Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made a video, direct comparison back to back in a single video of my 2 model ys.... The only thing i will say, is that i have never noticed the sound in my MYLR before, but i immediately noticed the sound driving home from dealership yesterday in new MYP, i just didn't really notice it with ac and music on. But then when i turned of the music to give a ride to my kids in new car, i picked up a weird sound right away. And overall yes my other MYLR is making same sounds but at a completely acceptable levels and not as high pitch.... Also when MYLR IS parked its pretty much whisper quiet where i NEVER thought the car was noisy . And absolutely no vibration in MYLR, but i feel it everywhere in the car except the seat im sitting on. Its a long video, but i do go back and fourth with the tests, hope some of you can chime in and let me know if its the same issue you guys are having or if its different. Im working asap to actually sell the car with low miles, but i need to get the title from bank upload it to autocheck. If anyone has tips on selling this the quickest way maybe you can msg me. What a pain......

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
Got touchless delivery tonight. Found the same issue on my model Y. It keep humming and will check whether the issue still there tomorrow morning. This issue is so annoying make me hard to sleep.

Thank you for reporting it, and I am sorry you have the same problem. I feel your pain!

If you still have it, please, contact your service center right away (or your contact at Tesla), and report the issue. Tell them that many other people have the same problem and Model Ys are supposed to be quiet! Keep us posted with your response ;)

Thank you again.

Reactions: ZzzzZ
Made a video, direct comparison back to back in a single video of my 2 model ys.... The only thing i will say, is that i have never noticed the sound in my MYLR before, but i immediately noticed the sound driving home from dealership yesterday in new MYP, i just didn't really notice it with ac and music on. But then when i turned of the music to give a ride to my kids in new car, i picked up a weird sound right away. And overall yes my other MYLR is making same sounds but at a completely acceptable levels and not as high pitch.... Also when MYLR IS parked its pretty much whisper quiet where i NEVER thought the car was noisy . And absolutely no vibration in MYLR, but i feel it everywhere in the car except the seat im sitting on. Its a long video, but i do go back and fourth with the tests, hope some of you can chime in and let me know if its the same issue you guys are having or if its different. Im working asap to actually sell the car with low miles, but i need to get the title from bank upload it to autocheck. If anyone has tips on selling this the quickest way maybe you can msg me. What a pain......

WOW! Thank you so much for taking this awesome video! That really tells it all! You have the same exact problem I have my friend. I am so sorry for your pain, and I understand you want to sell it! I'll get in touch with you via PM on the details on that because I am interested in that as well as a backup plan.

But I am wondering: Did you tell Tesla about this issue? Either to the service center or any other possible contact, you may have at Tesla? Curious to know that.

Also, if I were you, I'd compare the cooling system in the trunk of both Teslas by removing the hood hiding the cooling system to see if there are any noticeable differences. I am talking about "visible" differences, not "audio" which you have very well showcased in your video.

I can't thank you enough for publishing this amazing video. If you don't mind, I'll share it with everyone here and other forums.

Also, did you sign the petition on my website? Please, let me know. Thanks again!

A note for everyone who can't hear the noise in the above-posted videos:

Make sure you are listening with a good audio system, or at least, a system that can handle low frequencies. For example, if you try to listen to the noise with your phone speaker, you most likely won't be able to hear it. And probably not even with small ear pieces. I'd suggest using larger speakers or higher quality headphones.

That video is very informative. If steering wheel and cabin vibration doesn't get their attention, I'm not sure what will.

Reactions: fablau
A note for everyone who can't hear the noise in the above-posted videos:

Make sure you are listening with a good audio system, or at least, a system that can handle low frequencies. For example, if you try to listen to the noise with your phone speaker, you most likely won't be able to hear it. And probably not even with small ear pieces. I'd suggest using larger speakers or higher quality headphones.
I was able to hear the sounds clearly with my earbuds. It was hard to hear with the device speakers.

That video is very informative. If steering wheel and cabin vibration doesn't get their attention, I'm not sure what will.

That's a good point! Fact is, in my case, the vibration on the steering wheel is very subtle. But the noise is exactly like the one showcased in the video. And, as always, unless you have two Model Ys, one quiet and one with this problem, it's hard to let Tesla Service understand it. And even if you can do that (as I did!), they are most likely dismissing it saying that "new cars have this, and it is normal". Which is just BS and makes no sense. 👎 Just an insult to logic.

it does have bio defense mode

i also did sign up on your website as well as filled out petition.

also i did remove the cover in the trunk and new myp has that huge filter covering battery and all of the components under it... where non biodefence mode has everything exposed....

it does have bio defense mode

i also did sign up on your website as well as filled out petition.

also i did remove the cover in the trunk and new myp has that huge filter covering battery and all of the components under it... where non biodefence mode has everything exposed....

Good to know. So I see no relation between having or not having the HEPA filter at this point. And of course, with that stuff over the cooling system, you can't see anything. ;)

Like i said earlier last night a guy with vin 248k, doesn't have this noise whatsoever..... maybe he was one of the last lucky ones i dont' know but i know i can't live with the damn noise when electric cars should be quiet.

Of course, you can't live with that noise, as I can't myself!

This problem seems to affect randomly about 50% of the new cars. I am still thinking this is related to supply shortages. There is some component there that's causing this noise, either the water pumps themselves, or their bearing to the octovalve system, or something else right there in the same spot.

interestingly, i have had 6 family members get in the new car, and they all said, same thing, this is unacceptable and annoying sound, yet we all know what tesla will say......... and they all sat in my older mylr, which again is TOTALLY acceptable tiny bit on nice sound.......

interestingly, i have had 6 family members get in the new car, and they all said, same thing, this is unacceptable and annoying sound, yet we all know what tesla will say......... and they all sat in my older mylr, which again is TOTALLY acceptable tiny bit on nice sound.......

I know, it's absurd. I know for a fact that Tesla looks at the "safety" side of any reported issue first. And I agree with that. But safety shouldn't be the only side to consider. What about "comfort," or the complete satisfaction and, most importantly, the expectations of the user? They don't seem to care about that.

So, if you complaining about something, what they do first is checking if the component works as expected. So, if you report a problem with the cooling system, like in this case, they want to make sure that the cooling system works as expected (keeps the temperature where it must be, doesn't over-heat, etc). But their concerns end there. They seem to not care if the customer is annoyed by something that is "within their standard levels." Which is quite disappointing and bizarre to me.