Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Redesign?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

I am waiting to get the VIN for my MY and came across this video last night regarding Elon's comments in Berlin. Looks like he is looking at redesigning the Y already, at least the insides. What does this mean for those like me waiting and for those that already got their MY?

Thanks!

Tesla is not “redesigning” the Y. At least not in the way you are implying.

There may be some manufacturing and assembly changes. Nothing WRT to the style of the vehicle is changing.

As for what it means to people like you who already have their Y; they aren’t going to reassemble your vehicle for you so it means nothing.
OP doesn’t have the MY yet. For those that do, they’ll be joining the many M3 early adopters that missed out on buying a cheaper, if not better M3 by waiting imo.

Hey folks,

I am waiting to get the VIN for my MY and came across this video last night regarding Elon's comments in Berlin. Looks like he is looking at redesigning the Y already, at least the insides. What does this mean for those like me waiting and for those that already got their MY?

Thanks!
Euro versions of US cars have a lot of differences so unless Tesla plans to build both US and Euro versions in Berlin it will be a while before any Euro features make it to the US.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Poor word choice. It's a manufacturing assembly process flow improvement. Consumer won't notice much. Less components, less sub assemblies, and less processes reduces the chance of errors and mistakes. Most of the change is reduce internal assembly costs to improve their margins.

The car will look the same on the outside, am thinking they will be making improvements to the manufacturing and assembly and maybe material used. Which would filter to Fremont or the new Texas factory. They don't have the resources to make a separate Model for the US and one for Europe, aside from things like lights, and any safety feature mandated by local regulations.

I have to agree with the others here, the redesign is probably just how they are making the car. Tesla wants to reduce the amount of pieces in their vehicles and make production simpler, faster, and less prone to error.

However that doesn't the Model Y won't change in the near future, and to answer your question about what happens to those who have already gotten their Tesla before the model (any model) gets redesigned, they will just have to deal with it just like with any other company. It sucks to finally have your vehicle delivered, just to find out that they are making some changes right around the corner, but that's a reality. If you want for the changes and then order your vehicle, they'll make more changes. A great example is to look at any other manufacturer such as ford; The F-150 dates back to the 50's and has been changed in some way or another every couple years.

One nice thing about what's coming up in hopefully the near future is that the biggest changes to vehicles could become software related from year to year. That's a big plus about going with Tesla for me, I don't really care if I get my Cybertruck and then learn that next year they're going to make the seat comfier. I do care if I got my Cybertruck and then learn that next year they will release a better full self driving software, but with Tesla, we would all get that whether we bought it last year or next year.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Consumer will not notice much about the new construction method. It will allow Tesla to make them quicker, with less cost, better consistency, fewer robots, fewer people and massivly less space on the production floor (this is the biggie).

Less wiring will be the same. Little benefit for the consumer, but great cost savings for the company and environment.