Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance vs. GV60...Drag!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to compare stats I combined test results for GV60 Performance and MYP from Car and Driver:
View attachment 856679
Acceleration numbers are very close. GV60 is faster bellow 30mph and Tesla is faster above 30-40mph.
Tesla has way better roadholding and braking results.
GV60 has softer, more comfortable but less sporty suspension.

I just looked at the MYLR tested by C&D. It is also quicker from 50-70 than the GV60 (2.0s). They don't say, but I'll be conservative and assume that's with acceleration boost in the MYLR since the 0-60 was 4.4s.

That also matches well with what DayTrippin found. The MYP is much quicker from a dig, but at speed the MYP and MYLR+AB are nearly equal

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
Exactly. It could have had only 20-30%. Purely laughable video. Why are they hiding the specifics?

Yes we don't know the percentage of each car but theoretically the genesis did 3 races in total so maybe the genesis at the end had a lower SOc we don't know.
Either way guys whatever the circumstances both cars are fast and have exactly the same performance I'm sure genesis took tesla model y performance as a benchmark.Both cars are good .

Reactions: bobbyjae
To add fuel to this conversation, here are my DRAGY results from my 2020 LA AWD Y with the Performance Boost Upgrade:
eUbuuMk.png

Yes we don't know the percentage of each car but theoretically the genesis did 3 races in total so maybe the genesis at the end had a lower SOc we don't know.
Either way guys whatever the circumstances both cars are fast and have exactly the same performance I'm sure genesis took tesla model y performance as a benchmark.Both cars are good .
This is starting to remind me of the 90’s…..what’s faster, Camaro or Mustang? Every vehicle has its advantages/disadvantages.

This is starting to remind me of the 90’s…..what’s faster, Camaro or Mustang? Every vehicle has its advantages/disadvantages.
Agree. We can bicker about rollout, battery state of charge, or a 2 msec head start by one of the cars but in the end the two are essentially equal. You’re rarely going to push the car that hard on the road and real world differences such as road conditions, tire temp, tread & type, etc are going to erase any differences.

The MY has been Tesla’s star - great performance and utility making it the ‘perfect’ family car, even if the price has been steadily increasing. The GV60 looks like quite a nice car and will be some serious competition for the MY. The Y has some advantages but the GV60 has several other features that the Y is lacking.

Reactions: Bf22
Soon most performance EVs will have the same instant torque so other features such as suspension, handling, interior, etc. will be even more important.

This isn't like ICE cars where only a few models in each class are fast.
Realistically, people don’t need the insane 0-60 times that Tesla keeps pushing. All EVs have great low end torque so driving around town is much more pleasurable, not to mention the smooth EV powertrain that ICE engines can’t hold a candle to.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Agree. We can bicker about rollout, battery state of charge, or a 2 msec head start by one of the cars but in the end the two are essentially equal. You’re rarely going to push the car that hard on the road and real world differences such as road conditions, tire temp, tread & type, etc are going to erase any differences.

The MY has been Tesla’s star - great performance and utility making it the ‘perfect’ family car, even if the price has been steadily increasing. The GV60 looks like quite a nice car and will be some serious competition for the MY. The Y has some advantages but the GV60 has several other features that the Y is lacking.
True and the reality is that first time EV buyers who plan on not being able to charge at home as much need to know what reality will bring them when they arrive at charging stations. Once SC’s open up to non Tesla vehicles that will help, but not solve the actual problem. To drive an EV, you have to charge an EV. I can build 100 EV’s and tell the consumer “Good luck on where you plan on charging it.” I prefer peace of mind I guess. If someone isn’t going to be on the road a ton….hey I commend them to buy whatever EV they feel fits their lifestyle including a Nissan Leaf, but my point isn’t to bash any manufacturer, but to educate someone who doesn’t plan on buying a Tesla and what my real world experience has shown.

How's the suspension and road noise? It's definitely fast enough for most people.
It was extremely quiet, almost no road noise at all, pretty incredible in that aspect.

Suspension to me was way too floaty for a "performance" vehicle. It was definitely tuned for comfort over sport. I imagine that these won't be doing very well on the track or skidpad.

Realistically, people don’t need the insane 0-60 times that Tesla keeps pushing. All EVs have great low end torque so driving around town is much more pleasurable, not to mention the smooth EV powertrain that ICE engines can’t hold a candle to.
Yeah I personally don't care about this beyond the point of just being quick enough to zip around, pass effectively, etc. 0-60 time is way down the list of things I focus on for a daily driver.

With EVs reaching such crazy speed and accelerations,
I wonder if the Police would be able to remotely
throttle down an EV to avoid dangerous pursuit on busy streets.
Or at least, be able to use GPS to localise a stollen car often used in this situation.

With EVs reaching such crazy speed and accelerations,
I wonder if the Police would be able to remotely
throttle down an EV to avoid dangerous pursuit on busy streets.
Or at least, be able to use GPS to localise a stollen car often used in this situation.
One can also envision roads having speed limit transmitters that cars would receive and self-limit their speed.

I can’t see that ever going anywhere in the U.S. This is ‘merica and it’s mah raght tuh speed if I want to! Several years ago when the federal government lifted the 55 mph speed limit cap on interstates you had a whole bunch of people saying ‘my car’s speedometer goes up to 150 mph. What’s the point of having a car that can go that fast if I can’t drive that fast?’ Uh…yeah. Hard to argue with that logic!

One can also envision roads having speed limit transmitters that cars would receive and self-limit their speed.

I can’t see that ever going anywhere in the U.S. This is ‘merica and it’s mah raght tuh speed if I want to! Several years ago when the federal government lifted the 55 mph speed limit cap on interstates you had a whole bunch of people saying ‘my car’s speedometer goes up to 150 mph. What’s the point of having a car that can go that fast if I can’t drive that fast?’ Uh…yeah. Hard to argue with that logic!
I disagree. In my case I could have lost my life a few times while in my Tesla to avoid distracted drivers. Thank god I have a vehicle as fast as the MYP as I was able to move fast enough to avoid disaster. Most cars would have been in a horrible car wreck in that same scenario.

True and the reality is that first time EV buyers who plan on not being able to charge at home as much need to know what reality will bring them when they arrive at charging stations.
How many EV buyers plan on charging at home vs not? (that’s not a rhetorical question, I honestly have no idea.) I know there are some people who live in apartments or houses with older, limited electrical service for whom home charging isn’t an option, but I don’t know what percentage that is. I also have practically no experience with non-Tesla charging stations and pretty scant experience with superchargers. (I know here in MN there’s a whole 1 Electrify America station) I’ve heard stories about poor EA reliability and availability but I have no idea how accurate they are.

The reality is a 30A circuit is plenty adequate for most people’s needs, and even a 20A circuit will do so most homeowners can charge at home without much difficulty.

I disagree. In my case I could have lost my life a few times while in my Tesla to avoid distracted drivers. Thank god I have a vehicle as fast as the MYP as I was able to move fast enough to avoid disaster. Most cars would have been in a horrible car wreck in that same scenario.
Disagree with which part of my post? If you’re arguing that you need a fast car to avoid other cars then I’ll say that that’s patently false. For every that occurs there are thousands of cases where excess speed causes an accident.

How many EV buyers plan on charging at home vs not? (that’s not a rhetorical question, I honestly have no idea.) I know there are some people who live in apartments or houses with older, limited electrical service for whom home charging isn’t an option, but I don’t know what percentage that is. I also have practically no experience with non-Tesla charging stations and pretty scant experience with superchargers. (I know here in MN there’s a whole 1 Electrify America station) I’ve heard stories about poor EA reliability and availability but I have no idea how accurate they are.

The reality is a 30A circuit is plenty adequate for most people’s needs, and even a 20A circuit will do so most homeowners can charge at home without much difficulty.
I only have a 6-20 Nema in my garage that charges overnight when needed. I use SC’s when traveling, but 70% of my charging is done for free by using an app called PlugShare to find a nearby free charging stations 2 miles and another one 7 miles away that is located within a garage covered shopping mall.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I only have a 6-20 Nema in my garage that charges overnight when needed. I use SC’s when traveling, but 70% of my charging is done for free by using an app called PlugShare to find a nearby free charging stations 2 miles and another one 7 miles away that is located within a garage covered shopping mall.
When I charge at free PlugShare locations here’s what I use to go back home while the MYP is charging away. This little beast goes 35mph with a 50 mile range.

Reactions: EL CapiTRAN