Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - UK deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking getting a model3 (stuck between a lr and performance ) and was wondering if anyone has heard of when the model y will be released. as it will suit the family needs a bit more haha. I’ve heard some 2021 but also heard they are a bit ahead in production

Crystal ball time.

Even a few months before Model 3 order book opened in UK, Tesla were saying end of year. It opened earlier in May, meaningful order quantities not until late August/Sep. I think that was nearly 2 years after US started getting theirs.

Although the waiting is not fun, I reckon that the RHD/UK deliveries not arriving until many months after the first US inventory is a good thing.

Gives Tesla more time to iron out major and minor issues in the production line as well as build quality and fit and finish.

Although the waiting is not fun, I reckon that the RHD/UK deliveries not arriving until many months after the first US inventory is a good thing.

Gives Tesla more time to iron out major and minor issues in the production line as well as build quality and fit and finish.

Pretty sound reasoning, will lease the m3 and hopefully by the time it finishes the y will be available and had any imperfections ironed out

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
Im guessing Q2 2021

Reason - guessing Y will start rolling out in April this year in US and Europe/UK will start to see them a year after. They have learnt a lot from the 3 so should be smooth sailing from here on.

there is very little chance of that happening, model Y isn’t going to be out in volume until at least Q4 in the US.

Tesla slow down international expansion on purpose to maximise sales so they won’t be prioritising RHD before they have capitalised on the LHD.

There is also limitations on battery pack supplies that they need to expand with new models.

I think mid 2022 is a reasonable guess, if demand is not as high as expected then perhaps earlier.

Reactions: Yev000 and Roy W.
No one is mentioning GF4. Musk has already said Ys will be produced there. It would make more sense for them to produce RHD Ys at GF4 Berlin, for shipping reasons, opposed to sending them across the Atlantic.
Not just shipping. 10% import duty on cars from US. Tesla will be keen to supply ALL 3 and Y EU cars from Germany as soon as possible.
I know we will not be in the EU by then but assuming parity for now. It is quite possible that we will have to wait for GF4.
On the other hand we/Ireland are the only significant RHD market in Europe so will Tesla choose to make all the RHD vehicles in one location initially? Germany is not the best place to ship to Australia and Japan etc so it could be that We get supply from the US but the rest of europe is supplied from Germany.

Reactions: CMc1
2yrs is a long time ..there may well be other manufacturer models out there by then albeit without their own charger network and dysfuctional driver aids. I really, really fancy the roadster but guess that'll be 3 yrs and if there hasn't been a sea change in customer service then I'll look elsewhere. In reality things like super-fast 0-60 times aren't all that useful to me apart from showing off. Sub7secs would do fine. It's the roadster touted 600mile range and general look I'm after. Or a way longer range taycan.

I’ll be surprised if we get it over here. It’s so large as to be impractical with our road sizes (and parking space sizes!)

The Cybertruck seems to be being marketed as a post-apocalypse truck for survivalists to use if/when society breaks down, so I guess we'll have to see how the next few months go to see if we'll get it in the UK:)

As for Model Y, I reckon 2 years after the US, so it depends on when it comes out in the US. Possibly in the US mid/late 2020 and so UK mid/late 2022.