Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a lot more confidence in this congress than I do. Refinement or not, it still needs to pass the house and senate. And I don’t see any Republican sponsors of the bill, not a good sign for bipartisanship. I don’t think EVs or “green energy” are very popular on one side of the aisle, and this one would give money to foreign automakers, another negative. But you’re right, Manchin’s vote probably won’t matter because it would get filibustered first.
my primary "confidence" in this Congress is that they will vote to keep their jobs.
Given the broad expectations promoted by the Media and Dems of green initiatives, and tax rebates in particular, failure to enact them will result in massive turnover come 2024.

What world do you guys live in? Name the number of streaming audio apps that are natively supported by Tesla's UI. (I'll help it's 5.. One, Two, Three, Four, Five.. that number.. Five) Then go and name the number of streaming audio apps supported by CarPlay. (its over 100.. One Hundred!).

Outside of Spotify, Tune-in, Slacker Radio, Tidal and Caraoke.. any other streaming audio in a Tesla must be streamed AND controlled via a Bluetooth-connected device. Surely you realize people also listen to streaming audio sources like SiriusXM, Pandora, Apple Music, Youtube Music, Google Music, Amazon Music, Audible, iHeart Radio, Podcasts, ESPN radio, FOX sports radio, CNN, MSNBC, FOXNEWS, CNBC, NBA, NFL, NHL, talk radio, international radio stations, college textbooks, entertaining novels, etc, and plenty of other streaming audio sources. And that's before I get to the other dedicated meeting apps like MS Teams & Zoom for attending work conference calls. Or that I simply never want to pay $20 every month ($10 to Spotify + $10 to Tesla) for their "premium" plans.. when CarPlay gives me all these apps in BETTER quality & presentation.. and its all FREE to use on the 5G connection I already have on my smartphone.

Let me repeat that again. CarPlay streams DIRECTLY from my device.. in the HIGHEST audio qualify possible.. and uses the FASTER 5G/LTE connection on phone. The on-screen colorful interface & on-screen controls are BETTER.. the QUALITY of the actual audio is better.. the apps are more RESPONSIVE.. all apps get UPDATED much more often.. and all apps are absolutely more RELIABLE to use (how many times has Tesla's Spotify crashed or frozen on you.. lets be honest lol).

Do I even need to mention that I'd much rather prefer to use Waze for Navigation as it will alert me to cops, speed cameras, hazards, weather, and road debris ON THE SCREEN.. or that Google Maps has the best POI & information of locations.. or that Apple Maps has the best voice, map layout & lane guidance (its the only one that feels like a real person is giving me directions.. plus it provides additional prompts on my Apple Watch guaranteeing I will never miss an exit).

Siri integration allows me to do anything from making phone calls completely hands-free.. to sending/replying to messages and even controlling other devices like my home automation or garage door opener.

Im sorry but in no freaking world is Tesla's infotainment in the same conversation. Its a freaking joke lol! It amazes me, anybody who claims to have experience with both CarPlay and Tesla's in-car infotainment.. actually prefers the Tesla solution. For the most part, my Tesla solution excels at being this huge black & white map that is only useful for basic navigation, Supercharger locations, and battery information on routing. Unless Im driving more than 200 miles in a single day.. I don't even give a damn where Superchargers are located. And I have the standard range Model Y. The people that have the long-range should be less concerned with Superchargers than me.
" Its a freaking joke lol! It amazes me, anybody who claims to have experience with both CarPlay and Tesla's in-car infotainment.. actually prefers the Tesla solution.'

Raises hand....my wife had CarPlay capability on her 2021 Audi Q7 (which is now a Model Y) and it was the biggest POS I've ever used. Ran outside of Audi system, small mapping, just crap. Tesla's simple approach works for me (although I do agree that their USB music approach should be better).

Now, I'm old school and use a 15K song list on a USB stick along with Tidal to solve my music needs. However, I also have Sirius on my Model X and use bluetooth on my wife's Y when I need it (to get access to all the channels you mention in your post).

FWIW: I prefer Tesla's closed system versus opening up to 3rd party SW (which of course creates security challenges too)

Well, thanks for sharing your opinion. I’m a tech-forward millennial that used CarPlay for years, buy and love all the latest tech, and have a career in tech, yet I much prefer the native Tesla experience to CarPlay. I pay the $10/month for premium connectivity and I don’t care because it’s worth it. Extremely fast, fully detailed satellite maps with live traffic that fill up most of the 15” screen are better than any mapping app I used with CarPlay. Ive lived in 3 major cities (Dallas, Miami, Boston) while I’ve owned this car, and driven across the country between all 3, and I am blown away by how good the navigation and UI is. It’s been extremely accurate for me in these metro areas, and I leave it on the satellite maps which show fully detailed images from google maps. I never liked Waze, I find the UI dorky and distracting. I don’t want or need 37 streaming apps built into my car. I use Apple Music and Apple Podcasts, neither are natively supported. My phone connects instantly, I start an album, playlist, or podcast as I enter the car, throw it on the wireless charger, and I’m good to go. The UI does allow you to pull up playlists on screen once the phone is connected, shows album art, etc. I’d prefer it fully native, but I don’t have a problem with this. I also have Spotify in the car, which I do use natively, and it doesn’t freeze for me. I personally have no desire to use any other streaming apps in the car. I can do calls/texts hands free in my Tesla. Can you not?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and we all like different things. For me, the Tesla infotainment system is better than anything else I’ve used in any other vehicle. If I end up buying something other than a Tesla down the road, I feel it’ll be the biggest thing I miss. I’d suggest paying the $9.99 for premium connectivity however, otherwise you’re not getting an internet connected, rich experience.

There are things I would like from Tesla: Apple Music/Podcasts native integration and the ability to use the Apple Watch as an officially supported key would be nice. No desire for CarPlay. It sounds like you prefer your car to be fully connected to every aspect of your life and I personally don’t have a desire/need for that. I wouldn’t even want it. I get that having the option would be great for some and this is just my personal opinion.
I agree on using the iPhone as a bluetooth device and between Siri and voice controls, I really have no need for any of the features that CarPlay provides. I have that in another car and frankly i prefer my phone experience in my Tesla over my other vehicle with CarPlay. Devotion to on screen Waze is really the only thing I see that might be compelling with adding CarPlay over interacting with just a bluetooth connected iPhone.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gy2020 and X Fan
my primary "confidence" in this Congress is that they will vote to keep their jobs.
Given the broad expectations promoted by the Media and Dems of green initiatives, and tax rebates in particular, failure to enact them will result in massive turnover come 2024.
Democrats aren't going to have the house after tonight and the Senate is 50/50. Green energy initiatives will definitely be on hold for two years and we will fall further behind Europe and Asia in that regard.

I just saw your signature regarding your everchanging EDD. If this doesn't show proof on the randomness of it all, I don't know what will, lol.
Let’s be precise here, variability and randomness are two very different things. I can guarantee there is NOTHING random about their delivery process. Just because you don’t understand the algorithm, doesn’t mean there is none. Like others have said, the rules definitely favor higher profit margin deliveries over lower. I just saw an interesting piece of information last night on Electrified YouTube channel. I did not know that Austin had not produced any white interior vehicles up until a few weeks ago. Since I am on the east coast, trucking is far more expensive from California and I bought at a lower cost early in the year, it is likely we were prioritized to be produced out of the Austin plant to maximize profit. White interior production capability out of Austin may have also played a part in delaying the order fulfillment.

Anyway, my original post was to say that there is no way IMHO any order placed today for a standard MYLR will come in December.

Pl
What?

Where are moderators. How do I report this guy?
Please tell me what this actually says. Sorry you took this personally, but you clearly misread the title of the poll.

Kind of interesting response to the start of your previous post worded “Maybe you missed the title of this thread.”where you then clearly proceeded to misrepresent the title of the thread.

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?​

• Yes​

Votes: 21475.4%
  • No​

Votes: 70

Last edited:
Daekwan, I actually have to apologize to you as I am the one who misread the title of the post. I did not notice the title of the post and the title of the Poll were not in sync and actually mean two different things. Report me if you like as I am leaving everything as is. If you would like me to edit the post, just let me know.

Daekwan, I actually have to apologize to you as I am the one who misread the title of the post. I did not notice the title of the post and the title of the Poll were not in sync and actually mean two different things. Report me if you like as I am leaving everything as is. If you would like me to edit the post, just let me know.
It's cool dude. I don't take any of these things that seriously. I do imagine the mods will come around and clean up these posts.

At the end of the day I love my Model Y. And Im sure you do too. I cant imagine myself driving anything else but a Model Y right now. I just don't want to pay $70K for another one.. even if its the MYP. I think the Model Y is more like a $50K vehicle and would very much appreciate it if future pricing returns to $50K sooner or later.

Definitely overpriced right now. Again, I can assure you I did not mean anything personally, but can clearly see how you could of taken that way, which is why I apologized straight away before I even noticed I was the one who misread. No worries. If you read my other posts you will see I am still waiting for mine, so slightly frustrated by the musical delivery dates.

Reactions: KRG21 and Daekwan
My VIN for my MY should be arriving any day now and I'm still on the fence about what to do. I currently drive a gas guzzler 2020 Tundra and Alaska gas prices are extremely high right now ($5/gallon).....I also have access to a work truck so doing truck things is still doable.

I ordered in March of this year so I was able to lock in a lower price pre the most recent price increase(s), however, being that I live in Alaska and have to pay $2,500 additionally for delivery (on top of the $1,200 destination + doc fee), my lower price is nearly what a current one in the lower 48 would cost.

Although my Tundra is paid off and I'd be rolling the entire sale of it into the MY.....my ROI would still be many years from now so it really comes down to wanting a MY for what is seemingly a lot of money, or not and keep my gas guzzler that his paid off.

My VIN for my MY should be arriving any day now and I'm still on the fence about what to do. I currently drive a gas guzzler 2020 Tundra and Alaska gas prices are extremely high right now ($5/gallon).....I also have access to a work truck so doing truck things is still doable.

I ordered in March of this year so I was able to lock in a lower price pre the most recent price increase(s), however, being that I live in Alaska and have to pay $2,500 additionally for delivery (on top of the $1,200 destination + doc fee), my lower price is nearly what a current one in the lower 48 would cost.

Although my Tundra is paid off and I'd be rolling the entire sale of it into the MY.....my ROI would still be many years from now so it really comes down to wanting a MY for what is seemingly a lot of money, or not and keep my gas guzzler that his paid off.
That's a personal decision. How much do you want an MY? Also, how unsatisfied are you with your current (2020 is rather new) paid off car and having to pay that much to fill it up? If you are not getting enjoyment from your perfectly newish and paid off Tundra, then you have part of the answer.

Glad this thread is already here. Took delivery of a MYSR from Austin around JUNE2022, and mostly happy with it. Took delivery as a place holder for our MYLR7 with a constantly changing EDD.

The used car market bubble is popping right now. Six months ago i sold a $45k 2021 Highlander with 12k miles to Carvana for $45k. And this weekend I sold my $45k 2021 Sienna with 29k miles to Echo Park for $48k.

I know cars are not an investment, and they lose value after driving off the lot, but if I get an estimated sell now price from one of these dealers for a MYLR it ball parks to about $50k.

So, yeah I think Teslas are overpriced right now given that my pending reservation from MARCH for a MYLR still totals about $71k after TT&L. And that’s after two price increases since our original reservation. Makes me want to cancel and wait.

So I have a 2020 Model Y that I leased (only car mistake I have made) with a car cost of $55k... The same car today is $71k with less features. In my opinion the Y is no longer worth the money. At this price a lot of cars compete for the money! Do you think the MY LR is overpriced? If Yes or No, Why?
I think we'll see by the end of '22 Q4 if the buyers think the Y is overpriced. Given the increasing interest rates, plummeting trade-in prices and economy in recession, whether Tesla hike the price $17K or not, I expect buyers have cooled and Tesla will have to start backing out the price, changing around the options and configuration, offering a different vehicle (maybe with Plaid deletion of gear selector stalk, etc.)
I doubt Musk will allow the price of FSD to drop, but maybe he won't be increasing it for a long while.
I could see Tesla offering the 4680 structural Y with 250 miles' range +/- and maybe that trim level will have price incentive (say $10K below the Long Range with 2170s.)

I'm kinda surprised to hear so many folks opposed to CarPlay functionality. CarPlay support, like any other car, is optional in usage. Folks that love the native UI can continue to use it, while folks that love CarPlay have the option to use that instead. One doesnt impede the other. Seems like the best of both worlds.

People aren't opposed to Tesla having it but someone claimed earlier that having Carplay / Android Auto from an OEM made that OEM's infotainment superior vs. Tesla not having it. I think many would disagree and say that even with the OEM having Carplay / Android Auto, they would rather have just the Tesla Interface vs. the OEM solution with Carplay / Android Auto (especially if you think the Tesla solution is just better than Carplay).

People aren't opposed to Tesla having it but someone claimed earlier that having Carplay / Android Auto from an OEM made that OEM's infotainment superior vs. Tesla not having it. I think many would disagree and say that even with the OEM having Carplay / Android Auto, they would rather have just the Tesla Interface vs. the OEM solution with Carplay / Android Auto (especially if you think the Tesla solution is just better than Carplay).
I think it's just differences of opinions?

I like Tesla's native UI over alot of other vehicles, but I prefer some of the CP/AA apps over the native Tesla ones (not sure if someone has been making that argument lol.) There's advantages/disadvantages to both approaches so I can see importance varying from person to person.

Last edited:
So much worrying about price. Sheesh.

Just took delivery of MYLR a week ago. 2023.

The new suspension is fantastic. The ride is fantastic. Fremont build is great. No whistling sounds. No panel gaps. Saved a couple hundred bucks in gas already (socal).

I love this car. Worth every penny.

Stop the hand-wringing and worrying and go enjoy life.
It’s a $66,000 car. I think it’s ok that people discuss the merits in light of sharp price increases and an ever-widening field of non-Tesla EVs.

Out of curiosity, does your build have the Comfort Suspension, and what was your last vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.