Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y....should I wait for 2024?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are set on getting the Model Y and wondering when the 2024 will come out? I would expect a change or two and I know that no one really knows what to expect, but when do they release info on the new models? For instance, so manufacturers show us the new models months before the new year. Any advice?

• Funny
Reactions: supergeek and GOVA
Tesla doesn't do model years like other car manufactures. They tend to updates. periodically, very hard to predict when. The changes tend to be incremental.

If you wait until 2024, then you will probably wait until 2025 because there will be changes, then you will wait until.....

If you need the car, buy it now.
100% This ------------^

Reactions: BobHinden and Olle
We are set on getting the Model Y and wondering when the 2024 will come out? I would expect a change or two and I know that no one really knows what to expect, but when do they release info on the new models? For instance, so manufacturers show us the new models months before the new year. Any advice?
Tesla announced and presented HW4 and now it's already arrived in S,X,Y.

If you want HW4 in Model 3, it is reasonable to delay the purchase until it comes with Model 3.

Tesla has not announced HW5 so it might not be wise for something that has not been leaked out as the next version.

Tesla doesn't do major changes specifically aimed at when they change the model year on the VIN.
For example, in the 2022-2023 changeover it happened around the 3rd week of October.
A couple weeks before the changeover Tesla introduced the "comfort suspension" so there are both 2022 and 2023 cars with that new suspension.
A week or so after the changeover Tesla removed the ultrasonic sensors from the cars so there are 2022 and 2023 cars with USS.

There are many other changes Tesla makes at random throughout the year so waiting for a specific year isn't important. Right now we just witnessed the new HW4 cameras show up on MY so there is now ~7 months worth of 2023 cars with HW3 and will be ~5 months worth of HW4 2023 cars when 2023 model year is over.

Tesla never releases info on updates. Even now they haven't said a thing officially about HW4 on MY.

If you read on forums about something changing (like the comfort suspension or USS removal or HW4) then by all means try to delay a month or two till it is confirmed both factories are producing all cars with that new feature (or feature removal in the case of USS, passenger lumbar and radar in the past). But otherwise, you should just order the car for when you want/need the car. There will always be something new Telsa adds at random and it almost never corresponds with a model year changeover.

Yes, you should wait right now. Maybe not until 2024 but with refresh of the M3 right around the corner we will soon see what the refreshed MY will bring and you might as well wait for that…pricing on existing inventory will likely drop further too.

Tesla doesn't do major changes specifically aimed at when they change the model year on the VIN.
For example, in the 2022-2023 changeover it happened around the 3rd week of October.
A couple weeks before the changeover Tesla introduced the "comfort suspension" so there are both 2022 and 2023 cars with that new suspension.
A week or so after the changeover Tesla removed the ultrasonic sensors from the cars so there are 2022 and 2023 cars with USS.

There are many other changes Tesla makes at random throughout the year so waiting for a specific year isn't important. Right now we just witnessed the new HW4 cameras show up on MY so there is now ~7 months worth of 2023 cars with HW3 and will be ~5 months worth of HW4 2023 cars when 2023 model year is over.

Tesla never releases info on updates. Even now they haven't said a thing officially about HW4 on MY.

If you read on forums about something changing (like the comfort suspension or USS removal or HW4) then by all means try to delay a month or two till it is confirmed both factories are producing all cars with that new feature (or feature removal in the case of USS, passenger lumbar and radar in the past). But otherwise, you should just order the car for when you want/need the car. There will always be something new Telsa adds at random and it almost never corresponds with a model year changeover.
"Right now we just witnessed the new HW4 cameras show up on MY" It looks like you are in BC. Are the new MY from China HW4 into Canada? Is that what you mean? Or are you talking about other factories?

Are the batteries in the 2023LR still the 2170 or did they switch over? Thinking of replacement of my 22MYP since the Model X has camber issues and not worth for me the extra hassle. Planning to get an ICE vehicle since my extended family like to take trips and the Y is just a tad too small for 5 people.

Are the batteries in the 2023LR still the 2170 or did they switch over? Thinking of replacement of my 22MYP since the Model X has camber issues and not worth for me the extra hassle. Planning to get an ICE vehicle since my extended family like to take trips and the Y is just a tad too small for 5 people.
2170 and very likely will be for many more years.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
refresh Y (juniper) is unlikely to come out in 2024. There hasnt been any leak or spy photos or anything remotely related to it. The highland did and it still was about a year since it released outside US and we are still waiting here. If we see the same thing happen here, MAYBE the refresh juniper Y comes out end of 24, maybe early 25, then the USA will have to wait few months after like how we are with highland 3.

Another thing to consider, model 3 is losing tax credit. That means highland wont get it. Which means the Y will be significantly cheaper IF tesla doesnt change pricing on the Y. I dont think they are that dumb to let that happen as it will hurt sales of highland once it hits USA. My guess is, with news hitting that 3 will lose tax credit, all standing inventory will start selling faster before end of the year. Once 24 hits, standing inventory 3s will either be reduced in price significantly especially if highland becomes available for order. And I'm going for a reach to say Tesla may raise Y prices. This way despite losing tax credits for the 3, model Y will be put in a pricing position to be more expensive even with tax credit, so people will still look at the highland

so basically, you need a car now, you better buy now

Reactions: SpicyPaneer