Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD now available. RWD+AWD now eligible for iZEV Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If HW4 is going be on the rwd my in the next month I’m very tempted cancel my org order..any one else thinking the same
Yeah I’m really not sure what to do, the upgraded cameras would improve Tesla vision as well as increase Tesla dash cam resolution. There should also be radar in the front bumper which will further assist with object detection for parking and autopilot performance in general

If HW4 is going be on the rwd my in the next month I’m very tempted cancel my org order..any one else thinking the same
This made me think as well but I decided to keep my existing order for the following reasons:
  • No timeline known on when the HW4 will be available on RWD from China. Could be next shipment or 6 months or 1 year.
  • HW3 is supposed to be enough and will still account for the majority of cars on the road for next few years (2 or 3?). So Tesla is incentive to continue improving for it in the short term.
  • I suspect that HW4 might be a regression for the first few months until Tesla recalibrate and fine tune their model with data from first users. Then it will improve upon HW3 but it may take some time (just a guess)
  • My order is a 4Y rent, so in 4 years I'm upgrading anyway.
  • I don't intend to purchase FSD (being a location) but really looking to a subscription service in Canada (hopefully). So the investment would be less impactful.
  • The Radar thing might a great addition though but will not be enough to justify me waiting an additional 2 months (or more)
Good day all

This made me think as well but I decided to keep my existing order for the following reasons:
  • No timeline known on when the HW4 will be available on RWD from China. Could be next shipment or 6 months or 1 year.
  • HW3 is supposed to be enough and will still account for the majority of cars on the road for next few years (2 or 3?). So Tesla is incentive to continue improving for it in the short term.
  • I suspect that HW4 might be a regression for the first few months until Tesla recalibrate and fine tune their model with data from first users. Then it will improve upon HW3 but it may take some time (just a guess)
  • My order is a 4Y rent, so in 4 years I'm upgrading anyway.
  • I don't intend to purchase FSD (being a location) but really looking to a subscription service in Canada (hopefully). So the investment would be less impactful.
  • The Radar thing might a great addition though but will not be enough to justify me waiting an additional 2 months (or more)
Good day all
I looked at the inbound hw4 model Y and they show NO radar being equipped
The Model S and X's with HW4 indicate radar equipped - something isn't adding up here

Also people are mentioning additional camera's etc with HW4, Do the S and X have these additional cameras?

I looked at the inbound hw4 model Y and they show NO radar being equipped
The Model S and X's with HW4 indicate radar equipped - something isn't adding up here

Also people are mentioning additional camera's etc with HW4, Do the S and X have these additional cameras?
Wow so either this is a mistake or they are further cost cuttin on the model Y. This makes HW4 not as appealing anymore. Also the HW4 computer has ports to support additional cameras but no actual cameras added. I’m fact there’s actually 1 less forward facing windshield camera in the front which has been replaced with a dummy. Looks like we might only see it on redesigned/refreshed models or what other people are referring to as HW 4.5.

Last edited:

Hopefully the timeline for implementation of HW4 for MIC Model Y is different than the timeline for removal of USS. There's a possibility where we don't see HW4 in RWD for quite the many months

For reference, there was close to a 6 month delay in removal of USS:
Fremont/Texas Model Y - October 2022
MIC Model Y - March 2023

Reactions: Esan na
Does that mean model Y is not eligible for rebates going forward?
The base model price is still eligible. That particular car has options: 20" wheels and tow package that bump the price. As long as the RWD base model stays under $60K base price (And I think the LR under $70K? I can't remember I may be off on the base price cap for the higher trims) they will remain eligible until the rules change.

Reactions: wcDrifter
The base model price is still eligible. That particular car has options: 20" wheels and tow package that bump the price. As long as the RWD base model stays under $60K base price (And I think the LR under $70K? I can't remember I may be off on the base price cap for the higher trims) they will remain eligible until the rules change.
Yes that’s correct 60-70k but as long as the base model qualifies any upgrades will still qualify.