Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Service Bulletins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn't a Tesla customer process for checking if your vehicle is affected by a service bulletin except by contacting the service department. Tesla service will apply any needed updates to your vehicle at the next service appointment. I.e. if your vehicle is not experiencing any HVAC issues, at the next service appointment Tesla may replace the pressure/temperature sensors in your vehicle depending on the VIN.

This is similar to the way other auto manufacturers handle engineering change notices. The dealership's service department is not required to apply an ECN change to the customer's vehicle unless the customer has experienced an issue that is addressed by the ECN for the vehicle. The dealer may be required to confirm the problem with the vehicle before applying the change.

Recall notices are handled under a different process. Recalls are either safety related or emissions related. For an EV you can bet that any recall will be safety related. Even then, manufacturers may not have to complete the necessary repairs quickly depending on the availability of needed parts. I.e., Takata air bags were used in millions of vehicles, were later recalled. In some cases it was years before the defective Takata air bags were replaced. Vehicles registered in states with high levels of humidity, coastal areas were made the priority for the Takata airbag replacement program.
@jcanoe - thank you for the full details (and sorry if that was in the other threads - might need to make that on the front page :) )

FYI, all TSBs are posted on the NHTSA site 2020 TESLA MODEL Y SUV AWD | NHTSA

You put in the model and year and go to the bottom to manufacturer communications then open each item up and go to associated docs to see the PDFs. This works for most any brand ( at least the last three I’ve owned)

Thanks for the response and link - but if I am understanding correctly that link (NHTSA) is for Recalls only. Again based on my understanding Recalls are different (or can be different) than that of a "Tesla Service Bulletin" - as TSB's can cover other items that are not classified as 'recalls' (but I could be wrong).

Thanks for the response and link - but if I am understanding correctly that link (NHTSA) is for Recalls only. Again based on my understanding Recalls are different (or can be different) than that of a "Tesla Service Bulletin" - as TSB's can cover other items that are not classified as 'recalls' (but I could be wrong).

That is why they said to look in the "Manufacturer Communications" section and not the "Recall" section on the NHTSA site.

That is why they said to look in the "Manufacturer Communications" section and not the "Recall" section on the NHTSA site.
Ah -- sorry. I am new to reading :)

I guess I am still not seeing what I 'want' -- in that the "Manufacturer Communications" section shows the TSB in general (for years 2020-2021) but not by VIN, and then when you open the NHTSA with a VIN it only shows Recall for a given VIN and not the TSB details for that VIN. Guessing there are none?

Sorry if I am still missing something -

Last edited:
I had mine in yesterday, June 2020 delivery, to rotate the tires, change the wiper blades, and check the brake fluid. They also replaced the pressure/temp sensors in the heat pump per the manufacturer's recommendation.

"NHTSA ID Number: 10190907

Manufacturer Communication Number: SB-21-18-002 R1

Summary

Certain Model 3 and Model Y vehicles may be equipped with refrigerant pressure/temperature (P/T) sensors in the heat pump that can fault over time."

I had mine in yesterday, June 2020 delivery, to rotate the tires, change the wiper blades, and check the brake fluid. They also replaced the pressure/temp sensors in the heat pump per the manufacturer's recommendation.

"NHTSA ID Number: 10190907

Manufacturer Communication Number: SB-21-18-002 R1

Summary

Certain Model 3 and Model Y vehicles may be equipped with refrigerant pressure/temperature (P/T) sensors in the heat pump that can fault over time."
When you set up your service did you have to specify everything you wanted done or did you put '1 year service'?

Reactions: JonMu
When you set up your service did you have to specify everything you wanted done or did you put '1 year service'?
I was specific, those items were recommended to me by the mobile service guy when he fixed a door squeak. He said it didn’t need realignment. I didn’t know about the pressure sensor until I dropped it off. I also asked that a small but annoying rattle in the far right of the dash be addressed. It’s episodic, and of course it was silent that day and they couldn’t reproduce it. I asked about the vinegar smell I occasionally find in the morning when I first get in, they said they recommended replacing the cabin filters and flushing something in the a/c system. I don’t recall specifically asking them to do it so I don’t think it was, but that was very last minute on a busy day so that’s on me for not adding to my request. Maybe mobile can do it, they didn’t know when the new biodefense filters would be available, I’ll probably wait for them.

Reactions: Velcade
I was specific, those items were recommended to me by the mobile service guy when he fixed a door squeak. He said it didn’t need realignment. I didn’t know about the pressure sensor until I dropped it off. I also asked that a small but annoying rattle in the far right of the dash be addressed. It’s episodic, and of course it was silent that day and they couldn’t reproduce it. I asked about the vinegar smell I occasionally find in the morning when I first get in, they said they recommended replacing the cabin filters and flushing something in the a/c system. I don’t recall specifically asking them to do it so I don’t think it was, but that was very last minute on a busy day so that’s on me for not adding to my request. Maybe mobile can do it, they didn’t know when the new biodefense filters would be available, I’ll probably wait for them.
Biodefense filters do not fit on our Y, they are a separate selectable filtration combined with the existing standard every day filter we all use. Biodefense is only active when selected and is meant for short periods when things are smelly/smokey outside. As of now, there is no refit for the Y yet but rumoured to be eventually available for those that would want this.

Reactions: tdeno and laservet
Biodefense filters do not fit on our Y, they are a separate selectable filtration combined with the existing standard every day filter we all use. Biodefense is only active when selected and is meant for short periods when things are smelly/smokey outside. As of now, there is no refit for the Y yet but rumoured to be eventually available for those that would want this.
Biodefense filtration is confusing us. Does it add the carbon filtration segment to the standard HEPA or is there more? How does it differ when you just set your HVAC to Recirculation for the times you are driving near dust or smoke?

Any real world reports on this out there? Thanks.

Biodefense filtration is confusing us. Does it add the carbon filtration segment to the standard HEPA or is there more? How does it differ when you just set your HVAC to Recirculation for the times you are driving near dust or smoke?

Any real world reports on this out there? Thanks.
I thought the biodefense filter only filters outside air. So if you switch to recirculating mode you aren't using it.

I thought the biodefense filter only filters outside air. So if you switch to recirculating mode you aren't using it.
Need a PFD Process Flow Diagram to confirm.
In most cases one can expect to see the fan blowing into the filter segment.
The fan inlet is connected to a diverter valve which the driver selects fresh are intake from in front of the windshield when open, OR inside the cabin (recirculate) when closed.
The thought here is to upgrade our MY to a better filter and get most or all benefits of the new biodefense. Thinking we can do this under the dash.

Need a PFD Process Flow Diagram to confirm.
In most cases one can expect to see the fan blowing into the filter segment.
The fan inlet is connected to a diverter valve which the driver selects fresh are intake from in front of the windshield when open, OR inside the cabin (recirculate) when closed.
The thought here is to upgrade our MY to a better filter and get most or all benefits of the new biodefense. Thinking we can do this under the dash.
No the biodefense is a separate filter that is under the frunk. At least in the S&X I thought the Y was similar.

My Aunt has a Model Y she picked up in March (not sure if it's 2020 or 2021). She just got this message on her screen. Does this have to do with the same recall? I'm not seeing any other posts about it so it doesn't seem to be a message sent out in mass. Anyone got this before?

Attachments

• uvnp8dR1.jpg
    uvnp8dR1.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 301
My Aunt has a Model Y she picked up in March (not sure if it's 2020 or 2021). She just got this message on her screen. Does this have to do with the same recall? I'm not seeing any other posts about it so it doesn't seem to be a message sent out in mass. Anyone got this before?
Yep, ya might as well have it done before the dead of winter. There are some sensors that need to be changed out.

Mine gave me a service required message with no other info. After a call to the SC I found out it was the HVAC pressure sensors. They are apparently doing it proactively now. It was very inconvenient but I took the car into the SC and left it with them for the days to have the work done.

My thinking is that it’s better to have a planned inconvenience than an unplanned inconvenience.