Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tow Package available soon from Tesla Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gm guys, good to see the detailed posts about tow hitch installs. I notice some people decided to go with second party (non-tesla) tow hitches. I read that Tesla wont allow you to purchase the towing package software unless you buy the Tesla tow hitch.

I have my model Y RWD arriving this month and want a tow hitch mainly for a bike rack. I likely wont have the skills to install myself so am wondering if I should go with the tesla installed to hitch or is there better (cheaper) alternatives?

What are the benefits and potential issues with going with a non tesla tow hitch??

thanks in advance
The decision is yours in the end. From what others have said, both Carasel and Stealth cost $1850 installed. Tesla charged $1970.
Is the $120 worth it to you that something will be blamed on the non-genuine hitch? The chances of that are very slim though - these 2 companies have good reputations, and seem well engineered. It's not like there are lots of reports of issues with them. People with them have gone to the Service Centre for other work, and no one said anything.

Or is the Trailer Mode worth the extra $120 to you? It apparently enables Trailer Sway Mitigation, but that's not needed for a bike rack. Downsides are that it disables some Autopilot features, rear parking sensor functionality, and side-collision automatic steering interventions. Although can Trailer Mode just be turned off in the settings while towing, to keep those features on? I'll have to test that.

I can imagine potential problems with incorrect installs are wiring issues, electronic glitches, battery drain etc. In extreme cases of bad design, damage to the drive battery due to poor mounting location or excessive load on areas not designed for it (but I haven't heard of anything like this, and definitely not with well known brands).
Benefits of some non-genuine ones are the anti-rattle bolt. Because there's a bit of play with the hitch, I'm still trying different things to reduce the rattle/knock when going over bumps with my genuine Tesla one. Space is so tight where it sits inside the bumper, that most measures don't fit.

The decision is yours in the end. From what others have said, both Carasel and Stealth cost $1850 installed. Tesla charged $1970.
Is the $120 worth it to you that something will be blamed on the non-genuine hitch? The chances of that are very slim though - these 2 companies have good reputations, and seem well engineered. It's not like there are lots of reports of issues with them. People with them have gone to the Service Centre for other work, and no one said anything.

Or is the Trailer Mode worth the extra $120 to you? It apparently enables Trailer Sway Mitigation, but that's not needed for a bike rack. Downsides are that it disables some Autopilot features, rear parking sensor functionality, and side-collision automatic steering interventions. Although can Trailer Mode just be turned off in the settings while towing, to keep those features on? I'll have to test that.

I can imagine potential problems with incorrect installs are wiring issues, electronic glitches, battery drain etc. In extreme cases of bad design, damage to the drive battery due to poor mounting location or excessive load on areas not designed for it (but I haven't heard of anything like this, and definitely not with well known brands).
Benefits of some non-genuine ones are the anti-rattle bolt. Because there's a bit of play with the hitch, I'm still trying different things to reduce the rattle/knock when going over bumps with my genuine Tesla one. Space is so tight where it sits inside the bumper, that most measures don't fit.
Thanks for yous insights. Very helpful.

Gm guys, good to see the detailed posts about tow hitch installs. I notice some people decided to go with second party (non-tesla) tow hitches. I read that Tesla wont allow you to purchase the towing package software unless you buy the Tesla tow hitch.

I have my model Y RWD arriving this month and want a tow hitch mainly for a bike rack. I likely wont have the skills to install myself so am wondering if I should go with the tesla installed to hitch or is there better (cheaper) alternatives?

What are the benefits and potential issues with going with a non tesla tow hitch??

thanks in advance
My understanding of the Tesla Tow software is that its main function is to switch off the ultrasonic sensors at the rear when towing. I believe this can be and advantage when in Autopilot (when the USS are all on). For myself, I would not use Autopilot when towing (for me, a trailer) so it wouldn't be a big loss/
Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong in my understanding of that.

Reactions: catham8
The Stealth cost me $1050 for the kit, it shouldn't cost $800 extra to install?

Yeah I think tom included the cost of the additional ball etc
The Stealth cost me $1050 for the kit, it shouldn't cost $800 extra to install?

I got a quote from them to install and it was 450 if I drive to them or 500 if they come to me. So is the total cost $1050 plus $450 = 1500.

Does that include the hitch and towball or is that extra?

I don't believe it is an innate warranty problem - any more than having window tint fitted or other aftermarket accessories does. Any aftermarket work done badly has the potential to affect the warrenty.
Right. I was talking to one of the Tesla techs lamenting at how there is no official option for the 3, and he said there isn’t an issue assuming it is installed correctly.

Reactions: RichardV
I read that Tesla wont allow you to purchase the towing package software unless you buy the Tesla tow hitch.
You don't want the towing package software. It prevents Autopilot when towing. Which is fair enough when towing a heavy load. But my bicycle rack has plug in lights and would trigger the Autopilot disable, if I had the Tow package software.

what are the practical implications of NOT having the tow software when you towing
The main implication is that you'll get constant beeping from the ultrasonics when you're reversing.
Trailer mode also disables autopilot, increases the following distance on cruise control and disables automatic steering interventions

From the EU Manual:

1688724658034.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Yeah I think tom included the cost of the additional ball etc

I got a quote from them to install and it was 450 if I drive to them or 500 if they come to me. So is the total cost $1050 plus $450 = 1500.

Does that include the hitch and towball or is that extra?
Yeah I saw Astro66 mentioned $1850, but that was including the hitch/ball, correct.
Tesla doesn't include one, so that's an additional downside. Unless someone doesn't mind if they're just attaching eg. a bike rack.

And I must've misread JayTee's $1050 as $1850, my mistake...

You don't want the towing package software. It prevents Autopilot when towing. Which is fair enough when towing a heavy load. But my bicycle rack has plug in lights and would trigger the Autopilot disable, if I had the Tow package software.
Do you need the plug in lights on the bike rack? I am probably going to do what you did and get the EV stealth tow bar for $1050 fitted by them at my house for $500. Then buy a bike rack that suits, might even get that same rack you got as it looks good and tilt feature looks good.

I haven't taken delivery of my MYR yet but hopefully this month. I am getting it on novated lease and the lease company said to get all accessories now and I can include in the financed amount therefore I cannot get it from tesla as I understand as they dont allow you to pre-order the tow bar before you get the car?

You can turn it off.

But if you don't have the Tesla tow package you can never turn it on, even if you are towing a heavy load.
Didn't know you could turn it off. Either way. I use it for a bike rack and 500kg tinnie. If I towed anything heavy, which I have no plans to, I just wouldn't use autopilot.
Yeah I saw Astro66 mentioned $1850, but that was including the hitch/ball, correct.
Correct.
Do you need the plug in lights on the bike rack?
If the bikes impede vision of your lights, and you don't have a light bar after the bikes, you can be fined. Same with the number plate.

I have lights and additional number plate on the back of the bike rack. Keep in mind the number plate on the bike rack needs to be lit, if you drive at night, and number plate lighting is part of my bike rack.

Lots of people don't worry about it, but it only takes one cop, and it's a decent fine. Can be up to $2200.

1688800834909.png