Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Reverse UFO Sound Change/Disable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont mind the sound too. but if its too loud it gets intrusive.

backing up from the parking lot in my 2019 Kona EV is way safer than with my MY, if you can understand when I say those US sensors will beep inside you cabin waaaay before you see anyone on the reverse camera. plenty of time to stop or change gear to scoot forward.

my coworker recently backed into another car using her 2022MY and got a small dent on the bumper. both cars were backing into each other at that time and must have masked each other's EV noise generators or the audible alert was too late to alert you to stop. So, even with a loud noise generator this things will still happen to our Teslas and other cars. I had similar experience while driving my Kona EV but i always hear the US warning allows me plenty of time to do corrective actions to avoid collision.

my coworker recently backed into another car using her 2022MY and got a small dent on the bumper. both cars were backing into each other at that time and must have masked each other's EV noise generators
You realize this is called a Pedestrian Warning System, right? Your coworker shouldn't be expecting to hear it from another vehicle backing up. She should maybe use her camera instead. :cool:

Reactions: zoomer0056
Stand behind any luxury ICE sedan these days, they literally make no sound. the PWS system for electric vehicles is totally idiotic, unless they're going to require it on all vehicles.
The regulation came about years ago when EV's were uncommon. There were accidents and a lot of scrutiny about emerging mass ev adoption and zero noise was very novel at that time.
For safety reasons, I really think the noise emitter is a good thing. Not just on ev's but any vehicle nowadays. However, even the most quiet ICE vehicle still has a noticable startup, and mechanical noises that ev's simply never have so the extra measure of a noise emitter is logical.

It may not make as much sense in wide-open USA but in dense areas with a lot of pedestrians, it is a good safety measure imo.

Agree but creeping through a parking lot, like Costco, with the HVAC and radio off scares the pants off some people who walk aimlessly in the road.
The forward sound is MUCH less annoying than the reverse sound though. I'm actually not totally against the reverse sound, it has a purpose, I just wish it could be temporarily disabled on a case-by-case basis or at least knock it down 10dB. I

'll bet if you measured the sound level of various cars, Tesla would be among the loudest, maybe next to a Corvette or something else with a large American V8. Most luxury cars, and hybrids for that matter are nearly silent in reverse.

I'd imagine Elon never hears it, I doubt anyone has to reverse with him in the car. He's likely picked up and dropped off in horseshoe-like driveways.

Reactions: David99 and 804son