Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Mud Flap Saga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the veritably "easy" mud flap install for a Model Y became quite the project.

1. If you install the Tesla OEM flaps, Ive heard thats easy, and its only for the front.

2. There are Basenor and others that all have their own idiosyncrasies.

3 There are 4 set flaps that install easily in the front. The back end, some Y's have a screw that must be removed to install. Almost always the screw cannot be extricated. There is a nut inside the fender liner that appears to be spot welded on a frame. If you cannot remove the bolt, you must then peel back the fender liner(after popping off 2 push button grommets) to expose the nut. I cannot get vise grips in the space and hold the nut in place, while attempting to unscrew the 10mm bolt. Some have opined that you must remove the wheel to gain access.

That's where I stop.

Allegedly ,some state that not all Tesla's have the 10MM screw. If you see where the screw is located, it is obvious why a screw was used and not a plastic grommet.

Some report a grommet in the back underside and move through this install easily.

Poor research on the part of the manufacturer. There are stories on this forum where owners had to use a hacksaw to remove the bolt. I do not know in that case what happened to the corresponding nut.

A very poor result. No flaps in the back.

Have ordered xpel film to install on the rockers . $49 just became $230.

Caveat Emptor.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I bought the tesla branded 3m and mud flaps. Easy install and fairly quick delivery to Canada.
20210318_161924.jpg

I had success removing the rear fender bolts using a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 10mm socket. The short handle on the 1/4" ratchet prevents you from over torquing the bolt while removing and keeps the captive weld intact. FWIW- Tesla put thread locker on that bolt (IIRC it was the "yellow" strength), so that makes removing it slowly and gently even more important.

Reactions: JonB65
I had success removing the rear fender bolts using a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 10mm socket. The short handle on the 1/4" ratchet prevents you from over torquing the bolt while removing and keeps the captive weld intact. FWIW- Tesla put thread locker on that bolt (IIRC it was the "yellow" strength), so that makes removing it slowly and gently even more important.
Would have been helpful to know. As of now no rear flaps

I put on the RPMs which look nice. I'll reiterate the concern over the 10 mm bolts...the RR is particularly problematic and I ended up stripping it after trying to tighten it after I'd repositioned the other 2 push pins. Everything is tight due to the push pins and it can't go anywhere as the bolt is there...just not tight. Don't know if I can cut it and use a push pin or just leave it since it is tight.

Has anyone installed the rear mud flaps without using the bolts. Can't figure out why they are needed since the front ones seem secure with pushpins and molding clip. Any thoughts? LR bolt is removable but RR is tight and I'm afraid I'll break the nut weld as some have reported.

I asked my friend, the Firestone manager, to rotate the tires and install the 4 mudflaps. He and one of his mechanics worked on it. He said the rears weren't easy. He charged me $27.00, and I gave him and the mechanic $20.00 each. Everyone was happy.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Has anyone installed the rear mud flaps without using the bolts. Can't figure out why they are needed since the front ones seem secure with pushpins and molding clip. Any thoughts? LR bolt is removable but RR is tight and I'm afraid I'll break the nut weld as some have reported.
Yep - Just installed mine last night with only 2 pushpins per flap. Seem to be tight and secure.

Just get the mud flaps on ASAP

All the white spots are where the red paint is gone and the white undercoat is exposed. Do not see any exposed metal yet. Just over 5k miles.
Wow, VERY sorry to see that! I put the Basenor mud flaps on my Model Y today and they fit and look great. I had no issues with the rear bolts, but was nervous for a bit as a heard a pop on the first one and it seemed to be spinning, but it turned out to just be the thread lock keep it from backing out easily.

I have a box of push pins/plastic rivets from Amazon and I was able to find a shorter one that I was able to install with messing with the nuts/bolt. The one I used was a little shorter and a bit smaller in diameter. But they both seemed to grip well.

Just a thought. If you are inclined to purchased mud flaps for self-installation then prior to ordering see if you can remove the required bolts first.

Rich

@RichAZ/CapeCod hey that's a pretty great idea!! In retrospect, it should be quite obvious; yet, I never thought of it, nor do I recall anyone else here suggesting it so far. Thanks for sharing.