Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read this entire thread, twice.

I’m going to order wheels and tires for MY LR. I wanted as much diameter and width as I could put without lifting the car.

I see 275/40’s on 21’s on front, no spacers, so the 40mm offset, is a fit. 295/40’s on 21’s rear—no issue. Taking into account the MYP is .6” lower than my MYLR…. I’m pretty sure if the 29-30” diameter is fitting a MYP, it’ll fit my MYLR.

The wheels I’m ordering I can specify offsets—so—looking for clarity and experience.

Given that steering knuckle proximity, I’m thinking of a +35 offset vs. +40 on the front, which should give me for sure clearance on that steering knuckle. Any downsides to that? (Guys running 285’s on 9.5’s with 40mm offset—so I’m thinking I’m good even with the 40mm offset?)

Also noticed, another member COULDN’T fit 275’s on front with the 10.5” rim on front. That’s the only “Fail” I’ve seen on the 275’s up front.
Also noticed, another member running 285’s square on 9.5’s… no problem. So, I’m guessing the steering knuckle is only an issue on a 10.5” rim with the +48mm offset.
And another member, without posting offsets, is running 275’s on 10” rims…no problems. But they didn’t post offsets.

I’m planning on 275/45-20’s on front. 32mm offset (or stock 40mm offset) on 9.5” rims up front. I’m looking for experience on this.
I’m planning on the 295/45-20’s on the rear. 40mm offset (or stock 48mm offset) on 10.5” rims in rear. Looking for experience of input on this.

This decision based on all I’ve collected in here so far. Those of you more active, or having sampled tire sizes—this is my final check before ordering…what am I missing?
I have seen multiple people running 295 in rear and 275 front.
Also Ive seen people AUTO-X with aftermarket wheels with square 285/35-20, then they have had 10.5" wheels and ET40 (so means tire is further from knuckle). But I cant guarantee it will work with any aftermarket setup, as I havent tried it my self. I do believe that if you want to buy new rims, you could also use 9" wide wheels and use a lower offset, maybe around ET30. But I cant guarantee fitment :)

So I'm trying to sift through the posts to determine the best route here. The Pirellis that came with my MYP are nearly nuked after 12K miles. I'll probably get 15K before they're toast. I do have a winter setup, but looking to get a bit more mileage out of a replacement tire, so leaning towards getting the Pilot A/S and calling it a day.

But... What is the consensus on stock rims and going up in tire width? Does a 275/35 F and 295/35 R fit, no rubbing? I'm on stock everything on the car. I don't want to deal with any issues, so if I'm just better off staying with the OEM sizes, I will gladly do that. Also seems like some are going with a 40-ratio tire? But wouldn't the speedo be off much more than a 35-ration in a 275/295 combo? And what are the sizes people are going with a 40-ratio and OEM rims? Thanks all.
I think it is pretty safe to do the 275 front and 295 rear with 35 profile.
If you do 40 profile you need max 265 as they say in front, but I cant guarantee it will fit. Then you will also be driving quicker than what the speedo says, so try to not get speeding tickets!

Tire sizes are also not always equal, for instance PS4S is a wider tire than many cheaper tires, even though the width specified by manufacturers seems the same. But I know the Pirellis and the Michelins have been tested with 275/295 on this forum. I also saw one guy do 305 in rear, but maybe keep the ratio between 255/275, so do 275/295 (20mm difference in thread width f/r), thinking so you keep the car at its stock ish handling.

So I'm trying to sift through the posts to determine the best route here. The Pirellis that came with my MYP are nearly nuked after 12K miles. I'll probably get 15K before they're toast. I do have a winter setup, but looking to get a bit more mileage out of a replacement tire, so leaning towards getting the Pilot A/S and calling it a day.

But... What is the consensus on stock rims and going up in tire width? Does a 275/35 F and 295/35 R fit, no rubbing? I'm on stock everything on the car. I don't want to deal with any issues, so if I'm just better off staying with the OEM sizes, I will gladly do that. Also seems like some are going with a 40-ratio tire? But wouldn't the speedo be off much more than a 35-ration in a 275/295 combo? And what are the sizes people are going with a 40-ratio and OEM rims? Thanks all.
285/295 35’s fit just perfect.
No issues, no rubbing….5” extra rubber all around Vs stock 255/275. No stretching.

Michelin AS4’s all around….The stock Perf all season.

A 285/35 will yield some speedo issues, vs a 275/35, no?
At 60 mp/h you will be doing 60.2 mp/h.
That is a very minimal change.

If you move the 275 rear tires up front and fit 295 rear, it will be almost same as speedo was before.
But the height/sidewall will increase a bit. Track width too. It will most likely take some few % of your energy consumption.
On the other hand you will get better curb protection and the car will look lower, since you have less air in your wheel arches.
The car will however have more ground clearance and will be a bit more cushioned on uneven surfaces.

Raurele, are you still running the higher aspect ratio? If so how many miles did you get out this set? Do you continue to see no rubbing? This information is really great, thanks for starting this thread.
Still running them. Sitting at 28k miles on them right now. Looking to get to 35-37 again. Best tires I’ve ever owned still.

There’s at lease two participants in this thread that are running 275/40-21’s in front on stock ubertine 21’s, the 295/40-21 in the rear is not issue…
There is mention of issue with the steering knuckle, but it seems that is isolated to the folks that are running a wider rim, or running the 10.5 rims square…. With factory offsets of the 10.5 ubertine being a problem for the steering knuckle.

I’m looking to try 20’s with 275/45’s up front. The right compromise of lower weight wheel, taller sidewall….
While I see others with success of the 275/40-21’s on the 9.5 Ubertines up front, I haven’t seen anyone doing it with 20’s and a 45 aspect ratio. But I’m pretty sure it’d fit as well. Width is seam, offset same, diameter the same….

FYI there's a thread here where the MY owner had oversize tires with aftermarket wheels and needed a new steering rack and Tesla would not pay for it, claiming it was caused by the larger & heavier aftermarket wheels and tires. So I'd worry about more than just tires rubbing.

FYI there's a thread here where the MY owner had oversize tires with aftermarket wheels and needed a new steering rack and Tesla would not pay for it, claiming it was caused by the larger & heavier aftermarket wheels and tires. So I'd worry about more than just tires rubbing.

Good link, thank you. No question there’s additional loads steering especially without moving forward. I relate to two perspectives in that thread…1. While it puts more load on the suspension and steering—I think Tesla should be challenged on that. But again, details on wheels, offsets etc. are left out. 2. Putting stock wheels back on—would be interesting to know if the same result would have occurred. 3. I’d expect the mechanism to be tougher than that. It’s mission critical steering mechanism.

What is the difference in efficiency and comfort between 275/35/21 x 295/35/21 and 265/40/21 x 285/40/21. Why would you choose one over the other. Been recently doing research.

Had my MYP a year with 20k miles and the ride is stiff and can feel every bump. The wife is constantly trying to get me to drive her Lexus on road trips.

What is the difference in efficiency and comfort between 275/35/21 x 295/35/21 and 265/40/21 x 285/40/21. Why would you choose one over the other. Been recently doing research.

Had my MYP a year with 20k miles and the ride is stiff and can feel every bump. The wife is constantly trying to get me to drive her Lexus on road trips.

Try dropping your tire pressure down to mid to upper 30's PSI. I dropped from 42 to 38 psi and notice an improvement. If you don't haul heavy loads, you should be able to do 36-38 psi. Elon suggested in 2018 that dropping tire pressure down to 39 psi was only a drop of 2% in range.

The reason for wider tires is less curb rash and a less vertical sidewall that flexes more, so softer ride.

Try dropping your tire pressure down to mid to upper 30's PSI. I dropped from 42 to 38 psi and notice an improvement. If you don't haul heavy loads, you should be able to do 36-38 psi. Elon suggested in 2018 that dropping tire pressure down to 39 psi was only a drop of 2% in range.

The reason for wider tires is less curb rash and a less vertical sidewall that flexes more, so softer ride.
Thanks for the advice. Lowered psi to 39 and I’ll try it for the next few days before dropping it again. Heaviest load I ever have is wife, 2 kids, and 1 family sized suitcase. No towing or bike racks.

Whenever these tires need replacing Ill get wider tires. 40 if they ever add the ability to change tire size.

Reactions: towndrunk