Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y order - my VIN just got stolen [Update: Original car had defects so Tesla wouldn't deliver it]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure. Most would trade the car when they get their new car. He had to sell his to afford the deposit. That's different and not a wise decision.

He didn't sell his old car in order the afford the $100 deposit. He sold it to be able to put a significant down payment on the purchase. Perhaps he could buy the MY out of petty cash for all you know and is just complaining about the very poor customer experience he is having. In any case, I doubt he will be walking or riding a bike until Aug, and he won't even have to do a "go fund me" to bail his impoverished low class not worthy of a tesla ass out!

Only people who enjoy being cheated trade in cars rather than selling it themselves to a private party. Personally, that extra $5,000 getting ride of my old car myself vs trading in makes me wonder what your interpretation of the word "wise" is. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Keith

I wouldn't consider unwise that he sold his car because he got a VIN assigned, a call from his sales advisor and a delivery date within the week. All of that seems reasonable to sell his old car, especially if he doesn't have room in his garage/on his street to park an extra car... I would lose my mind if it happened to me and was left without a car for 8-10 weeks instead of a handful of days.

The financial aspect of it is different, and hard to judge. Hopefully it was a figure of speech and he didn't actually need that money to put money down for the car.

Sounds like when you ordered, it's pretty much the same price as in now (not like folks who bought earlier at the lower price). If that's the case, check tesla's site frequently and look at existing inventory, alot comes and goes, and you may luck out and get one sooner than later

Reactions: bet_america
Wow, the responses to the OP may have reached a new low, even for here…. @bet_america, unfortunately you don’t have much choice but to wait. Tesla does tend to full orders closer to the factory in CA as it gets close to end of quarter. They can fill more in CA than in VA… I think there are a couple of others here in the same boat. Hopefully you got a good price for your other car, considering what the used car market is like these days. And not everyone here is as insulting as some of the posts.

I never claimed to be rich. The order payment is $100. You shouldn't have to sell your car to afford that.
The $100 is due at the time of order, and the OP is at the moment ready to be assigned a VIN. How could the OP still talking about affording that $100?

I would genuinely think probably you missed your morning coffee when posting that comment, than making judgements on someone's status.

The $100 is due at the time of order, and the OP is at the moment ready to be assigned a VIN. How could the OP still talking about affording that $100?

I would genuinely think probably you missed your morning coffee when posting that comment, than making judgements on someone's status.
Selling your car before you have your new car and complaining about not having a car is insanity.

I know the life isn't fair, but I feel my mY just got stolen.
I had my VIN and delivery date (June 25-30/2021)
But I think Tesla gave this to somebody else, and changed mine to August-no VIN.
I already sold my current vehicle to get mY...
What should I do?
Guys ! thank you all for the comments and hopeful messages. (Not to others who unreasonably blamed me)

Sales advisor from Tysons Corner VA called me, and said the car didn't meet the expectation to get rid of.

I hope she is not lying, and I trust her...

Well,,, Still have to wait... I miss my baby (the VIN) lol

Reactions: Darblish
Guys ! thank you all for the comments and hopeful messages. (Not to others who unreasonably blamed me)

Sales advisor from Tysons Corner VA called me, and said the car didn't meet the expectation to get rid of.

I hope she is not lying, and I trust her...

Well,,, Still have to wait... I miss my baby (the VIN) lol
Will be interesting to see if that VIN pops up anywhere - maybe on the order tracking spreadsheet.....

Reactions: bet_america
Selling your car before you have your new car and complaining about not having a car is insanity.
No it's not. There are many reasons why you would sell ONCE YOU HAVE A CONFIRMED VIN and delivery date. No garage and hoa that only lets you have one car in the driveway? Have another car and it costs money to park on the street? Don't want to pay insurance for both vehicles? Don't want to take a loan and get a credit hit, and would rather pay cash but don't want to sell investment vehicles? Seems pretty smart to get your affairs in order before taking delivery and it's pretty shitty of Tesla to assign a vin and then take it away unless there was something crazy like the car was destroyed, but better communication should have happened instead of finding out by your EDD changing and VIN disappearing. I bet there are very few people on this forum who will deny that pre-delivery Tesla has problems and to imagine that they don't is just being wilfully ignorant. Are you new to the internet? It's normal for someone who is mad about something to go to a forum about that something to lodge a complaint.

That said, sometimes a little empathy is in order instead of just being a dick. Though, with the position you're taking, I do find it funny that your signature has "A promise is a promise" on it.

JMHO

Last edited:
I bet there are very few people on this forum who will deny that pre-delivery Tesla has problems and to imagine that they don't is just being wilfully ignorant.
This is the thing though, as you've stated almost everyone on this forum knows that until you actually receive your vehicle that Tesla can **** you. So, with that being common knowledge, why would someone sell their car before getting delivery? For me it has nothing to do with the lack of empathy towards the OP, as the situation does truly suck, but it has everything to do with the key point I've quoted from you. This is why I got an inventory vehicle instead of waiting for their timeline.

If you have to sell your current car to afford your down payment you're punching above your weight class. Cancel your order and get something more affordable.
Ask yourself what’s the purpose of your unkind comments serve? It seems to me it is unhelpful at best.

This is the thing though, as you've stated almost everyone on this forum knows that until you actually receive your vehicle that Tesla can **** you. So, with that being common knowledge, why would someone sell their car before getting delivery? For me it has nothing to do with the lack of empathy towards the OP, as the situation does truly suck, but it has everything to do with the key point I've quoted from you. This is why I got an inventory vehicle instead of waiting for their timeline.
Just because Telsa has issues doesn't mean OP knew that you'd lose your car once you have an assigned VIN.. I don't know OP, and don't really care. I don't see the point of tearing him down in a thread he created either versus just saying a simple "yeah that sucks, but your only choice is to wiat, it's just how Tesla works." I wish I could never say I didn't make an untimely bad decision. If I never did, I'd be a billionaire bitcoin magnate. Sometimes people just want to complain to other people who would understand and maybe hope someone has some advice for them.