Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up new MYP today, and noticed it right away as i have another 2021 MY that doesn't make this noise at all. It gets so loud right after normal acceleration and normal cruising at any speed, and ridiculously loud if you accelerate hard... This is not the tesla i was expecting, this is seriously going to make me sell the car right away as i don't think i can drive it even for a few weeks.. can more people post if you're ALL taking deliveries with newest vins and same issue? or is it only SOME Vins?

I am sorry about your new Model Y having this very same issue. It looks like the problem is randomly distributed. I see people getting new cars that are completely quiet and others that have that terrible noise. I am one of those. Got my Model Y delivered on June 22, my VIN's last six digits are 207021.

Reactions: ZzzzZ
Sorry about your car as well!.

I waited for this car and wanted it so badly... but this is just sad, i was sick in my stomach all day about this issue. are you able to get in touch somehow with people from korea to see how they're fixing the issue?, if thats the case im placing another order for myp and will hope for no noise..... i love the car but not the noise,

So i did a post on Facebook about the issue today, but you're more experienced with this issue than me, what's your take on the % of cars that have this issue? cause if i have no chance of getting a good one then im getting an ice and im dead serious. This noise to me sounds a bit like electricity, or like electric transformers of high voltage....

Reactions: fablau
Sorry about your car as well!.

I waited for this car and wanted it so badly... but this is just sad, i was sick in my stomach all day about this issue. are you able to get in touch somehow with people from korea to see how they're fixing the issue?, if thats the case im placing another order for myp and will hope for no noise..... i love the car but not the noise,

So i did a post on Facebook about the issue today, but you're more experienced with this issue than me, what's your take on the % of cars that have this issue? cause if i have no chance of getting a good one then im getting an ice and im dead serious. This noise to me sounds a bit like electricity, or like electric transformers of high voltage....

Your description corresponds exactly to what I am experiencing. Unfortunately, it is like solving a puzzle here. I see people having the problem and other people not having it. It is clear it is affecting just cars produced in the past 3-4 months because it is my understanding that all previously produced cars were all quiet. From what I see discussed here and there, it appears that the percentage is around 50%-50%.

I am also seriously thinking to resell my car if this problem will not be addressed soon. Next week my contact in Korea should take his car to the service center, and he'll report to me. I really hope he can actually have it fixed. That'll help to understand exactly what they repaired or replaced and gives us a path to follow.

I'll keep everyone posted for sure. Thank you again for reporting your experience, and please, be sure to visit my site and sign the petition (you find it in my signature below).

Thanks again!

Since I’m playing the waiting game, I’m also reading some of the Waiting Room threads over in the Ordering sub-forum. From the small sample size of threads I’m following, I haven’t seen this issue mentioned by anyone who just picked up their car. Their focus appears to be mainly on what they can see.

It’s going to be difficult to get a percentage on how far this issue goes.

It's included because they're being investigated by a federal agency for Tesla's slamming into parked emergency vehicles. Not because people like you tweet him 20 times a day.
Lol, I’ve never tweeted Elon (or anyone for that matter). Don’t even have a twitter account. You have me confused for someone else.. I merely suggested that the OP reach out that way. I believe you replied to wrong person/comment.
Calm down, son!

Reactions: fablau and Amped412
I picked up new MYP today, and noticed it right away as i have another 2021 MY that doesn't make this noise at all. It gets so loud right after normal acceleration and normal cruising at any speed, and ridiculously loud if you accelerate hard... This is not the tesla i was expecting, this is seriously going to make me sell the car right away as i don't think i can drive it even for a few weeks.. can more people post if you're ALL taking deliveries with newest vins and same issue? or is it only SOME Vins?
Can you share your VIN range?

Since I’m playing the waiting game, I’m also reading some of the Waiting Room threads over in the Ordering sub-forum. From the small sample size of threads I’m following, I haven’t seen this issue mentioned by anyone who just picked up their car. Their focus appears to be mainly on what they can see.

It’s going to be difficult to get a percentage on how far this issue goes.

That's right. And many people don't realize it until you tell them, mostly who's coming from ICE cars. They have no idea what means to drive a quiet Tesla. And most people have the A/C on all the time, so they may think the noise is normal when it is not.

Do you by any chance know if tesla will take this car back i only have 57 miles on it?

It is my understanding that there is no way to give the car back nowadays. Previously they allowed to give it back within 7 days from the delivery, but that's not the case anymore. I have no idea how's their "return policy" and I am not sure they have one anymore:

Ok drove the car again to work today and felt sick to the stomach that i paid 64k for a..... electrical noise in the car. It goes up substantially as you do even a normal acceleration and really loud if you accelerate hard. Also The sound gets louder the more AC you turn on, so if AC if off, there is the most annoying sound, at AC on level 1-10 it gets louder at the same level as the fan increases, and no its not a fan noise. Also when you turn on passenger air, it gets louder once again. if you turn the rear AC it gets louder again even more, and so you’re sitting in a beautiful potential car but surrounded in a transformer sound and vibration lol.!!!! .... I just hopped in my other MYLR from 2021 and did the exact same thing with no increase in this stupid humming noise thats more of an electrical transformer noise for me as im turning on passenger ac and the rear AC. Another note, i can absolutely feel the pump or whatever is making the noise in my steering wheel THE MOST or anywhere i put my hand on the dash, like actual micro vibration..... again my other tesla ABSOLUTELY none....

Now from the outside of the car in the trunk area the story is a bit different.

on my older vin 77k the noise is not much louder at all then the 268k vin, but again totally different on the inside.... and to me the sound is coming more from the middle of the car, not exactly from the passenger side. Also the drivers side does make a lot more noise for me then the passenger OUTSIDE of the car side.

Also just went to park with kids and another MYP was parked, vin 248xxx. Talked to the guy, asked him to get in my car, and he was shocked telling us all the things we say here, like wow, this is terrible, electric cars should be quiet thats why we buy these cars and so on.. so yeah there are some of the ys that dont have this probllem

Reactions: fablau and K-Fresh
Ok drove the car again to work today and felt sick to the stomach that i paid 64k for a..... electrical noise in the car. It goes up substantially as you do even a normal acceleration and really loud if you accelerate hard. Also The sound gets louder the more AC you turn on, so if AC if off, there is the most annoying sound, at AC on level 1-10 it gets louder at the same level as the fan increases, and no its not a fan noise. Also when you turn on passenger air, it gets louder once again. if you turn the rear AC it gets louder again even more, and so you’re sitting in a beautiful potential car but surrounded in a transformer sound and vibration lol.!!!! .... I just hopped in my other MYLR from 2021 and did the exact same thing with no increase in this stupid humming noise thats more of an electrical transformer noise for me as im turning on passenger ac and the rear AC. Another note, i can absolutely feel the pump or whatever is making the noise in my steering wheel THE MOST or anywhere i put my hand on the dash, like actual micro vibration..... again my other tesla ABSOLUTELY none....

Now from the outside of the car in the trunk area the story is a bit different.

on my older vin 77k the noise is not much louder at all then the 268k vin, but again totally different on the inside.... and to me the sound is coming more from the middle of the car, not exactly from the passenger side. Also the drivers side does make a lot more noise for me then the passenger OUTSIDE of the car side.

That's interesting indeed. Could you please take a video of your noise from outside and inside the cabin? From your description, it looks like the situation is a little different from my car. Please, let us know if that's possible.

Thank you!