Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y range question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range question model y

Hello everyone!

I have a 2023 Model Y LR. At 100% charge the range shows 279 miles.

I was curious about battery degradation so I’ve followed instructions and let the car perform the battery test. Checked the next day and results came in at 99% battery health which is great, but at 100% it still shows 279.

Does the battery health test also perform a recalibration for BMR or is that a separate exercise that needs to be done? I generally try to not worry about miles and have it show % instead but still a bit bothers me why it only shows 279 if batter health is 99%

(Side note I only charge to 100% for the sake of this testing i don’t do that regularly)

Thank you!

You are right it’s apparently not long range but model y all wheel drive which is this weird variant I never knew existed….
Condolences on having the worst vehicle Tesla has ever produced.

That thing is a prime example of what happens when a company riding high fails to execute for several years in a row.

Hopefully they’ll turn it around; Porsche is running laps around them at the moment.

Charge speed is key.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jschoef
Range question model y

Hello everyone!

I have a 2023 Model Y LR. At 100% charge the range shows 279 miles.

I was curious about battery degradation so I’ve followed instructions and let the car perform the battery test. Checked the next day and results came in at 99% battery health which is great, but at 100% it still shows 279.

Does the battery health test also perform a recalibration for BMR or is that a separate exercise that needs to be done? I generally try to not worry about miles and have it show % instead but still a bit bothers me why it only shows 279 if batter health is 99%

(Side note I only charge to 100% for the sake of this testing i don’t do that regularly)

Thank you!

Condolences on having the worst vehicle Tesla has ever produced.

That thing is a prime example of what happens when a company riding high fails to execute for several years in a row.

Hopefully they’ll turn it around; Porsche is running laps around them at the moment.

Charge speed is key.

Being a bit rough on tabu don't you think?

Back when I was trying too decide which Y to buy , a new buyer really didn't have much info on the new AWD 4680's realities or the structural pack at that time.

I considered the AWD Y before deciding on a LR just to grow impatient with no VIN after 2 months... and switching the order to a Performance. The biggest difference was I got a VIN and delivery assigned almost instantly- funny how spending 4 k more speeds up delivery.

Glad to have the Performance Y. What other than the battery and charge rate is monumentally sub par compared to other Y's?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Nothing wrong with Model Y LR AWD or Model Y Performance. The battery and charge rate on the Model Y AWD 4680 is monumentally subpar. That's all.
Wow the early 4680's are really that bad? Have they prematurely aged in some way as well?

I knew it was a smaller KWH pack but not that they were super slow chargers. Did see some recent complaints on the new 3 as far as charge Rate on one of the variants that surprised Kyle Conner of Out of Spec.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Wow the early 4680's are really that bad? Have they prematurely aged in some way as well?

I knew it was a smaller KWH pack but not that they were super slow chargers. Did see some recent complaints on the new 3 as far as charge Rate on one of the variants that surprised Kyle Conner of Out of Spec.
They just charge terribly slow. You can look around at charging curves. Or look at the 10% challenge results from Out of Spec - can't hide any problems with that test. (Sometimes they do get results that are incorrect (non-optimal) for whatever reason, but don't think that is the case for the Model Y AWD.)

Fortunately the charge rate on Model 3 Highland with the new rebate-eligible Panasonic cells will be improved vs. what he was reviewing. The LG cells are pretty bad as well but not as terrible as the 4680. But those are gone now. That's likely what the complaint was.

4680 Gen 1 (Model Y AWD 4680 NOT LR) <= 4680 Gen 2 (CT) < LG (Model 3 Highland AWD pre-May 2024) < Panasonic 2170L (Model 3 Highland AWD post-May 2024) < Panasonic 2170C (2018-2020 Model 3 AWD/LR/SR+; the best, lower capacity than 2170L but charges faster).

Reactions: 455dan
Pretty expensive but I don't see how that's relevant. I don't think they're covering their battery failures by boosting the price.
That's a very relevant detail for the vast majority of people. I just looked at the 80k base Porsche Electric Macan. It's WAY slower than the performance Model Y and even slower than the AWD Y. Battery charge time isn't relevant for most people as they charge over night at home. Even on trips the super charger network doesn't take that long. It's not worth paying 30k+ extra for. That's for sure.

Reactions: Skavatar
That's a very relevant detail for the vast majority of people. I just looked at the 80k base Porsche Electric Macan. It's WAY slower than the performance Model Y and even slower than the AWD Y. Battery charge time isn't relevant for most people as they charge over night at home. Even on trips the super charger network doesn't take that long. It's not worth paying 30k+ extra for. That's for sure.
Yeah I want a Tesla that charges fast because they're cheap vehicles and it's going to be important to charge fast to remain competitive.

Fortunately the car I have charges fast enough, but there's not currently a Tesla that will beat it, except possibly the Model 3 Highland or maybe the Model S (which is also very fast especially if it actually had faster chargers available for it).

It's a little sad. It's been 6 years. I didn't think this would be the situation at this point. Waiting for a car that I can buy that's not going to make me wait on it on road trips.

If it doesn't happen I'll have to look elsewhere. Fortunately I'm on the 10-15 year refresh plan.

Yeah I want a Tesla that charges fast because they're cheap vehicles and it's going to be important to charge fast to remain competitive.

Fortunately the car I have charges fast enough, but there's not currently a Tesla that will beat it, except possibly the Model 3 Highland or maybe the Model S (which is also very fast especially if it actually had faster chargers available for it).

It's a little sad. It's been 6 years. I didn't think this would be the situation at this point. Waiting for a car that I can buy that's not going to make me wait on it on road trips.

If it doesn't happen I'll have to look elsewhere. Fortunately I'm on the 10-15 year refresh plan.
Well, there you go, if the Highland charges faster then that shows they are making improvements. This stuff will take time. Battery tech is really hard. I wonder what the charging rate was back for the first M3 as compared to the Highland.