Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SR Y is an interesting niche. On one hand, if you only own 1 car and/or need it to go on longer road trips, a LR Tesla is the only real viable option with it's 300+mi range. If you're using it mostly as a city car but have a family and need the extra space, then you're less likely to use Tesla's biggest advantages, longer range and supercharging network.

The rational person would say, upgrade to a LR or buy something cheaper with more space like the Mach E or ID.4. I know people love the tech, performance, software updates, and even the Tesla brand but Idk if I would personally pay $7.5k-10k more than the competition for those things.

But nothing about the world seems especially rational these days so...

Oh really? Is that how federal tax credit works? Like solar?

so if I don’t owe anything I’ll get that money back?

The big question is if new tax credit for all car manufacturers (if it happens under Biden) will be retroactive.

We don` know that yet.

Now new buyers are going to think twice before buying Tesla with all incentives other car manufacturers are getting (up to $11k)

Reactions: everydaychris

No, if you had no tax liability, you don't get any money back (also if the amount is higher than your tax liability, the max you will get is your tax liability and not a penny more). It is a non-refundable credit.

However, that doesn't mean just because you don't have to pay taxes during tax season, that you won't get the credit. You have to factor in the taxes you already paid that were withheld from your paycheck or paid via estimated tax payment.

Plug In Electric Drive Vehicle Credit Section 30D | Internal Revenue Service
Hybrid and e-Car Tax Credits for 2020 Taxes in 2021 Model

I would have definitely bought this instead if it was available when I ordered my Model 3 SR+ back in October. There was a rumor in Inside EVs comment thread that said a sales rep said a Model Y SR would be coming at the start of this year, but I didn't really believe it much given there is no mention anywhere else. That turned out to be true.

from January 1st.

And yes, average consumer still think buying EV will save him money (gas).

10k of Rebate or credit is always welcome
That has more to do with the mechanics of implementing it. It's easier for IRS to do it by tax year (or at worse quarter), which might result in it applying to some cars before the law was in effect. However, I don't expect a true retroactive implementation beyond that.

Every tax situation is different. What you owe or don’t owe after doing your taxes is irrelevant. It only matters what your actual tax obligation is. If you had a 7500 dollar tax obligation and your employer withheld 7500 in taxes you owe nothing when filing your return and you would get no tax refund. If on the other hand you get a 7500 EV credit you will get a 7500 check. If in the same situation your employer withheld 8000.00 you would have received a 500.00 dollar refund. With the EV credit you would then get 8000. On the other hand if youre like me and don’t loan money to the government and owed 2000.00 after completing the return the EV credit would change that to a 5500 refund. The key is what you owed in taxes for the year. Withholdings have no effect on the credit.

The ID4 can be a very attractive car for some people.

From what I gather online, the lease with signing rolled in will cost around $475 per month. How, if at all, will various federal and state tax incentives work into it is still to be determined.

But, even without additional tax incentives, having 3 years of free DCFC (pretty much for the entire lease term) could equate to about $200/month savings for those that still need to drive to places during this time.

Honestly, if I was shopping for a car in that range, it would be a very attractive choice versus a std range plus model 3 and maybe the SR Y.

Very simple. The decision to build RWD SR is to push more cars. Offering a 40K model Y will get Tesla to reach 800K+ deliveries in 2021. Happy as a TSLA shareholder, sad as wanting a Model Y RWD LR[/QUOT
Yup.

RWD LR Y is the same number of cells needed, so no extra cars can be made, but less revenue and margin than AWD LR Y, so no reason for it to exist.

RWD SR Y uses less cells=can build more total cars=more total revenue
I didn't realize there was a battery shortage. Didn't think it was an issue in 2021.

The original incentive was not only for people to buy them but for manufacturers to make them without worrying about high cost of entry. Tesla doesn’t need that incentive anymore. I wouldn’t complain about my wife being able to get a MY instead of an ID.4 but if Teslas go back to having the tax credit available, other manufacturers wouldn’t be able to compete because their vehicles will likely be behind tech wise. Now that potential tax credit is leveling the playing field. If it is a $7500 better car then go for it.

The original incentive was not only for people to buy them but for manufacturers to make them without worrying about high cost of entry. Tesla doesn’t need that incentive anymore. I wouldn’t complain about my wife being able to get a MY instead of an ID.4 but if Teslas go back to having the tax credit available, other manufacturers wouldn’t be able to compete because their vehicles will likely be behind tech wise. Now that potential tax credit is leveling the playing field. If it is a $7500 better car then go for it.
Well, those objecting would say it's rewarding the makers that are dragging their feet (and come in later to reap the benefits of those that help built up the initial demand for batteries, and also the charging infrastructure).

If Tesla had announced this 6 months ago or so, I may have waited. I got my SR+ in late September. As much as I enjoy the car, the audio system is terrible. If you’re coming from a German car, be prepared to be disappointed with the audio. I wish Tesla would kinda tell us in advance about certain things like this.

The problem with the tax credit is you won't get it until you file your taxes. At purchase it is still a 42 thousand car. Unless you take that tax credit and apply it to the loan. Then refinance the car at a lower payment the payment stays the same through the life of the loan. They need to come up with a better way.

If Tesla had announced this 6 months ago or so, I may have waited. I got my SR+ in late September. As much as I enjoy the car, the audio system is terrible. If you’re coming from a German car, be prepared to be disappointed with the audio. I wish Tesla would kinda tell us in advance about certain things like this.

M3 SR+ audio is bad. Its not premium. MY SR will have premium audio.

I didn't realize there was a battery shortage. Didn't think it was an issue in 2021.

Tesla expects to remain battery limited in vehicle and energy production for years

it's why they're working on building so many factories and also still planning to expand how much they get from partners like Panasonic, LG, and CATL.

Other EV makers have the same issues, but to a far greater degree.... the Mach E is limited to 50,000 units first year because Ford can't get more batteries than that... Audi and others actually cut original production targets due to battery shortages...

Lack of battery will be the single biggest thing holding back mass EV adoption going forward- there simply won't be enough EVs to replace all the ICE cars, not for another decade or two.... Teslas 2030 estimate was 30 million total EVs made that year- 20 million of them by Tesla.

Leaving 50 million ICE vehicles still being built (based on current 80 mil a year production).

And lack of battery is why.