Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tow bar electrics not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was fixed on Saturday. Initially the harness was replaced, but it turned out the ECU was faulty. All done in the time they said. Great communication throughout.
Only problem is that I now can't change the PIN they set.
Re stuck PIN
Have you tried the 'forgotten PIN' link on the entry pad?
You have to enter your Tesla account credentials then you can put your own PIN back in again.

Re stuck PIN
Have you tried the 'forgotten PIN' link on the entry pad?
You have to enter your Tesla account credentials then you can put your own PIN back in again.
Turns out that the car was still in Service mode. Service centre has fixed it now.

Thing that worried me was that I tried entering my Tesla account credentials and it told me that my account wasn't linked to the car.

Being a software tester I'm pretty good at digging through apps to work out how they operate (documentation being a foreign concept in many software development teams) :p

Took deliveyr of my car end of May 2022, had the two bar fitted at Tesla 7 July 2022, have gone to use it today for the first time 3rd August 2023 and the electrics don't work. Trying to use my bike rack and there does not appear to be any power to the socket. From reading through this post I'm wondering if there ever was any power to the socket at all!

I'm alo wondering if the towbar etc was fitted at factory, as when I went for the install, it was completed very quickly. I did leave wondering if al they did was drive it into the workshop, then bring it out a short while later just with a case placed into the boot with the tow ball inside?

Have raised a service request. I'm fully expecting this to be completed under warranty, although I'm half expecting them to say that as it was installed just under 13 months ago, I'm going to have to pay. Wondering if my car like other early Y's is going to need a circuit board replacing.

... the electrics don't work. Trying to use my bike rack and there does not appear to be any power to the socket.

How did you test it? Does your bike rack has LED light bars?

A good way to test it is to use such tester, or the quivalent you may have in England:

519XDwSlSnL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

From reading through this post I'm wondering if there ever was any power to the socket at all!

The "12V" pin #4 might not be connected in the case of the new li-ion battery that Tesla now install.

Electrical Connections (Plug side) .jpg

Have raised a service request. I'm fully expecting this to be completed under warranty, although I'm half expecting them to say that as it was installed just under 13 months ago, I'm going to have to pay. Wondering if my car like other early Y's is going to need a circuit board replacing.

I would have thought it was pretty obvious if the necessary hardware was not present rather than a fault. So pretty straight forward for Tesla to know to just sort it. Also thought that warranty would have followed normal car warranty, so 4 years?

The harness has a pre-installed plug located above the rear bumper beam
to which the tow bar's plug get connected, see the image below.

model-3-tow-hitch-install-after-removing-bumper-cover-2-jpg.959548
It was a controller that was not being fitted. So a subtle omission. Rest of hardware and electrics present, just the controller that Tesla seemed not to be fitting - sounds like they were probably short of stock and retrofitted them for those not working quite a few months later. Seemed quite wide spread on one set of deliveries.

Surprised if Tesla didn’t go contacting the owners with missing controller as a matter of routine. But then they haven’t proactively contacted me regarding the rear wiring harness recall - only stumbled upon it after delving into main drivers app. So might be worth checking in service area of main owners app.

Took deliveyr of my car end of May 2022, had the two bar fitted at Tesla 7 July 2022, have gone to use it today for the first time 3rd August 2023 and the electrics don't work. Trying to use my bike rack and there does not appear to be any power to the socket. From reading through this post I'm wondering if there ever was any power to the socket at all!

I'm alo wondering if the towbar etc was fitted at factory, as when I went for the install, it was completed very quickly. I did leave wondering if al they did was drive it into the workshop, then bring it out a short while later just with a case placed into the boot with the tow ball inside?

It sounds like exactly the same issue unfortunately, my understanding is a batch of cars around June 2022 had a missing control module. Up until I think August/September the only option was fitting towbar after delivery, on mine this didn't take long, an hour or so (but does involve removing bumper, fitting bracket, wiring harness etc). The missing control module has the memory chip in it, according to the technician the towbar electrics tested okay initially, but lost its setting an hour or so later. Hopefully there is no big delay in getting the module now, I had to wait 5 months. This should all be covered by Tesla, I certainly wouldn't pay any extra.

As it was an accessories purchase post delivery I was wondering if they would only apply a twelve month warranty, but your right it should imho be 4 years. If they try to charge me I'll absolutely fight them on that.

It's not an Led bike rack board, I simply tested it by taking it off the Tesla and putting it on my auid and it worked immediately. Having read through this thread and others I quickly came to the conclusion that may car, being a may/June 22 car was one of those with the missing module and raised the service request.

It's a bit poor that Tesla haven't been in contact, they must have known which batch of cars need the module and of those cars which one's have had the tow bar added post delivery and would be in need of some further work.

I'm just glad it's a day out cycling that I've found the issue on and not the holiday I've got in three weeks time, if I'd found out the day before I'd be pretty annoyed.

I have a recent MYLR (4 weeks old, 23 plate), just had a towbar fitted - during fitment they discovered that it needed this board so gave me a loaner overnight (M3P, rocketship!), all sorted by the next day and seems to work fine with my caravan lights. So it seems that it's still an ongoing issue with MYs that need this board fitted for the tow kit.
One thing that doesn't work is the permanent live, so no fridge or charging in caravan (which is fine by me, solar onboard and ice packs in the fridge!), The only real casualty for me is the fact my Alko ATC system (anti-snake, stability control) doesn't get power, so doesn't actually function, not a big deal, I tow carefully so don't rely on it, the onboard brakes are purely mechanical, so no issue there.

I'm toying with the idea of buying or making a very short 13pin extension cable, and then using a buck/boost to put 13v onto the perm live feed on the caravan side, just to get ATC active (not planning on fridge or charging, purely for ATC)
Bad idea, or something like this already exist?

I have a recent MYLR (4 weeks old, 23 plate), just had a towbar fitted - during fitment they discovered that it needed this board so gave me a loaner overnight (M3P, rocketship!), all sorted by the next day and seems to work fine with my caravan lights. So it seems that it's still an ongoing issue with MYs that need this board fitted for the tow kit.
One thing that doesn't work is the permanent live, so no fridge or charging in caravan (which is fine by me, solar onboard and ice packs in the fridge!), The only real casualty for me is the fact my Alko ATC system (anti-snake, stability control) doesn't get power, so doesn't actually function, not a big deal, I tow carefully so don't rely on it, the onboard brakes are purely mechanical, so no issue there.

I'm toying with the idea of buying or making a very short 13pin extension cable, and then using a buck/boost to put 13v onto the perm live feed on the caravan side, just to get ATC active (not planning on fridge or charging, purely for ATC)
Bad idea, or something like this already exist?
Last time I looked for the Model 3 according to the 13-pin pinout in the manual only the lights and associate ground wires are connected.
There is no 'ignition' or 'battery' 12v power on the plug.
I presume the same holds true for the Model Y tow plug.

Reactions: dafish

Almost certainly, yes it will need that body control module fitting. Make sure they have it in stock before you go in for service; it’s absence can be remotely spotted.

Last time I looked for the Model 3 according to the 13-pin pinout in the manual only the lights and associate ground wires are connected.

It is true for all US Models since, at the very least, the move to the LI 12V battery. Perhaps sooner.

The M3 has never had anything above pin 8 wired up, so it only runs the essentials and no auxiliaries. The MY has wavered between offering the higher pins and not. At one point the modules they were providing did offer auxiliary switched and live, however the latest modules don’t seem to offer this. The manual even states it may or may not work.
IMG_5551.jpeg

The M3 has never had anything above pin 8 wired up, so it only runs the essentials and no auxiliaries. The MY has wavered between offering the higher pins and not. At one point the modules they were providing did offer auxiliary switched and live, however the latest modules don’t seem to offer this. The manual even states it may or may not work.
View attachment 966442
So can i charge my trailer 12v battery with the pin-10?