Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof Falls Off on drive home from collection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not quite sure whether to be angry or bemused by your assertion that just because I bought a Tesla I am a fanboi nutter.

You’re falling into the trap of assuming that just because you’re obviously quite intelligent, you assume everyone else is stupid.

Give the “fanbois” some credit. It may well be simply that they value different things to you.

DOI: I have a Tesla and a ****ton of apple products. And I’m glad I do, they serve my purposes well and both companies have values I identify with.
And there it is "values I identify with". They are both just companies supplying a product. It's a remarkable feat of marketing to make people think they are something bigger than electronics firms selling products. I kind of get why people think they are more than that because they have been marketed superbly. But if you look at it objectively they are just products. No different to Samsung or IBM or VAG. Some flaws, some good features, nothing more. Yet some people get so evangelical about them as if they were something more

And there it is "values I identify with". They are both just companies supplying a product. It's a remarkable feat of marketing to make people think they are something bigger than electronics firms selling products. I kind of get why people think they are more than that because they have been marketed superbly. But if you look at it objectively they are just products. No different to Samsung or IBM or VAG. Some flaws, some good features, nothing more. Yet some people get so evangelical about them as if they were something more

Well, apple charge premium for their products.
Others are cheaper because their product is you and their business model is predicated on intrusion into your privacy.
No quite sure how much marketing there is in that.
Again, please give other people some credit.

DOI: I have a Tesla and a ****ton of apple products. And I’m glad I do, they serve my purposes well and both companies have values I identify with.

DOI: I am a SpaceX fanboy nutter. I wouldn't touch an Apple product with your non-pedal appendage. Owing to personal interactions with both Gates and Jobs, I run Chrome on my PCs but generally use a Chromebook.

I bought a Tesla because it's *sugar* hot technically, cool to look at and runs cheaper than ICE and DESPITE well-documented shortcomings.:)

As regards my views of mankind, refer to the graph shared passim ;)

PS I didn't use the word sugar. That'd be the admins protecting gentle souls from getting the vapours over a colloquial term for faeces.

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000 and rotor2k
Others are cheaper because their product is you and their business model is predicated on intrusion into your privacy.
Because people clearly fall for it, its cleverly marketed. This being a great example. You think apple are the only mobile phone with an interest on privacy. Its very clever the way apple make people think their features are unique to the iPhone. It just frustrates me because I have had so many mobile phone so can see them objectively.

Its the same with Tesla. People seem to think they are unique and special. They are not, they are a car company that produces electric vehicles. Same as Polestar, Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai, Honda, Kia, Ford, VAG

DOI: I am a SpaceX fanboy nutter. I wouldn't touch an Apple product with your non-pedal appendage. Owing to personal interactions with both Gates and Jobs, I run Chrome on my PCs but generally use a Chromebook.

I bought a Tesla because it's *sugar* hot technically, cool to look at and runs cheaper than ICE and DESPITE well-documented shortcomings.:)

As regards my views of mankind, refer to the graph shared passim ;)

PS I didn't use the word sugar. That'd be the admins protecting gentle souls from getting the vapours over a colloquial term for faeces.
Can we hear more about these personal interactions? :)

Because people clearly fall for it, its cleverly marketed. This being a great example. You think apple are the only mobile phone with an interest on privacy. Its very clever the way apple make people think their features are unique to the iPhone. It just frustrates me because I have had so many mobile phone so can see them objectively.

Its the same with Tesla. People seem to think they are unique and special. They are not, they are a car company that produces electric vehicles. Same as Polestar, Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai, Honda, Kia, Ford, VAG
I'm also old enough to have had lots of other phones. Clearly you and I disagree and won't persuade each other so I shall bow out of this particular thread :)

Reactions: M3noob
I would say this is likely fake news.
Occam's Razor.

To what end does this person benefit from posting this story?

I have read stories - admittedly rarely, thankfully - of people receiving cars with mismatched interiors (white and black) so its not beyond the realms of possibility that this could happen in Tesla land.

Apple charge a premium because they can and statistical research shows that the market is willing to bear those prices.

Premium brand pricing invariably doesn't have a great deal to do with the BOM for a given product. Ferraris don't cost hundreds of thousands because they have engines made of gold, they do because there is an exclusivity in pricing something like that. The complicated irony is that they wouldn't be worth as much as they are, if they didn't cost as much as they did.

I do not believe anyone can say with sincerity that the cost of an iPhone is justified in the cost of the parts or the ecosystem, IP, etc. Ultimately Apple prices it at the level they do because people are buying them at that level. They were the first to market with a £1k iPhone, and now that doesn't even seem like a big deal for flagship phones. They are particularly good at sensing consumer thresholds, which is no great surprise given Tim Cook's background.

I'm not saying that as any particular criticism of Apple, but it is arguably myopic and I'd argue dangerous to suggest that "other products are cheaper because your privacy is subsidising it". Apple have the luxury of grandstanding on privacy at this point because they are a $2tn company, but the reality is not necessary so cut and dried.

Reactions: M3noob
I'm not convinced that marketing really drives purchasing decisions that much for relatively expensive items, although clearly there are some who buy products simply because they are "reassuringly expensive". In the case of Tesla, they seem to have done very little direct marketing, instead they may have been using key "influencers" to highlight some of the more impressive features of the cars, and let those "influencers" spread the word via all forms of media. I don't think I've ever seen an advert here for Tesla, although every other car manufacturer seems to be having an advertising blitz with their EV models at the moment.

In my view, both Tesla and Apple products pretty much sell themselves. In the case of Tesla it's the performance, followed by the gadgets, that probably drives sales. In the case of Apple it seems to be the ease with which Apple stuff just does basic stuff, and the ease with which things can be very easily shared (within their ecosystem) that drives sales. My wife's been an Apple user for a few years now, and the main impact for me has been that I never have to sort out any technical issue for her. When she was running Windows, a week wouldn't go by without me having to sort something out, usually related to stuff like network printing or file sharing. Since she switched to Apple (she has an iPad, iPhone and iMac) it all just works seamlessly, with everything shared between all her devices without intervention. It even all seems to work seamlessly with our network printer, and the NAS, which is more than can be said for Windows, that sometimes just seems to lose sight of the NAS, for some unknown reason.

The only reason I bought an iPhone was really because of the many security briefings we'd had from the IT people at work about the ease with which any phone could be hacked. Although this also applied to iPhones, the chap that was responsible for pen testing stuff at work was adamant that of all the phones available, the iPhone was far and away the most secure (although not immune from some hacks). The worst were many Android phones, mainly because there was far less control over the security of Android apps, but also because Android shares so much data with Google all the time, and Google are a major target for hackers, just because they probably hold more personal data than any other company (although I suspect that Amazon must come close).

Reactions: ACarneiro
refuse to allow fair criticism of Tesla

The problem is that "fair" is subjective and a lot people don't see it as subjective. A lot of people think their "fair" is what everyone should think. That's a human trait that is unfortunately hard to beat and any successfull movement is going to have some followers that are more "fair" than others.

I peronally try to base my criticism on facts that are evidenced, in this particular case there are very very few of those.

Reactions: Adopado and M3noob

Elon definitely has a vision far bigger than just to selling cars. Cars are just a means to get there. I’m not sure I could say that about any other car firm...or any other company.

I love Tesla. I like their goals on energy.

I’m a shareholder but think they are currently over valued for current value (not future value) so sold half my shares. I think they have a promising future so kept the rest.

I’m am M3 owner that loves AP, SuCs, OTA Updates, API, range vs price. I don’t know another car manufacturer currently doing any of them. I really don’t like Tesla’s quality control & assurance.

Tesla is fairly unique but it’s not alone. My experience here is the community in the UK tends to embrace a balanced range of views and your happens to be towards one end of that range. The more the merrier.

Occam's Razor.

To what end does this person benefit from posting this story?

There is currently $20 BILLION in short-positions placed against teslas stock. There is a LOT of money to be made from any news event that causes investors to sell. Fake news about tesla is absolutely everywhere, and has been ever since the company shares became tradeable. I would not vaguely be surprised to find that stories like this have been deliberately fabricated.

There is currently $20 BILLION in short-positions placed against teslas stock. There is a LOT of money to be made from any news event that causes investors to sell. Fake news about tesla is absolutely everywhere, and has been ever since the company shares became tradeable. I would not vaguely be surprised to find that stories like this have been deliberately fabricated.
I don't really understand this but as an investor I'm genuinely curious...

If it's a setup is this orchestrated by potential investors that want the stock price to dip so that they can buy cheaper shares? Or is it that they want other auto makers stock value to rise? Or both?

If it's a setup is this orchestrated by potential investors that want the stock price to dip so that they can buy cheaper shares? Or is it that they want other auto makers stock value to rise? Or both?

A short basically 'borrows' shares and sells them with the view that when they come to hand them back, they can buy them back at a cheaper value then when they sold them. They hope to make a profit, but if share prices keep rising, well they have a bit of a problem so they need to talk the stock down. As a 'long' investor your risk is your investment, as a 'short' you risk is as high as the shares can go.

• Informative
Reactions: Medved_77