Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I am interested in, why they don't produce Model Y in White color :(
This is exactly the color I have ordered. And interestingly that when they started production in April, they had white MY on the lot, but not anymore for months...

This is my first post to TMC but I received my MYLR that was built in Austin a couple of weeks ago. The vin confirms it came from Austin and the side sticker by the driver seat confirms it was manufactured in June. I keep the charge at 90% but when fully charged to that level I am showing 297 miles.

Reactions: Daekwan and DanDi58
What I am interested in, why they don't produce Model Y in White color :(
This is exactly the color I have ordered. And interestingly that when they started production in April, they had white MY on the lot, but not anymore for months...
White is the easiest color for hiding a bad paint job, so it makes sense to me that they might leave Fremont's inferior paint shop to build more of the white cars and let Austin start building other colors initially.

Austin factory has a new state of the art paint facility that is going to be a mile better than the one in California.

White is the easiest color for hiding a bad paint job, so it makes sense to me that they might leave Fremont's inferior paint shop to build more of the white cars and let Austin start building other colors initially.

Austin factory has a new state of the art paint facility that is going to be a mile better than the one in California.
White is one of the hardest colors to match, especially when you add in pearl.

Solid black is the easiest as there is zero variation. It’s just black.

Reactions: voxel and KJD
DM14,

Can you please clarify you statement "I keep the charge at 90% but when fully charged to that level I am showing 297 miles."
Do you mean:
1. At 90% charge you see 297mi rage?
or
2. At 100% charge you see 297mi range?

If that is case #2, than something is off. And it does not line up with MYLR with either wheel options:
19’’ Gemini Wheels Range (EPA est.) : 330mi
20’’ Induction Wheels Range (est.) : 318mi

Thank you,
Max

If that is case #2, than something is off. And it does not line up with MYLR with either wheel options:
Not necessarily. Instead of turning this into another battery 'degradation' thread, take a look at this. There are other threads on this topic as well.

DM14,

Can you please clarify you statement "I keep the charge at 90% but when fully charged to that level I am showing 297 miles."
Do you mean:
1. At 90% charge you see 297mi rage?
or

19’’ Gemini Wheels Range (EPA est.) : 330mi
20’’ Induction Wheels Range (est.) : 318mi

Thank you,
Max
I should have re-phrased that, it’s #1 and the wheels are 19”

DM14,
Thank you for the clarification. That makes more sense.
I assume that your car has a structural battery pack. Now I am curious to know if it is the identical pack to "standard range" model Y offered to Tesla employees.

DanDi58,
Good point. I did not want to stat battery degradation discussion. Based on original post by DM14, his car is just 2-3 weeks old. So I do not think degradation plays any significant role in this calculation.

Thank you,
Max

Reactions: DanDi58
So now that the MYLR is confirmed to be both built & delivered out of Austin.. have there been any deep dives into the differences in build quality? Like an idiot, I passed up on trading up to an MYP last year when they were almost $10K cheaper than now.. in hopes of getting significantly better paint & assembly.. plus 4680 cells. And here I am over a year later still waiting to see if there is any discernable difference between the two factories.

Part of me still hates I didn't pull the trigger. Part of me still feels like there still isn't that much of a difference to warranty trading my Y.. for another Y.. that still feels, looks & works exactly as what I pretty much already have.

White is one of the hardest colors to match, especially when you add in pearl.

Solid black is the easiest as there is zero variation. It’s just black.
I believe that Tesla have previously communicated that they changed the base paint color on Model 3 from black to white specifically because it was easier to produce white cars without noticeable paint defects compared to black.

DM14,
Thank you for the clarification. That makes more sense.
I assume that your car has a structural battery pack. Now I am curious to know if it is the identical pack to "standard range" model Y offered to Tesla employees.

DanDi58,
Good point. I did not want to stat battery degradation discussion. Based on original post by DM14, his car is just 2-3 weeks old. So I do not think degradation plays any significant role in this calculation.

Thank you,
Max
His MY does NOT have a structural pack if it has 297 mile range at 90%. That is 330 at 100% which is 2170. 4680 (structural pack) is 279 at 100% or 251 at 90%.

So now that the MYLR is confirmed to be both built & delivered out of Austin.. have there been any deep dives into the differences in build quality? Like an idiot, I passed up on trading up to an MYP last year when they were almost $10K cheaper than now.. in hopes of getting significantly better paint & assembly.. plus 4680 cells. And here I am over a year later still waiting to see if there is any discernable difference between the two factories.

Part of me still hates I didn't pull the trigger. Part of me still feels like there still isn't that much of a difference to warranty trading my Y.. for another Y.. that still feels, looks & works exactly as what I pretty much already have.
Not sure about comparison, but I think I saw a video on YouTube where someone took a paint meter to a 4680 car. Just saw it in passing so don't recall who it was. Not someone I normally follow. Might want to check there.

Not sure about comparison, but I think I saw a video on YouTube where someone took a paint meter to a 4680 car. Just saw it in passing so don't recall who it was. Not someone I normally follow. Might want to check there. And maybe look at Sandy Munro's channel as they are taking a 4680 car apart. He might have commented on the quality before they took the tools out.