Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: Tesla Vision - no radar drive at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if anyone else experienced this, or maybe I am doing something wrong. (All of this is just using the curse setting only, set the speed and go, no autopilot steering). Last night I experienced phantom braking from oncoming lights from other cars on a two-way highway. Phantom braking when no one is around, just the great open desert. On top of that you must have auto beams on at all times to use the curse and autopilot steering. If you turn them off it drifts you. The issue I have with this it makes you look like one BIG prick, or its going to make you a victim of road rage. The auto beams would not turn off when a car is passing me, or it would act too late. Turning on less then 300ft of a vehicle in front of me, or on with less than 3 car lengths away. It was also flashing from high to low constantly, sometime even a fast toggle. I cannot compare to someone that has the ultrasonic radar, but this madness needs to stop. It is pretty much going to be a pedal driving at night until this is somehow fixed. My wife and I laughed about it a little at first, but it is not that funny. Anyway, any other with similar experiences, or things I could try to make the experience better?

This is such a huge problem.

Every few months of my Tesla ownership, I have tried the auto high beams to see if I could use them without random flashes and without aggravating other drivers. Every time, I’ve turned it off again within minutes.

Never mind FSD, this is going to make TACC useless at night until it’s fixed (by dramatically improving auto high beam performance, enabling the matrix headlights, or removing the requirement).

This is NOT good. We just came back from a road trip, and AP worked very well at night (without high beam). I think it worked even better than during the day time.
Is there a setting to turn off the auto beams for cruise / autopilot? On my model y no radar, it say that auto beams must be turned on to use it.

Last edited:
This is just pathetic. Road rage is very real, and people will go nuts who are being high-beamed. I'm in no way updating my current June 2020 build if they are going to abandon the radar capability in older builds until there is a solution. If they force me to, then I'll sue. They cannot force me to downgrade the safety of my car, and this new system is obviously not ready for everyday, real-world use.

I'm holding firm due to my professional experience is that the only fix is to add another sensor back into the equation. Vision alone will not work in compromised weather or lighting conditions (too bright or too dark) as a sensor-supported (radar or LiDAR) system. Tesla has real competition from Ford and VW now. They cannot make absurd moves like this any longer without consequences.

This is just pathetic. Road rage is very real, and people will go nuts who are being high-beamed. I'm in no way updating my current June 2020 build if they are going to abandon the radar capability in older builds until there is a solution. If they force me to, then I'll sue. They cannot force me to downgrade the safety of my car, and this new system is obviously not ready for everyday, real-world use.

I'm holding firm due to my professional experience is that the only fix is to add another sensor back into the equation. Vision alone will not work in compromised weather or lighting conditions (too bright or too dark) as a sensor-supported (radar or LiDAR) system. Tesla has real competition from Ford and VW now. They cannot make absurd moves like this any longer without consequences.
Sorry, I'm about to be that guy but Tesla has had competition long before this from other OEM's. They have similar systems but its just not as highly publicized to avoid any possible lawsuits because people are sue-happy. GM, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Subaru etc... all have a form of what is usually called Dynamic Cruise Control or Highway Drive-Assist which measures speed+distance and will keep the car centered in the lane. I don't know why Tesla decided to abandon the radar system because most of the industry uses that system but I'm sure their engineering team knows something that uses consumers don't or they wouldn't be leading the charge in electrification.

I just took delivery of my 2021 MY and havent tested AP at nighttime but I know its been working flawlessly in the daytime.

I took a friend's new Q2 MY out for a drive over the weekend and promptly put my MYP delivery on hold. Previously I had tried auto high beam on my M3 but quickly disabled it because I felt the constant on/off was very distracting and possibly dangerous. When I realized vision only AP required auto high beam I knew Tesla still have a lot of work to do it's not ready for primetime.

The constant on and off are very distracting and annoying to other drivers. Some factors can influence how well your car recognizes other cars and disable its own high beams. This happens during dawn or dusk when it's not completely dark but your lights (and high beams) are on if you're using AP. Also when you drive on divided roads where there's a very wide median (many roads between towns where you would normally use AP). The distance from your car to the other car's headlights are so far away making it more difficult for your car to sense other cars. Finally, in situations where cars are passing you from behind either to your left or right. You'll be blinding the passing drivers for a few seconds before the high beam are disabled.

With the concurrent lumbar adjustment deletion fiasco, I'm going to guess they are prematurely jumping to vision AP due to radar part shortage. So I'll wait a quarter or two to see how things pan out. Obviously I'm super disappointed I can't take delivery of my MYP I've been waiting since April. It's just sad to see how poorly Tesla is handling the whole situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam
Elon announced it on 5/25, with a 2 week update window. I’m hoping there is some news at the model S event. Either a significant software update, or a surprise to compensate me for taking an inferior car to the one I that ordered.

Also no radar.. Had phantom breaking with no other cars around on the I-40. I wish it would put on the display why it decided to break.

When this happens, hit the dash cam save so you can review all the footage later to try and figure out why it decided to brake.

Keith

PS: why is everyone using break (to break something in half) vs brake (to slow down)?

When this happens, hit the dash cam save so you can review all the footage later to try and figure out why it decided to brake.

Keith

PS: why is everyone using break (to break something in half) vs brake (to slow down)?
Yeah I do, but need to go back and review. And I used Break because I was half paying attention while swyping with my phone and didn't go back and correct the autocorrected words. Thankfully, you're a smart guy and knew what I was talking about even though I used the incorrect spelling.

• Funny
Reactions: radiantm3
Yeah I do, but need to go back and review. And I used Break because I was half paying attention while swyping with my phone and didn't go back and correct the autocorrected words. Thankfully, you're a smart guy and knew what I was talking about even though I used the incorrect spelling.

Not trying to be a dick, sorry if I came off that way. It seems like people are using break in several other threads and I wondered if it is a "thing" where people are making fun of the brakes not working correctly... eg the brakes are broken type of thing.