Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y long term issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fellow Model Y and other Tesla Model owners, what issues have you experienced with your cars, either in warranty or out of?

I'm one year in and ideally want to hold on to the car for as long as I can and wanted to see what issues to look out for. Sorry if this a duplicate, I couldn't find an already existing thread.

My biggest concern was that Tesla didnt offer an extended warranty on it... that kinda raised an eyebrow a bit. Almost every manufacturer is willing to take some extra money from people because they're confident their cars wont break.

Then a few weeks ago Tesla started offering extended warranties through the app. I'm much less concerned now. I dont think I'll get the warranty, but the fact they offer it shows me they have at least a little confidence these cars will make it to 75k realtively trouble free.

Part of the reason I got the Y was because the platform had been proven for a few years on the Model 3. I have a 2021 so my warranty expires in 2025, I'll decide then if I should sell the car, get the extended warranty, or keep it as-is depending on the trends I see from those with 2020 MYs and older Model 3s. So far there is nothing to lead me to believe the car wont last a long time.

My friend has a 2015 Model S with 150k on it, he's been very pleased. The biggest difference (and why I'm basing my decisions on 3's and Y's) is his battery degredation has been nearly 0. He's lost 8mi over range over 8 years. My Y has lost 26mi of range in 2yrs. I lose about a mile of range a month and it really hasnt plateaued. Its not a major concern now, but may play into my decision to keep or sell down the road. (and before anyone mentions it.... yes I been through all the BMS reset steps)

Reactions: random_driver
3 plus years in with Model Y. No issues that couldn’t be dealt with by Ranger, so, nothing big. My biggest concern is, if larger issues do occur. Currently, the closest service center is about 2 hours away. Further, these centers are already overwhelmed by appointments. Combined, this does not bode well for future maintenance. There is talk of a service center opening closer, but until it does, my unease remains.

Reactions: random_driver