Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Review by a Hater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my TLDR question is - what EV would you get if not a Tesla?
I definitely will stay with an EV. Eco worries aside, it's just a far superior way to propel a car.

Honestly I don't know. I like the look of the Polestars and the Volvo connection can't hurt. I find BMW EVs overpriced and ugly - from an. BMW fan. Ioniq 5 was pretty cool and you know it will be well made and have everything included. Someone will come good by the time I'm next ready - maybe Tesla will have grown up by then.

As I said, it ultimately came down to the SC network really you can't really rely on any other maker until that's sorted.

The ride is awful. Even with the 19s. I cannot for the life of me understand why this could be as they must have had all the time and engineers they needed to tune and calibrate dampers before setting the final spec.
100% This has been my pet peeve with the Y since I got mine in early 2021. Suspension tuning has had known solutions for ages. Add the engineering muscle at Tesla on top and you'd expect almost magic results. And we get this? huh? I am totally perplexed by this. Please don't say Tesla doesn't know how to set up a suspension, the 3 and S are very well balanced, light-years from the Y.

I feel like my Y has rock hard, ultra short travel springs with little damping so it bounces and sways all over the place. Like a 1960s Mini with the rubber suspension and shot dampers. I refuse to believe that Tesla designed it this way. The only answer I can come up with is that they got such a tremendous deal with a supplier on outside-of-specification springs or dampers that it was worth it forgo the intended design until they're through that contract. What do others think happened?

I have an LR and the range is disappointing, I cannot get remotely close to the 300+ miles and I'm no Senna. Even a solid 300 is far fetched. I hate being sold 'lab miles' is still legal.
I disagree with this. If WLTP is standard in Europe, everyone has to list the range as such or consumers would have no way of comparing range between models. The test cycle is what it is. Hey, as far as we know they're not taping the doors and pumping the tires to the brink of explosion like the ICE makers used to do.

Also, they have this on the website, Go Anywhere | Tesla where you can see how far the car will actually go. Maybe they should make that page more prominent and underline that WLTP is just a standard and not a measure of guaranteed range.

Last edited:
Reactions: GWord
After reading the OP's review twice, I have to say it's the only review I've seen posted here that is totally fair, and accurate, IMHO.

The suspension, even after upgrading to MPP Comfort Coils, is still just way too harsh over expansion cracks, uneven aged concrete. The MPP coilovers have tamed the unpredictable undulations and uncontrolled bobbing, but the "slap" remains, just a little less harsh. It still annoys me, and makes me think an aftermarket company like MPP, or UPP, or Ohlins, could sell a ton of softer suspensions.

Curiously, our 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid (50k miles) is similarly harsh, but the cabin is isolated with sound proofing and/or softer bushings that give the impression of a softer ride. I swear it isn't softer, the "slap" is just dampened by insulation. Of course, the Buick-like bobbing and weaving is more than the composed Tesla MY, and my wife prefers it.

(My daughter's 2017 Prius absolutely swallows road imperfections, but jeez louise, it undulates like crazy over some imperfections, almost goes airborne. Nauseating!)

100% This has been my pet peeve with the Y since I got mine in early 2021. Suspension tuning has had known solutions for ages. Add the engineering muscle at Tesla on top and you'd expect almost magic results. And we get this? huh? I am totally perplexed by this. Please don't say Tesla doesn't know how to set up a suspension, the 3 and S are very well balanced, light-years from the Y.

I feel like my Y has rock hard, ultra short travel springs with little damping so it bounces and sways all over the place. Like a 1960s Mini with the rubber suspension and shot dampers. I refuse to believe that Tesla designed it this way. The only answer I can come up with is that they got such a tremendous deal with a supplier on outside-of-specification springs or dampers that it was worth it forgo the intended design until they're through that contract. What do others think happened?
If you remember, Tesla originally developed the M3 with the idea of using the Raven air suspension along with the X and S.
They abandoned that but there remains areas in the 3 and Y where the air suspension would have gone.

I think Tesla's focus on speed of assembly and cost cutting trumped anything on quality of ride. I'm sure the supply chain problems helped seal the deal in these upgrades not happening the last several years. But mainly, i'm guessing the focus on production speed over all else is why these refinements were never done. BTW, that goes for a lot of things. "last mile" steps are simply skipped or scrimped.

Some suspension development is needed but at least on the '23, it sounds like it's better than before. Maybe they will eventually invest in better dampeners

If you remember, Tesla originally developed the M3 with the idea of using the Raven air suspension along with the X and S.
They abandoned that but there remains areas in the 3 and Y where the air suspension would have gone.

I think Tesla's focus on speed of assembly and cost cutting trumped anything on quality of ride. I'm sure the supply chain problems helped seal the deal in these upgrades not happening the last several years. But mainly, i'm guessing the focus on production speed over all else is why these refinements were never done. BTW, that goes for a lot of things. "last mile" steps are simply skipped or scrimped.

Some suspension development is needed but at least on the '23, it sounds like it's better than before. Maybe they will eventually invest in better dampeners
Yes, I remember the provisions for future air suspension. Are you saying Tesla shelved the 3/Y air suspension in order to increase speed of production? If so, I totally agree.

But. Now that they decided to only offer steel suspension, it would make even more sense to manufacture the car with it correctly specified, vs if steel was offered just in the base version.

I don't see how assembling out of spec steel springs and dampers could save any production time compared to assembling in-spec ditto, do you?

Last edited:
Yes, I remember the provisions for future air suspension. Are you saying Tesla shelved the 3/Y air suspension in order to increase speed of production? If so, I totally agree.

But. Now that they decided to only offer steel suspension it is actually even more perplexing it feels so uncalibrated, vs if steel was offered just in the base versions.

I don't see how assembling out of spec steel springs and dampers could save any production time compared to assembling in-spec ditto, do you?

They simply didn't put the R&D into fine tuning the suspension and ride quality. That takes time and money, even for legacy makers with established methodologies. Coils or air, doesn't matter. It takes development to fine tune.

There are a combination of factors here. Tesla undersizes the tires on rim width compared to everyone else. The sidewalls are stretched quite a bit.
Besides easily curbing, it affects ride quality. Maybe they feel it's more efficient for range.

Combined with lack of spring/shock ride R&D, that is where it's at.

Personally, I think coilovers are ... total overkill. I would spend the time finding appropriately valved shocks and go from there.
After the warranty expires, that's what I will do.

But, Teslas have a big aftermarket. I think many ideas for solutions are being sold, or will be.

Reactions: Ratch
I have a better solution for $25 and kinda nice having the usb in the glovebox out of the way.
klutchtech

If I were doing the console module, I would just go OEM Tesla and not deal with rebadged aliexpress stuff.
If your warranty is expired, you can try it but Tesla is pretty hardcore if you have anything non-stock installed.
Despite adding data to my console module, I also have a USB hub in the glovebox for the Tesla Sentry stick, and a stick with my music..

Is a data console module available from Tesla these days? When I upgraded my MYLR, I don't believe that part was available.

They simply didn't put the R&D into fine tuning the suspension and ride quality. That takes time and money, even for legacy makers with established methodologies. Coils or air, doesn't matter. It takes development to fine tune.

There are a combination of factors here. Tesla undersizes the tires on rim width compared to everyone else. The sidewalls are stretched quite a bit.
Besides easily curbing, it affects ride quality. Maybe they feel it's more efficient for range.

Combined with lack of spring/shock ride R&D, that is where it's at.

Personally, I think coilovers are ... total overkill. I would spend the time finding appropriately valved shocks and go from there.
After the warranty expires, that's what I will do.

But, Teslas have a big aftermarket. I think many ideas for solutions are being sold, or will be.
Exactly this. Component spec is one thing but time spent test driving and constant tweaking is where it’s at. Even the cheap brands take this part really seriously. Does like it’s just off the shelf stuff that ‘kinda’ fitted their brief. If it didn’t invalidate the warranty, I’d fit new dampers and springs TONIGHT.

(after someone has tested 😆)

Reactions: Daekwan
Despite adding data to my console module, I also have a USB hub in the glovebox for the Tesla Sentry stick, and a stick with my music..

Is a data console module available from Tesla these days? When I upgraded my MYLR, I don't believe that part was available.
seems like it and OEM is cheaper, so that tells you how much the knockoffs are making

• Informative
Reactions: B_E_V
We're on our second Tesla, and the buying experience (with no dealer/salesman/finance manager BS) is one of the best aspects of buying a Tesla. I don't need my hand held when I pick up my car - I generally know far more about the car than the advisor anyway, so I just want to get on the road. If you like being stroked and your time wasted by an insincere salesman/dealership, Tesla is definitely not for you.

We came from a long line of premium German cars. Neither my wife or I miss them (or their dealerships or shenanigans) AT ALL.

I've needed service attention twice on our Teslas (Nothing broke. One visit was for a recall, the other was installation of a Homelink module). In both instances, a Tesla mobile ranger did the work in my garage. Doesn't get any more convenient/better/nicer than that! Try getting that type of service from most competitive brands!

Our newest vehicle is also an EV, and though it does "traditional luxury" better than the Tesla, I have to say that I prefer the Tesla overall. It simply does most things better. Of course there are things about the new car that I'd like to have on the Tesla, but there are an equal or greater number of Tesla things that I'd like to have on the new car.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you said, except that I LOVED the buying experience. I guess it all depends on the service center though. For me there were no lines, no waiting, the Tesla app sent me messages telling me exactly what to do and I couldn't believe how easy the experience was.
The actual BUYING experience is great, no question. Simple choices, no BS, no strategizing - point and shoot. No walk to the finance manager so you can refuse paint protection, extended warranty, etc... Unfortunately trying to get questions answered is very hit and miss, as is getting any initial problems resolved after delivery. On the bright side I've had little to do with Tesla for almost 3 years now and that's a huge plus. And getting added features with software updates is great!

Last edited:
Various modern BMW 3s and MPVs etc some with Sport suspension some not. The Tesla takes forever to settle after a bump / pothole which suggests it’s underdamped. And too firmly sprung. Ride quality isn’t just about how harsh it if.
I think it has to do with having a giant battery below the car instead of having most of the weight distributed in the front like most ICE cars. I have felt this similar on a Kia Nero and an ID4, going over a bump feels like a wobbly boat at sea.

Reactions: Ratch
I think it has to do with having a giant battery below the car instead of having most of the weight distributed in the front like most ICE cars. I have felt this similar on a Kia Nero and an ID4, going over a bump feels like a wobbly boat at sea.

If anything, what you're feeling is the effects of an EV's extra weight compared to many ICEVs.

That said, our Model 3 Performance is "one and done" with bumps - no wallowing or extra/uncontrolled motion in the ride at all.

Our GV60Performance floats a bit, likely because it's both much heavier than the Model 3 (by nearly 800 lbs/20%) and because its air suspension is tuned softer.