Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... lithium, cobalt, nickel prices skyrocketed 400% at one point.

EV makers Hyundai and Kia barely raised their prices an inch. Ford jacked up their prices $8K-10K like Tesla from 2021 to 2023. Chevy did the opposite and cut prices by $6300.
We've chewed this piece of gum many times in various threads about why prices are higher. It's many different things in a fairly short period of time: Consumer spending going ballistic during covid, corporate greed, inflationary pressures on inputs (materials, wages), higher demand due to a sudden spike in fuel prices following Russia invading Ukraine, anticipation of tax incentives (US), broader acceptance of BEV's being a viable replacement for ICE vehicles, Y production ramping up and instantly becoming a top seller, to name the top of mind ones, I'm sure there are more.

Pinning it on single reason is false and reductive logic.

Chevy probably cut to spur demand for the Bolt after their (suppliers) battery fiasco, and they were selling at a steep discount even before that due to overall weak demand, at least in my area.

Last edited:
Well..... I dearly love my Y priced last September, now.... chose options to make an apples to apples comparison with a 2023 AWD Cadillac Lyriq (tow, 20" wheels and EAP) and bleep, the Y is 10K more expensive.
Ahem:
LYRIQ
All-Wheel Drive
MSRP Starting at Around: $64,000*
*Actual MSRP will be determined by vehicle configuration. Full vehicle features, specs, pricing and colors to be announced closer to the start of production. Excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and other optional equipment. Final price set by dealer.

Reactions: Zalick
Well..... I dearly love my Y priced last September, now.... chose options to make an apples to apples comparison with a 2023 AWD Cadillac Lyriq (tow, 20" wheels and EAP) and bleep, the Y is 10K more expensive.
if you want to gamble on a new vehicle from GM...... go for it.
in reality, their 'spring 2023 delivery' website statement has already been walked back 6 months.
I'd doubt you could get one before spring 2024 with an order today.

Reactions: Zalick
I don’t need a ton of space, but would go with the Merc EQB, i4, EV6, Lyric, Lightning with price increases, etc. For one simple reason. They all have vastly superior ride and well-sorted NVH.
in my experience, the Germans don't do electrics well. Gerspritzensparken ain't their thing. I've owned several German cars, Porsche's, BMW's. Audi's.
Lightning left me cold; just not into the Ford truck thing, always preferred GM/Chevy...but that's me. The Lightning V2L is a great feature though.
V2L is going to become a big issue as electricity grids become less reliable. Tesla needs to address this in their cars, not sell unavailable Powerwalls.
Lyric seems okay but can't get it. Nor can you get most any of the alternatives you listed any time soon. If I'm waiting, I go with the mature solution...Tesla.
As for NVH, I don't have any NVH issues - none - with the MYLR I own, now 9K miles.

Suspension is subjective but I agree it could be improved for the MYLR.
However, wheelbase is a limiting factor.
A Porsche Cayenne has the same WB, and the same ride characteristics. But people don't complain because it's a Porsche and they expect that.
Notably, I rejected the Cayenne for that reason some years ago, but I'm okay with the MY because it's cheaper to buy and cheaper to operate. And faster.
Remember, I did say subjective....

I could perhaps see springing for the new Tesla 'Comfort' kit when it becomes available, but not any of the third-party kits unless I were to go Redwood.
The gains are marginal for the money paid, so I'd lean factory kit.

• Informative
Reactions: Corndart and Zalick
in my experience, the Germans don't do electrics well. Gerspritzensparken ain't their thing. I've owned several German cars, Porsche's, BMW's. Audi's.
Lightning left me cold; just not into the Ford truck thing, always preferred GM/Chevy...but that's me. The Lightning V2L is a great feature though.
V2L is going to become a big issue as electricity grids become less reliable. Tesla needs to address this in their cars, not sell unavailable Powerwalls.
Lyric seems okay but can't get it. Nor can you get most any of the alternatives you listed any time soon. If I'm waiting, I go with the mature solution...Tesla.
As for NVH, I don't have any NVH issues - none - with the MYLR I own, now 9K miles.

Suspension is subjective but I agree it could be improved for the MYLR.
However, wheelbase is a limiting factor.
A Porsche Cayenne has the same WB, and the same ride characteristics. But people don't complain because it's a Porsche and they expect that.
Notably, I rejected the Cayenne for that reason some years ago, but I'm okay with the MY because it's cheaper to buy and cheaper to operate. And faster.
Remember, I did say subjective....

I could perhaps see springing for the new Tesla 'Comfort' kit when it becomes available, but not any of the third-party kits unless I were to go Redwood.
The gains are marginal for the money paid, so I'd lean factory kit.
My Macan on steel springs was like a magic carpet compared to the Ys I’ve driven (LR with the smaller wheels). As you said Porsche isn’t a comfort first brand either. The 3 and Y are the worst EVs I’ve driven for NVH.

Reactions: Daekwan
My Macan on steel springs was like a magic carpet compared to the Ys I’ve driven (LR with the smaller wheels). As you said Porsche isn’t a comfort first brand either. The 3 and Y are the worst EVs I’ve driven for NVH.
well, steel? .... McPherson struts.....
and yes, Tesla could do it better,as I suggested

as for NVH, I don't think Tesla has issues there.

Subjective !!!! ;-)

Reactions: Corndart
I'd isolate the general category of 'nvh' to single out the suspension. Noise, squeaks, rattles, other annoyances, at least in my vehicle, are low, NA, NA and NA respectively. The ride quality could be improved but this should have been identified during a test drive if it was a dealbreaker for any would-be buyer.

Ahem:
LYRIQ
All-Wheel Drive
MSRP Starting at Around: $64,000*
*Actual MSRP will be determined by vehicle configuration. Full vehicle features, specs, pricing and colors to be announced closer to the start of production. Excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and other optional equipment. Final price set by dealer.
I think they're saying that while speccing builds for comparing today, they noticed the Y is now $10k more expensive than what they paid last September and not that the Y is $10k more than the Lyriq

I think they're saying that while speccing builds for comparing today, they noticed the Y is now $10k more expensive than what they paid last September and not that the Y is $10k more than the Lyriq
The way I read it is for $10k less, one can have a Lyriq. I'll print this thread and eat it while livestreaming on Twitch if someone can post a receipt for a $64k Lyriq (minus the invariants like delivery fee and taxes). They haven't locked the price on the Lyriq so saying it was an "apples to apples comparison when the Y was ~64k, same as the Lyriq" is incorrect, if that makes sense.

The way I read it is for $10k less, one can have a Lyriq. I'll print this thread and eat it while livestreaming on Twitch if someone can post a receipt for a $64k Lyriq (minus the invariants like delivery fee and taxes). They haven't locked the price on the Lyriq so saying it was an "apples to apples comparison when the Y was ~64k, same as the Lyriq" is incorrect, if that makes sense.
That's the way I read it too and was trying to figure out how that was the case, then looked at the person's post history and saw this in another thread back in June

Wow is right, price has gone up 10K since my 9/1 order. I have the car now (4 days) and it's wonderful but would I have paid 70K OTD? Don't think so.

I think that's the intent, just worded a bit confusingly

Reactions: Corndart
At today's prices? It all depends. I ordered in May and might get it in December. In the morning I'm excited about the car, later on when I'm tired, I'm ready to forget the whole thing. It IS too much money, but what price do we put on a fun driving experience? The FSD tech that improves constantly? Little things like the view of real-time traffic around the car, big wide front window and full glass ceiling... dog mode... and of course the charging network. The one thing the MY is missing is ventilated seats, for me.

I'm in my 60s's and have many friends in their 70s-80s. I love my Audi A4, but the seat already feels too low. I want a sporty car and an SUV, and the MY ticks those boxes. I hope FSD helps with night driving. I've read about all the other options and the EV6 and Mach E are the closest for me. If I wanted a luxurious interior, I'd get that Mercedes.

I keep reading that Tesla's gaining a lot of efficiency in manufacturing, lowering the cost of making the vehicles. When the other brands catch up with Tesla's features, the prices will have to go down. But while the MY is the most popular vehicle, good luck on that.

My local news in the Bay Area had a piece this morning on people complaining about very long trip durations because of charging delays. That was interesting.

At today's prices? It all depends. I ordered in May and might get it in December. In the morning I'm excited about the car, later on when I'm tired, I'm ready to forget the whole thing. It IS too much money, but what price do we put on a fun driving experience? The FSD tech that improves constantly? Little things like the view of real-time traffic around the car, big wide front window and full glass ceiling... dog mode... and of course the charging network. The one thing the MY is missing is ventilated seats, for me.

I'm in my 60s's and have many friends in their 70s-80s. I love my Audi A4, but the seat already feels too low. I want a sporty car and an SUV, and the MY ticks those boxes. I hope FSD helps with night driving. I've read about all the other options and the EV6 and Mach E are the closest for me. If I wanted a luxurious interior, I'd get that Mercedes.

I keep reading that Tesla's gaining a lot of efficiency in manufacturing, lowering the cost of making the vehicles. When the other brands catch up with Tesla's features, the prices will have to go down. But while the MY is the most popular vehicle, good luck on that.

My local news in the Bay Area had a piece this morning on people complaining about very long trip durations because of charging delays. That was interesting.
when was the last time TV News shows had a positive message.
If it burns or it bleeds, it leads.

I hope price comes down for Tesla and competition to get more people in EVs.

Curious to see how Tesla adjusts pricing and/or the product mix as supply hopefully maintains its rapid ramp up.
so far there's little evidence in North America that supply is even filling demand, let alone exceeding demand.
otherwise lead times would be coming down quickly, which they're not. for any vendor, let alone Tesla.
in addition, new tax rebates kick in starting January 1. another demand kicker.

prices won't come down for a while.
there won't be a low end "Model 2" for quite a while in NA, but maybe China in another 18 months to deal with China state-owned competition.
But China is different than other markets.
and why sell a cheap car with limited profitability when you're production limited and continuing to fund new factories in new markets.

Agreed on the seating position. I'm not quite your age but its the primary reason I went with a Y over a 3. The headroom also makes the cabin just feel better for lack of any better word.

Ventilated seats - you can check out Katzkin, they sell full leather replacements and have perforated AND ventilation available for Tesla last I checked. Aftermarket Heated and Cooled Seats | Ventilated Seats | Katzkin DegreeZ

re: charging delays - If I were unable to install an L2 wall connector and charge at home, I would not buy any full BEV.

Reactions: dachshund
so far there's little evidence in North America that supply is even filling demand, let alone exceeding demand.
otherwise lead times would be coming down quickly, which they're not. for any vendor, let alone Tesla.
in addition, new tax rebates kick in starting January 1. another demand kicker.

EV demand isn't infinite. See the dozen ID.4s sitting at my VW dealer's lot and the same with Polestar (who have called me twice in the last week and sent multiple e-mails). As for tax credits... most EV makers think their cars will only be eligible for half (the battery component portion).

Also wait times for Ys are sub 3 months and for the 3 RWD it is 1-2 months. Back in late 2021 the wait times were 6-8 months.

Back in late 2020.. Tesla offered free 1 year supercharging I met numerous Y owners in 2021 with that freebie and I suspect Tesla would do something similar instead of dropping prices.

EV demand isn't infinite. See the dozen ID.4s sitting at my VW dealer's lot and the same with Polestar (who have called me twice in the last week and sent multiple e-mails). As for tax credits... most EV makers think their cars will only be eligible for half (the battery component portion).

Also wait times for Ys are sub 3 months and for the 3 RWD it is 1-2 months. Back in late 2021 the wait times were 6-8 months.

Back in late 2020.. Tesla offered free 1 year supercharging I met numerous Y owners in 2021 with that freebie and I suspect Tesla would do something similar instead of dropping prices.
Yah, with all of the addon options that are software base, they can throw in a bunch of things versus lowering prices. Pretty sure the prices in the US is here to stay. You mentioned, free supercharging, they can also do something with free FSD, free wheel upgrades or free color upgrades, etc.

It depends where you live i guess. US has much lower prices compared to EU and Sweden more specifically.
Here to get something like MYP i would pay like 20k USD at the least for the same performance.....something like Audi/BMW
German cars start at the same cost but adding accessory which ofc you want will increase the cost by a ton. I hate that model. Like pay for various storage, lights, and 1000 different things.
So MYP is still the king in my view. I have looked but can't find anything that is better here atleast. Plus Tesla with the charger network is a huge benefit also.

Status
Not open for further replies.