Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tow Package available soon from Tesla Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't imagine putting a vert rack on a model 3 - but my single-trail.com.au bike rack has an adjustment on the bottom to stop the wobble (put tongue in, tighten adjustment with spanner).

you would want a towbar rated for plenty of down weight capacity - the racks themselves are heavy - even before you get 4 bikes on it.
I think the new SL100 racks are 29kg. Overall I calculated my total load including the rack at 93-105kg fully loaded. Too far over the Tesla's bar limit of 72kg, but comfortably under the 160kg of the stealth or Carasel. My Yakima Hold-Up 2 is 22kg, so loaded it ends up at 67kg so not a lot of margin and only 2 bikes.

Aside from not wanting to run it on the M3, are you happy with the single-trail rack with whatever you're currently using it on?

I'm happy with it - the latch mech can be ever so slightly clunky, construction is solid, it's a hefty lift on & off - but the tie down method is great, when carrying bikes of different sizes/type you need to load them in specific position/order.

Also if you are parked on a slope nose-down it can be quite a stretch to get the front wheel over - but i think thats common to any vert rack - as towbar height shouldn't be *that* much different - actually i do use a hitch that lowers ball height normally.

They also don't fit 20" wheel bikes - but i did see someone with a pool noodle over the bars to make them suit.

I also don't really notice any economy difference with the rack and bikes on :D - and only 1l/100 difference with a loaded car trailer :D

Attachments

• PXL_20210507_060016031.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210507_060016031.MP.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 51
I'm happy with it - the latch mech can be ever so slightly clunky, construction is solid, it's a hefty lift on & off - but the tie down method is great, when carrying bikes of different sizes/type you need to load them in specific position/order.

Also if you are parked on a slope nose-down it can be quite a stretch to get the front wheel over - but i think thats common to any vert rack - as towbar height shouldn't be *that* much different - actually i do use a hitch that lowers ball height normally.

They also don't fit 20" wheel bikes - but i did see someone with a pool noodle over the bars to make them suit.

I also don't really notice any economy difference with the rack and bikes on :D - and only 1l/100 difference with a loaded car trailer :D
Sweet, thanks

Had the EV Stealth Towbar fitted yesterday, and using my old Thule VeloCompact (3 bike) and works well. With it fitted you get beeping from USS in reverse (as it doesn’t tell the car there something there) but that’s no different to the old BMW X3 this replaced.
I didn’t go for the supplied handle on the cover plate (but ugly) opting to keep original and use a plastic pry tool to open - pretty easy. I got these from Bunnings and two work perfectly - easy and no marks.

Has anyone bought and fitted the EV Towing Australia bar?
Bit cheaper than EV Stealth at the moment, advertise a complete plug and play loom.
Would stay away. A fair few horrible experiences from what we have read on the Tesla Owners Club Australia forum. Linked to fraud and misrepresentation.

Just spent my Saturday installing the EV stealth towbar. Price was $1050 delivered within 2 days from ordering and its the Australian made version.
View attachment 941800View attachment 941802

First step, remove the rear bar and crash beam. The instructions were ok but watching a youtube tutorial first was more helpful. Took about 90 minutes being careful not to scratch any paint.
View attachment 941803

Bolting on the towbar was pretty straightforward bit this is where a few issues arose. Bolting the 3 parts of the towbar together, the instructions called for 140nm torque setting. This is actually wrong and the bolts would have failed well before that figure. Secondly, the bar didn't come with any nylon washers to space the bar to keep the 2 different metals apart. Other kits do this as there can be rust issues if you dont. I called them and their intstaller said they dont see the need and thought they were only there on other kits to avoid rattles. I elected to go to bunnings and add the spacers to be safe.
View attachment 941804View attachment 941805

Next, the wiring. This gave me the most pain, it is definitely not plug and play. Requires tapping into the factory loom. I even had to wire up the included trailer plug. After wiring it all and testing, the right indicator wasn't working. Checked with a multimeter and found the wire the instructions tell you in 3 seperate places to tap into (grey wire) was the wrong one. Retapped and all working. Also you need a grommet to run the wiring to the towbar and that wasn't included. The wiring overall took way too long and was painful. Fitting the rear bar was pretty easy. Whole thing took about 8 hours but would be 3 or 4 if I was to do it again.
View attachment 941806View attachment 941807View attachment 941809View attachment 941810
View attachment 941811
Thanks for the informative review on this thread. Got ours on order through EV Stealth and thinking about giving it a crack myself over the break... but not sure. I'm not sure i'm as handy as you!

Would stay away. A fair few horrible experiences from what we have read on the Tesla Owners Club Australia forum. Linked to fraud and misrepresentation.

Can you elaborate? Not on that forum. I messaged the website and they were straight back to me with answers to the questions I had.

The company has shown up to a few EV shoes and such. Seemed to me they were trustworthy enough.

Bit cheaper than EV Stealth at the moment, advertise a complete plug and play loom.
I ordered a Model 3 towbar and had a negative experience from start to finish. They marked it as shipped but nothing ever appeared on the tracking. I emailed them several times across a period of a couple of weeks and every single email went ignored. Finally they replied to one and promised "it would be shipped today". It wasn't, and I had to continue chasing them up for another week or two until they finally shipped it (but again didn't bother replying to tell me this, I only knew from watching the tracking). That wasn't the end because they shipped it to the wrong address. They tried to put the blame back on me and claimed I gave them the wrong address. This can be proven false by the order confirmation email which clearly lists my correct address. After finally getting it from the person at the wrong address, I found that the wiring harness hadn't been crimped properly and some of the wires fell apart during installation. Luckily I have a crimp tool and was able to remove the pins from the connectors and re-crimp them. The towbar is now installed and working but I wouldn't recommend dealing with this unprofessional company. Subsequently finding out the same owner (Nick) has been linked to fraud from some of the Committee members of TOCA.

Just curious, what made you choose an aftermarket tow package than the Tesla units ?
Note no genuine Tesla bar for Model 3. However TOCA had EV Stealth's bar tested and certified here in Australia. They also had a good network of installers including a mobile service that came to my home and installed within 1.5 hours.

After market is also alot cheaper for Model Y.

Can you elaborate? Not on that forum. I messaged the website and they were straight back to me with answers to the questions I had.

The company has shown up to a few EV shoes and such. Seemed to me they were trustworthy enough.
Copy and Paste below:
The owner (Nick Carney) is linked to two failed businesses (Positive Auto Power and Alpha EV) prior to starting EV Towing Australia. They were a reseller for Stealth and i bought from them because he was based in Brisbane (not far from me). After taking our full payment and not recieving our towbar, we followed up for over a month with no response. We then called Stealth directly who also couldn't get in contact with him. This made me extremely paranoid. Through some investigation, i found out Nick's business location and confronted him in person which he had no acceptable explanation. It was only at this point i was offered a refund. Completely unacceptable business behaviour and waste of my time and energy for what should have been a very straight forward transaction.

Reactions: S.Burns72
Thanks for all that info.

Looking at the EV stealth website, for the model Y bar with the 7 pin flat trailer plug, does anyone know if the plug wiring harness is fully plug and play, or does it require some splicing or joining to the car wires?

Just that I would need to DIY as I live regionally with no installers. I am competent to install from a mechanical point, but wouldn't be too keen to be splicing into the car wiring myself.

Is there a recommended EV Stealth installer in Sydney?

Thanks for all that info.

Looking at the EV stealth website, for the model Y bar with the 7 pin flat trailer plug, does anyone know if the plug wiring harness is fully plug and play, or does it require some splicing or joining to the car wires?

Just that I would need to DIY as I live regionally with no installers. I am competent to install from a mechanical point, but wouldn't be too keen to be splicing into the car wiring myself.
Send them a note and they can email you the instructions.

The rack fit's, so it's the 2" hitch. The spec also says 2".
View attachment 939715

@Astro66 Hey mate, I got the same rack and tow bar as you and only now got around to putting the bike rack together. Have an issue where I cannot get bike rack shaft to slide onto the square receiver. I have noticed that where the drill holes have been made in the square receiver there is a burr (a bit of residual metal left over from the drilling). This is preventing the bike rack shaft from sliding into the square receiver. I assume you didn’t have this issue. Seems like poor workmanship for a $1000 piece of kit. I have contacted EV stealth solutions. I may have to buy a metal file and file these burrs down and then hope it fits.

I was also wondering how you secured your auxiliary plates to the bike rack?

I was also wondering which adaptor did you buy to convert the 7 pin round plus to the 7 pin flat plug?

Thanks

@Astro66 Hey mate, I got the same rack and tow bar as you and only now got around to putting the bike rack together. Have an issue where I cannot get bike rack shaft to slide onto the square receiver. I have noticed that where the drill holes have been made in the square receiver there is a burr (a bit of residual metal left over from the drilling). This is preventing the bike rack shaft from sliding into the square receiver. I assume you didn’t have this issue. Seems like poor workmanship for a $1000 piece of kit. I have contacted EV stealth solutions. I may have to buy a metal file and file these burrs down and then hope it fits.

I was also wondering how you secured your auxiliary plates to the bike rack?

I was also wondering which adaptor did you buy to convert the 7 pin round plus to the 7 pin flat plug?

Thanks
Sorry to hear about the poor quality control of the towbar. But yeah, I'd just note where it's rubbing and file it down. But don't forget to touch up the paint, to prevent rust.

I just drilled holes and used stainless screws and locknuts for the number plate.

I got 7 pin flat, and bought a 7 pin flat male plug, for the bike rack. $7 on ebay.

1704433026779.png