
Reactions: CarbonFree
Item #3 from the Shelter in Place order:

3. All businesses with a facility in the County, except Essential Businesses as defined below in Section 10, are required to cease all activities at facilities located within the County except Minimum Basic Operations, as defined in Section 10. For clarity, businesses may also continue operations consisting exclusively of employees or contractors performing activities at their own residences (i.e., working from home). All Essential Businesses are strongly encouraged to remain open. To the greatest extent feasible, Essential Businesses shall comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in Section 10 below, including, but not limited to, when any customers are standing in line.
Manufacturing is not listed in section 10 as an Essential Business.

f. For the purposes of this Order, “Essential Businesses” means:
i. Healthcare Operations and Essential Infrastructure;
ii. Grocery stores, certified farmers’ markets, farm and produce stands, supermarkets, food banks, convenience stores, and other establishments engaged in the retail sale of canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products (such as cleaning and personal care products). This includes stores that sell groceries and also sell other nongrocery products, and products necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences;
iii. Food cultivation, including farming, livestock, and fishing; iv. Businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals;
v. Newspapers, television, radio, and other media services;
vi. Gas stations and auto-supply, auto-repair, and related facilities;
vii. Banks and related financial institutions;
viii. Hardware stores;
ix. Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses;
x. Businesses providing mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes;
xi. Educational institutions—including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities—for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing essential functions, provided that social distancing of six-feet per person is maintained to the greatest extent possible;
xii. Laundromats, drycleaners, and laundry service providers;
xiii. Restaurants and other facilities that prepare and serve food, but only for delivery or carry out. Schools and other entities that typically provide free food services to students or members of the public may continue to do so under this Order on the condition that the food is provided to students or members of the public on a pick-up and take-away basis only. Schools and other entities that provide food services under this exemption shall not permit the food to be eaten at the site where it is provided, or at any other gathering site;
xiv. Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home;
xv. Businesses that supply other Essential Businesses with the support or supplies necessary to operate;
xvi. Businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, goods or services directly to residences;
xvii. Airlines, taxis, and other private transportation providers providing transportation services necessary for Essential Activities and other purposes expressly authorized in this Order;
xviii. Home-based care for seniors, adults, or children;
xix. Residential facilities and shelters for seniors, adults, and children;
xx. Professional services, such as legal or accounting services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities;
xxi. Childcare facilities providing services that enable employees exempted in this Order to work as permitted.​
Well this sucks....

Reactions: Electric Steve
LasVegas2019 said:

So please... by all means let us know when your new BFF advises you back into the market!

LasVegas2019 said:

So please... by all means let us know when your new BFF advises you back into the market!
Can lightning strike twice in the same place? We will see but right now he is saying when we hit bottom we will know because there will be a quick rally which will fail and then test the low again. Just one mans opinion subject to change!